In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Go the overkill route use steel ones. Hell you know as much as the structural engineer.

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  2. corncob

corncob

Looks fine to me actually.

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and wildwest like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

But town code says I must use said professional. I can do everything else DIY(even the beem/brace as long as its spec'ed), But the structural has to be engineer approved. Or no sign off.

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

But, but that is too strict. Use prefabbed holes cut in the floor to anchor to, say 10' on a side, plenty of give and take, the engineer should have no quibbles with that and sign off really fast.

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  5. Dpopps

Dpopps

Got some white stuff. Put the snows on the wifes ride and got the blower on.

Attached Files:

6. corncob

corncob

It's 24 here right now. Feels like 13 and it does. Went out for a bucket of pellets and did it real quick like. 70 inside, 55%RH. Good to go for now. Cleaned the stove this after noon as well.

No snow here and glad of that. I'm sure there will be, the snow season is young. I run the same tires year around, never change them Bridgestone Duelers on the Suburban and Blizzaks on the car and the van (no studs of course).

bogieb likes this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

NICE.

8. bogieb

bogieb

Now that I don't put many miles on the rig, that is what I do - keep the snows on all year long. The explorer came with Geolander G055 M&S, which I had never used before. Way back in the previous centruy, I used the Duelers on my 4 runners year round and really liked them.

9. corncob

corncob

The Burb is part time all wheel drive and it's a gas guzzling tank (no surprise there with it's big V8) so the duelers work fine on it. My care (Focus) is front wheel drive and My wife's mini van is too. Snow has to be pretty deep for them to get parked and the Burb put in service.

It's a 'heat wave' here this AM, 18 (f) outside. Time to break out the shorts...lol. Unseasonably cold for this time of year here. No wind though at least not this morning. 70 in here but I can see I'll have to fire up the humidifier soon. The RH is going south pretty quick.

bogieb likes this.
  10. scajjr2

scajjr2

I do the same with the Corolla, only driving maybe 2K a year on each car now. Rav4 has a great set of Yokohama all season with a very aggressive tread pattern, General AtliMax on the Corolla. Still have about 4-5K of tread left on the other set of rims that have Yokohama all seasons the Corolla came with, used to swap the snows over every fall.
    Both vehicles are 2015s, only 54K on the Corolla, 47k on the Rav

Have Unitil on our street finishing up the tree trimming they started yesterday. Giant chipper disposing of what they cut down yesterday, fired right up at 8am. Glad I wasn't going to sleep in this morning. But at least don't have to worry about trees/branches taking out the power lines in snow or ice storms.

Guess heating season is for real now, P43 running all week. My brother (staying with us as he recovers from a couple mini strokes) is amazed at how well it keeps the whole house warm.

sam

imacman, bogieb, Orson_Yancey and 2 others like this.
  11. corncob

corncob

The one important aspect of warmth in any dwelling is maintaining the relative humidity. You get below about 50%, the warmth 'feels' cold because the lower the RH, the more your body sheds moisture and that makes you feel colder. Far as tires are concerned, I run the Blizzaks all year, winter and summer and aside from the constant noise, they wear very well. In fact, the last set on my wife's mini van went 65K miles. I'm good with that and I mount and balance my own tires anyway' least the automotive tires. Tractor tires are handled by the local farm tire outfit with their service truck. Not about to fiddle with them. Takes special tools and a jib crane to mount and dismount them and each rear rim and tire weigh about 600 pounds. The rear's have cast iron centers. This spring I'm gonna have to reshoe one of them to the tune of 6 grand.

bogieb likes this.
  12. Dpopps

Dpopps

Cold house this morning, thought there was enough pellets in da hoppa  66f isn't that bad but everyone thought otherwise.

Didn't realize how cold and windy it was. Stove gets hungry at these temps.

imacman, bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  13. corncob

corncob

Amy just informed me that Kalamazoo (Michigan) got 2 feet of snow last night. It can stay north of us, fine with me.

bogieb likes this.
  14. Dpopps

Dpopps

I think we only got 4-5 inches but it's windy and starting to make drifts. There's a cold temp and gale wind warning on my phone. Current temp with wind chill is 6f.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

What is a gale wind?

imacman, bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  16. Dpopps

Dpopps

It's windy out

17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I had to google it! :D

imacman, bogieb, Dpopps and 1 other person like this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks, thought it might be a boating term, got it now. You guys should use WY wind instead lol

imacman, jtakeman and Dpopps like this.
  19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Barely broke freezing today. Beast did better with the sealing of some of the drafts. Only used 1 1/2 bags today. and it was colder than thursday/friday where it used 2 bags+

Adding attic insulation should be huge!!

imacman, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  20. corncob

corncob

About 1.5 bags for us currently and the house is at 71 including the upstairs. Was 13 when we got up, never broke freezing here either and it's back down to 20 currently and I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo.

I need to get the humidifier online. the RH is dropping like a rock.

Has to be global warming...lol

bogieb likes this.