In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. corncob

corncob

Their cost of fuel (just like your cost of fuel) has increased exponentially, so your electric bill also increases. They are in business to remain viable after all.

Vicious circle that won't abate until there is a regime change in DC and that won't change unless people get out and vote.

(Hint).

Really, the only thing you can do is be more efficient with your power usage. I've converted most of my lighting to LED lamps and we are very careful about unnecessary use of electricity as well as propane as the cost of propane is climbing as well. Even NG is climbing.

Orson_Yancey, bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I guess I should look into a new 'puter.

bogieb, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

When one of ours pukes, I use it for target practice and I put a orange dot on the hard drive....

bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Mine no puke, just am looking for less power consumption.

bogieb, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  5. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

My wholesale rate has tripled.

6. bogieb

bogieb

Didn't they also have a huge rate increase this time last year? One of the utilities did, but maybe not them. Froom the numbers presented, it sounds like Unitil is raising not only energy rates 77%, but all their extraneous charges too (delivery etc).

Eversource had smaller rate hike last year. Sure, this year's is at 100% (only of the energy portion, not the all the other charges) but less increase overall. Too bad our power stations couldn't burn rocks - we wouldn't have to import a large percentage of the resources to make electricity then.

IHATEPROPANE and imacman like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

:jaw:

And yet, people instantly claim price gouging when prices go up. Saw someone on FB do exactly that last night (and not of the same party as the current administration). And, the current admin already told gas companies they can't use the hurricane as an excuse to raise prices (and I would assume by extension the recent fire at the refinery in OH).

I have no doubt that at times there is gouging, but I'm guessing that when refineries go offline (unplanned) and it is uncertain when they will restart again, then prices will go up because of availability. Exactly how a free market works or everyone would go out and hoard, which would create even more of a shortage (yes, I know we have a semi-free market so no one needs to correct me on that point).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  8. scajjr2

scajjr2

Unitil does their rate change application around this time every year, they usually take effect in Nov or Dec then do another one in May. Eversource, Liberty, NH Co-op do theirs on a different schedule. No idea why. The article said Unitil plans this rate to go for 8 months instead of 6, maybe they plan to get on the same schedule as all the others now.

We'd love to do solar but way too many trees not only on our property but the whole area across the street from us. Even in summer our front yard (house faces S-SW) doesn't get much sun after 3pm cause the trees on the west side of our & our neighbor's east side property block it out.

sam

9. BHags

BHags

We have the same issue with trees and hills, so solar on the house is out of the question. We are signed up on a community solar project, so that provides some savings on the electric bill. Something you could look into. Solar farms are popping up everywhere.

bogieb, IHATEPROPANE and imacman like this.
  10. corncob

corncob

Which means of course you have to increase the price of your product to maintain your profit margin. If you don't, you'll be soon out of business.

Same way here but with a different product. I had to increase my per bale price on hay to cover the increased fuel cost, as well as the cost for supplies like net and twine as well as items like lubricants. Went from 25 bucks per 4x5 net wrapped rounds to 30 bucks per just to maintain and nothing more. I did tell my customers that if the input costs come down, the price per bale also decreases. Not onto gouging anyone never have been but at the same time I cannot be a charitable business and survive. By the same token, if input costs increase again, so does the price of my round bales increases, how the game is played and neither you nor I have any control over that.

11. corncob

corncob

Always get a charge out of the term 'solar farm' It's not a farm at all, it's an industrial installation, usually situated on viable farm ground that takes that ground out of production. I'm 100% against the 'solar farm' idea. If you want solar, install it on your roof or over a parking lot (like they do in Australia), not on viable farm ground. The driving reason for situating panels on viable farm ground is 'greed'. The land owner can make more money by leasing the ground to a solar installer. Problem is if you read the fine print, with most of them, the landowner is solely responsible for remediation once the panels have reached their useful productive life and make no mistake, solar panels degrade over time and at some point (usually 20 years) they are no longer viable for producing power and then the landowner is responsible for disposal as well as removal of the supporting structures.

I'd much rather eat farm produced produce than eating a solar panel. The don't digest well.

12. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

EverSource raised the Supplier charge to 22 cents effective with August 2022. Total electric charge per KWH is about 33 cents,
    the highest in the nation. I selected Direct Energy as a supplier.

bogieb and imacman like this.
  13. scajjr2

scajjr2

Doesn't appear to be anything near us unfortunately.

sam

14. bogieb

bogieb

My town has a solar "farm" on top of the capped landfill. That land is good for nothing and they can't sell it. They also can't let trees grow on it because it has to be monitored (and maybe for other reasons - I'm no expert). So, it is put to use as a solar farm and I believe they capture a bit of methane too from the buried garbage.

Solar panels don't magically stop producing energy after 20-25 years. They do degrade, but they still produce. There is an off-grid place in NH that has panels that have been up for over 40 years. And grid tied solar panels that have been up since 1993. (There was a news report on the local station not too long ago so I remembered them ) Are they producing what they did when new? No, of course not. But they do still produce energy.

The warranty is for a guaranteed production rate is 20-25 years - not necessarily the life span. At least if you get quality panels. However, that doesn't negate the fact that they do eventually need to be disposed of, which may be problematic and create its own set of headaches in the future. Of course for a commercial venture, as opposed to a homeowner, that reduced rate of production may warrant replacing the equipment though, I don't know.

15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Most solar "farms" are on what is considered usable farm land and not on what would be considered waste lands. The panels both degrade and become damaged. They need replacement but basically it is subsidy grabbing at the current time. Somebody will pay the piper.

IHATEPROPANE and Scot Linkletter like this.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Updated

Dead pest count
    Tree rats 16 6 red and 10 grey, chipmunks 27.... still have more of each.

17. imacman

imacman

Most panels have a "useable" lifetime of 25 years, and pretty bulletproof from hail, etc. Not sure what else out in the middle of a field would damage them.
    When they installed mine, they dropped one panel off the roof, picked it up, & put it in place. Never had an issue with it. :coffee:

18. PelletHound

PelletHound

Kill em all.Let God sort em out.:rootintootin::rootintootin::rootintootin::rootintootin:Bastids got all my tomatoes.:mad:

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  20. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

The old statistic of one.

IHATEPROPANE likes this.