In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Rich250

Rich250

Happy Birthday Sub

2. bogieb

bogieb

Come on GH, tell us how you really feel.

I burned oil at my last house along with a wood stove. It was great to be able to go to anyone for fuel. The house I'm in now has propane for hot water and boiler. I pay way too much for just getting the water hot since my heating is done with pellet stoves. Propane never goes down in price like oil and gas do, it just stays at the same point until the next shortage, then goes up (okay, I exaggerate, I was paying $5.50/gall winter of 2013/2014 but I don't think I've ever paid less than $3.50/gal even shopping around when I took out the 500 gal tank).

3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

30 degrees here this morning, and frost. Pellets are burning.

4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Stove was doing its thing when I got up at 7:30. Just about ready to hibernate, Only a few more items on the do list. Sn*w sneakers on the vehicles. All other maint was finished up yesterday. Chains on the Sn*w tractor. They came in Friday. Taking next Friday off to finish them up!

Dreaded leaves will be saved for last.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. gbreda

gbreda

Same here B

The well shut down about 8 weeks ago but came back overnight. Fist time ever that the well has an issue-may sound odd but I was hoping it was the pump.

I took the warning. Aside from very minor watering can on a few non established plants there has been no outside watereing since (garden plants suffered and lost some) only doing laundry overnight-if its yellow let it mellow now in effect and geberal cut back in water usuage.

Absolutely no rain here for soooo long until tis past week. The few systems that have been near seem to go up the western part of Nh or in the north country missing us completely. So far so good this week and these 2 systems should start the comeback-we hope. At minimum, it will help.

6. gbreda

gbreda

Happened yesterday. More moisture in there under the ash than have ever seen before. Exhaust capped, OSK blocked and damp rid in the firebox.

After cleaning, the walls were still moist-no rust though as the ash still protected. Put stove in test mode to check motors. Buttoned it up. Had a few lbs in the hopper from last year and put it in stove temp mode and we had fire withing minutes :yes:

Test fire ren for about an hour and dried averything right up. Didnt clean the exhause yet as I want to burn off any crud that may be moist there first. Will hit that with lint eater after sie use as the pipes seem pretty clear-ive never had an issue with my set up even letting it go for several ton.

1602968817046.jpg 1602968872760.jpg

Rich250, slvrblkk, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  7. gbreda

gbreda

Late welcome GHinNH !!

Agreed, and thats the beuty of having multiple heat sources-not a slave to either one of them, just use what's cheaper at the time.

Even when oil is low and I use more of that source, I still burn 1-2 ton. BUT I always like to start the season with enought to say screw you oil if the pricing suddenly skyrockets like it has in the past.

Rich250, slvrblkk, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  8. gbreda

gbreda

Happy belated subbie

9. badbob

badbob

14 here,but snow has quit,for a bit.Coffee time

10. imacman

imacman

Happy B-Day Sub!

11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Happy B-day :)

12. gbreda

gbreda

So, no real rust inside, but the top of the stove is developing some.

Ive sanded and re painted in the past. Anyone use Stove Black (polish) ? People i know who have burned wood for years swear by this.

Also if so, can it be used over the paint or should it be used instead of paint? Or should I just hit it with high temp paint again?

13. savemoney

savemoney

Happy Birthday subsailor . I'm a day late, but the intent is the same! Hoping you have a good heating season.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

15. badbob

badbob

Stove "polish" is not to be used over paint.Old style stove "black" is just graphite and carbon,and i do not see why could not be used over paint.Top of one of my stoves got a bit rusty,a while back,I left something wet sit on it.I just cleaned it,buffed it a bit with fine steel wool,opened windows,and hit it with a very light coat of spray paint,not even the whole top,just a section.

savemoney, slvrblkk, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  16. GHinNH

GHinNH

I used to get great satisfaction polishing a wood stove with stove polish, especially cast iron. Beautiful low sheen luster. Not to mention my hands also.. don't scratch your nose!

savemoney, slvrblkk, imacman and 2 others like this.
  17. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Happy belated birthday Sub!

18. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Sub is even older now.

19. gbreda

gbreda

Yeah, the one telling me about this referred to stove black as well. What I saw at the hardware store was polish-states for cast iron and not for painted surfaces. It must need a pourous surface.

Looks like a light cleanup and paint on the top of the stove next weekend

20. bogieb

bogieb

Raked and mowed leaves for about 1.5 hours. Naturally, just like a plow guy, the wind kicked up just after I was done and leaves started raining from the trees. I'll let them be until most of the rest of the leaves fall.

Pulled up all the dead tomato and basil stalks out of the garden containers then dumped the remaining dirt and bark mulch in the one raised bed that I have left. Made sure to put the thyme in there intact so it will keep producing.

Got out the blowers and made sure they start. Sprayed them with silicone so they are read for when the white stuff falls from the sky. Reshuffled everything in the shed so one of the blowers is more accessible while also being able to access the mower that has been in the garage. The other mower was run dry the last time I used it so I put in an inaccessible corner. The other blower has been relegated to the garage.

Cleaned the pellet stoves. The P43 got nearly everything cleaned except the fines box and exhaust. The P43 is weird in that it will accumulate lots of stuff under the firepot, but nothing in the fines box - exactly the opposite of the P61a. The P61a just got a quick brushing, scrape and cleaned under the firepot but that was it. It rarely runs at this time of year so it didn't even have a 1/4 of the ash pan filled yet. I probably should have checked the fines box, but figured it would be okay for now.