In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Keep'em cold, keep'em full.

2. scajjr2

scajjr2

That's about my glass of beer right?

sam

will711, artc, schoondog and 9 others like this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Of course.

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Had a prescription run in with Wally World's system today, the boss will find out if they got it right or not in the morning. Got the ready email at 9:14 PM.

5. bogieb

bogieb

Wow - glad you caught it! Your freezer must have amazing insulation to stay that cold that long.

6. BHags

BHags

Hoarders. Chicken is cheap and freezes well.

7. gbreda

gbreda

Definitely lucky as I generally dont go in there too often but had half a pie I wasnt eating so decided to freeze it. Otherwise I would have lost it.

Also lucked out with a colder night Sunday, not much sun Monday, snow Tuesday night and as STB pointed out its about 2/3 full right now.

Also years ago it was advised to keep some containers full of water (ICE) in there in case of power loss-helps to keep cold for some extra time.

8. gbreda

gbreda

Picked up a package (one package) a week and a half ago-broke it up and put it in the freezer.
    Yeah, the one that could have lost everything :emb:

9. gbreda

gbreda

Also it s NOT a frost free so it doesnt have a defrost cycle that actually heats up to make it frost free.
    Same person that advised ice containers told me that NON frost free is best for long term meat storage. At the time I bought the freezer (about 12 years ago) was when I was buying large amounts of meat direct from the farm. Minimum is half a pig or quarter cow so a freezer was pretty much required.

Its a Kenmore-we are going to miss some of these brands and quality of the product from even 10-15 years ago now that they are going away and large appliances are not built to last more than 5 to 10 years at most :(

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  10. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Not much happening here....
    Ran the Munchy yesterday to make up a barrel of stove ready shells.
    The last run we made the weather was closing in fast as we were finishing the unloading...so we stored 5 barrels of half shells in the basement.

We had an empty sitting up front by the door, so we decided to start processing the material we had close.

Cleaned the little stove and got it ready to run again.....

Been running the large Whitfield the past couple of days as the weather has been chilly.

GAWD I am tired of this Virus crap.....IT'S ALL YOU HEAR ON TV ARRRRRRRRGH

Saw my tax man yesterday to get my 19 taxes in.

The supposed incentive kicker or whatever they call it will be based on the 19 tax filing.
    I certainly hope our giant economy engine will restart after this mess is over....

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and ivanhoe like this.
  11. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Well, not exactly a shelter in place..
    it is a Stay-At-Home order.
    Just announced.

Dan

12. bogieb

bogieb

Hmm, guess I need to catch the evening local news. My company has been a work-from-home if possible for two weeks. I am fortunate and can do so. However, this company is also one that only the Feds can shut down, so we all received our papers this week in case we have to go into a neighboring state (or NH goes to shelter in place). The Feds have even told us we have to make our deliveries on time (no, not a medical field). So, we're also helping a lot of small companies get back open because they are vital for supplying parts that go into our parts. One of our buildings in MA is shut down while they do a de-contamination because one of the employees tested positive.

ivanhoe, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  13. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Talk about luck... as a rule, I am exempt from it.
    However... it was fairly nice out today, thought I would start
    the bike up for a little ride...
    Battery was almost dead.. click click click...
    Put the charger on it... almost dead.
    Put the boost on it... almost dead...
    Called the bike shop... went down to pick one up.
    Had to go to the side door, front was locked.
    While I was there... the phone rang, it was the office telling
    them that they were closing tomorrow!!
    Put the battery in, and it spun like a new one... went for a little ride...
    Happy guy.
    :banana:

Dan.

14. bogieb

bogieb

Great luck on your part - and good for you getting a ride in!

Yeah, I'm feeling like a genius having my bike delivered out of storage on Tuesday. The dealership has been telling winter storage clients that they should get their bikes out since they didn't know how long they would be open. The delivery was mandated to be no contact - no signing for it as I usually would and I stayed in the garage while they delivered into the driveway. The guy wore gloves while he rolled the bike out of the van. I backed it into the garage and immediately came inside and washed my hands well - can't be too safe.

With new sand and salt on the roads (not to mention I still got snow from the other day), I still probably won't get to ride for another couple of weeks, but at least it is here so I can. And, it has a new battery as its 5-6 year old battery tested weak while it was in winter hibernation. Expecting the announcement from the dealership to come out today.

EDIT: I just heard on the morning news that bike sales and repair shops are considered "essential" (as part of automotive sales / service), so everyone can breathe a sigh of relief if their bikes are still in storage.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  15. imacman

imacman

Battery Tender is your friend.

16. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

I swear by them.. but..
    Not on a dead 7 year old motorcycle battery...
    You can get the voltage up to 13, but with no amperage...

Dan

17. scajjr2

scajjr2

Not knowing how long I will be furloughed I picked up a couple solar battery tenders for each car as they will be sitting for longer periods now. Modern cars use battery power just sitting. The car's computer, modules, alarms, etc., all have a tiny but constant power draw. And a low or weak battery can trigger false check engine lights, false sensor codes as the car's "network" relies on a constant, steady voltage to each component. Have them mounted inside on the windshield, plugged into power socket on dash. As a new car battery these days is $130-$150, $40 for the 2 units is cheap insurance.

sam

18. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

It's called a parasitic drain...
    Some cars, need to be started every 3-4 weeks,
    or you will be needing a booster...

Dan

19. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I have a small battery tender for my motorcycle. I have a dedicated port on the side of the bike so any time I pull the bike in the shed, it gets plugged in. Just like cars, modern bikes often have small parasitic drains that will kill the battery over a period of weeks if not days. You could remove the battery but, at least for me, it's far easier to plug it in. Another thing (not that we have to worry about it so much now) but a discharged battery will freeze while a charged one will not.

My daughter uses a solar charger for her boat while it's on her mooring. I was pleasantly surprised to find both her batteries stayed fully charged even while running a bilge pump from time to time.

20. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

"essential" unless the dealer decides to close to keep their employees and customers safe

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and 2 others like this.