In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

X5 OM!

2. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Hi guys! Happy Fall! Like everyone else we are prepping for Winter. Just topped off the old oil tank just in case. $2.99 a gallon. Favorite Fuels in Hampton Falls. I am happy that a tank lasts me at least 2 years. I suppose I should look at firing up the Accentra to make sure it works as it should. Did a disassemble and clean this Spring so it should be good to go...but you never know.
    Sorry to be a fair weather friend :D I've been so durned busy this Summer now that I'm officially retired. I almost wish I was working again so I could get some days off! I'll be checking in more regularly now that the cooler weather is here.

3. bogieb

bogieb

Glad the fire was minor.

I'm pretty sure that isn't your standard QC test, but at least the product is proven out :D

4. bogieb

bogieb

Started up the P61a last night. Basement is down to 64, which isn't bad, but with the daytime highs only in the 50's and the wind (which we haven't had for at least 10 days - been very calm out), I figured might as well warm it up to 68 and warm up my main level floors a bit.

Rookie Mistake Alert: When starting the the P61a, I unplugged the OAK and re-attached it to the stove, added 2 bags of pellets to the empty hopper, checked to make sure aall the insides were, um, inside and seated properly since I had done spring cleaning about a month ago. Put new batteries in the thermostat, plugged in the stove, turned on the 'stat and Voila'. Er, hmm, that's not good, the blowers are going and all, but the auger isn't turning.

Turned everything off, unplugged the stove, removed the fines box cover and re-seated it just to make sure. Plugged it in, put it in test, AND, um, still no auger. I took off the back and checked the motor - nope, not turning and is very clean. Okay, maybe something is jamming the auger, so I scooped out all the pellets I had just emptied into the hopper - nothing obvious and the sliding plate is closed. Hmmm. Well, alright, I sent a message to don2222 thru this forum, asking if he would put me on the list for a visit whenever - no emergency or big deal to let it sit a while.

Don called me about 8:30 last night and let me know he compiled a list of things for me to check and posted it on my message. I told him I would check it htis morning and get back to him. We chatted for a couple of minutes (both of us had definitely had a MONDAY), and we said our goodbys. I settled back to get back to sleep (I'd just begun snoozing when he called - I was up at 1 am that morning and regardless am usually in bed by 9). So I lay there for a minute or two, the cats just get comfy laying on me again (they had scattered when Don called :)) -

AND IT HITS ME. I had never unpacked the exhaust. I pack it after the last run in the spring with newspaper and then cover with a baggie (using a rubber band to snug up). Keeps out some of the moisture and keeps out all critters during the summer. I laid there a couple of more minutes, and knew I wouldn't sleep while that thought was in my head. So I got up, go outside, unpack the exhaust, plug in the stove, turn it onto test - YAY, the auger turns. Re-loaded the hopper, started the stove up and watched the beautiful flame develop, then called Don and let him know what an idiot I am. It was a direct result of his calling me that my memory was jogged that I hadn't entirely un-summerized the stove, so KUDOS TO HIM :handshake:

5. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

Eventually you would have gotten an error code on the board (probably 6) but you didn’t let it run long enough….:D:D

6. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

7. imacman

imacman

Suggestion: After getting done with the end-of-season cleaning & getting the stove ready for it's summer snooze, I always put a note on top of the pellets (or in the empty hopper) of everything I had to do before starting the stove back up in the fall. My memory just wasn't good enough to remember everything. :headbang:

8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Fired the oil monster for the first time test yesterday. Heat the place back up to 70 pretty quickly. Set the stat to 55 just so we don't wreck any of the new plumbing.

9. scajjr2

scajjr2

Seeing the forecast shows could be around 30 overnight Sun into Mon. Was hoping to make it to Nov before firing up the P43 but doesn't look that way. Also seeing reports of a La Nina going into winter. Could be a bit colder around these parts.

sam

10. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Just cleaned the little stove....This is an every 3 day thing...as the ash pan is small.

Weather has changed...Rain is here.
    Decided to do a polish job on the drop tube and clear out the carbon build up.

Now the shells fall onto the scatter bar and spread across the fire a lot more evenly.
    Ahhh yess....stove season.

11. bogieb

bogieb

Thing is that I usually do that too - put a sticky on the control panel so I have to take it off and read it before turning the thing on. I even remember thinking about doing that after I did the spring cleaning (last month). But, I thought na, I'll remember since I do this every year. Biggest lie I tell myself all the time: I don't need to write that down . . .

12. BHags

BHags

13. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Still have not done the fall stove cleaning..
    Probly have to give it some thought soon...

Dan

14. imacman

imacman

:rofl: :lol:

IHATEPROPANE and bogieb like this.
  15. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Same down here, maybe a first frost ? Took advantage of the cool am temperatures to haul a ton of Greene Supreme.

20211020_093220.jpg

16. Dpopps

Dpopps

I still haven't cleaned the stove from last winter. Hoping to get it done in the next week, temps still look decent.

17. Earl764

Earl764

I cleaned the stack, exhaust blower, and other bits. Took out the damp rid and did a test fire.

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, gbreda and 5 others like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Same here a couple days ago...fired right up!

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  19. BHags

BHags

Truck question...Is that a half ton pickup, and if so, you have no problem carrying a ton of pellets?

20. scajjr2

scajjr2

Did the same yesterday. Going to get the windows shrink filmed today & tomorrow.

sam

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, bogieb and 2 others like this.