In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

imacman and savemoney like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

X2

And 2 geazer naps :D But did wreck the fishing day. :(

3. bogieb

bogieb

Friday I got about 5 minutes of rain. Didn't move the gauge any and after it stopped you couldn't even tell there had been any liquid from the skies by looking at the ground - still dusty and dry. Would have thought I imagined it but the driveway was wet and under the drip line on the ramp to the back door.

Yesterday I got nothing.

I know someone in NY that works at an HD and she showed the PT shelves completely empty a couple of weeks ago. She says they don't know when more is coming in. Last week I went to Concord HD and they just had a couple of 2 x 10's and a big sign at the beginning of the aisle saying there is a shortage. Got lucky and the Lowe's had some 2x4's, but not much.

imacman, savemoney and ttdberg like this.
  4. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Been warm/hot the past several days with mid/upper 80's F to the low 90's F
    We have had the stoves shut off completely......

AC was on into the evening last night.

Got up this morning and 65 F in the house....... Fire going now ...rain on the way.....

Been getting quite a bit of work done on the snowcat.....

Exhaust pretty well finished up now.......

Got the rear axle out and getting it apart.

The last few years have not been kind to the old girl...the diffy had been allowed to fill up with water....ARRRRRRGH

Getting all new bearings coming as well as a gasket kit.....

A few pics.....FILTHY MESS....But salvageable ....

My little helper got in the act too....she is always near by while I am on the puter.

Attached Files:

CleanFire, gbreda, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  5. gbreda

gbreda

Last rain here was weeks ago. Hoping the upcoming forecast is right and we get some over the next few days.

One day last week when some isolated storms were around, I checked the radar while at work-storm just north of home and storm just south with a sliver of nothing in between :confused:

My sister in law told my brother "look this Lowes (or HD?) shows a few PT 6" boards left in stock". My brothers response: " the last few boards at Lowes? Have you ever seen the condition of the last few pieces at big box?"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    CleanFire, subsailor, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  6. scajjr2

scajjr2

Did a search and found this from a home supply center in PA: "Forestry and lumber mills were deemed nonessential early on. While home improvement stores were selling lumber fast, there was nothing being processed to replace the low stock."

I have to imagine with lumber mills, furniture makers and other sawdust/chip sources either being closed (from either being "non-essential" or from lack of raw materials) wood pellet prices will be going up more than they were intended to and possible supply issues. Glad I bought ours as soon as Fallon's opened back up in May. The Vermont's were still $310/ton but I was told the price would be going up (but they didn't know how much yet) and the SNW Dug Fir went up $20/ton.

Just looked on their web site, Vermont's are still $310, SNWDF went up another $5 to $400.

Explains the article I saw on CH 9's site about toilet paper from other countries showing up in a lot of stores in NH.

Sam

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  7. savemoney

savemoney

Out door work where workers are most always away from each other. What is h@ll were they thinking with that restriction. I'll bet the ones who came up with that never had calloused hands.

bogieb, imacman, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  8. imacman

imacman

:rofl: :lol:

savemoney and bogieb like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, pretty much. BUT, I lucked out and reached way in the backy-back (walked between the shelves, where only a smaller person can fit thru) and grabbed 4 good pieces.

10. bogieb

bogieb

So that was yesterday, this is today:

First raised bed gone.jpg

Took a while to hoe out all the tree roots and rocks, then spread excess soil in low lying and uneven areas.

Glad it was cloudy and in the low 80's. The humidity made me sweat while I was standing there chatting to the gal who picked up the flowers I dug up for her.

gbreda, imacman and ttdberg like this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Well heck, if I'd known that all it took was having disturbed, bare earth to wash away was all that Mother Nature was waiting for, I would have hurried that project on some. Got 2.25" last night (probably more since the rain gauge is protected by a fence post on one side - but we'll go by the reading). Not enough to catch up the 4+" we are down, but a good start. Shouldn't have to water the gardens for a couple of days anyway.

12. savemoney

savemoney

Finally getting some rain/showers. best kind for soaking in. Those gully washers just run off leaving little but destruction. What we are having now are showers stuck in a low, spinning aournd and around instead of going out to sea. Normally anything this small would be gone in an hour or so.
    upload_2020-6-29_9-44-39.png

CleanFire, imacman, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  13. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

yea, pretty sad state of affairs for PT......mills are shut down due to “the Bug”, so, the treaters cant get wood, with large backlogs. Prices of course are much, much higher. I ordered a 3rd truck last week....was told it would be 'around 6 weeks" to get it, and couldnt order ANY decking! My 2 previous trucks are due earlier, of course, but still very little decking, let alone dimension such as 2x8. The real kick in the pants is the fact that I dont even know pricing until it ships to me!

So, toilet paper was the shocker commodity of the early spring, now its PT lumber.....I wonder what the commodity for fall will be.....???? :cool:

14. gbreda

gbreda

I took care of my area of the state by lighting the grill and starting the sprinkler to water the garden at the same time around 6:30 pm. Takes 10 minute or so to get the lump charcoal going and was starting to spit as the burgers went on the grill. By the time I was finishing the burgers, I was saying "just hold out for 2 more minutes so I can melt the cheese" :rofl: :lol:

After I took the burgers off and pulled the grill into the garage, it started raining steady and stayed that way most of the night :dex:

15. subsailor

subsailor

Is anyone having issues getting on the site? I keep getting messages saying the site isn't secure. I was able to get past it using Chrome.

This is the message get: Your PC doesn’t trust this website’s security certificate. The hostname in the website’s security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.

Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_INVALID_CA
    DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID

savemoney, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  16. scajjr2

scajjr2

Started getting the same this morning.

Sam

savemoney, imacman and ttdberg like this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

Got that this morning from Firefox. Clicked on the Advanced button, then told it to trust this site anyway. Seems like I went thru the same thing a couple of years ago.

18. PelletHound

PelletHound

I get the same message.Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

19. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

The FHC website’s SSL certificate was expired yesterday morning. Appears it was renewed, but it looks like the new certificate wasn’t issued by a trusted CA, so web browsers don’t trust it. The errors will continue until a valid cert is applied...

savemoney, imacman, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

Over 4" of rain between Sunday night and early yesterday morning :singingintherain: - definitely needed it. The rain gauge was dumped after each picture

Monday morning at 5:40 am
    Rain on 6-29.jpg

Tuesday Afternoon at 3:05; 1" of that was received between 2:30 and 3:00 pm, thunder was booming. lights flickering and house literally shook after a close strike - all while I was trying to hold a virtual meeting for work.
    Rain on 6-30.jpg

Yesterday morning at 6 am.
    Rain on 7-1.jpg