In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Oh, I believe it, my son is in the DC area, panic time when sn*w is even mentioned.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: Kiddos school had to have indoor recess yesterday. Guess why? -6*F with wind. Of course there was couple inches of snow on the ground but there usually is anyway. They get to go outside for recess down to 0*F regardless of how much snow is on the ground.

We hope to move our stove to the "enclosed" porch this year, and use ducting/plenum to get heat in here because of the fan noise. Kitchen/living/dining are all in one room here and of course with the pellet stove. Because of the wind and temps here I often have it on a higher setting with you guessed it, convection on a high speed too. Won't be cheap because we'll have to improve that part of the porch to do it but boy would that be NICE. We'll see if we can pull it off.

3. gbreda

gbreda

I was in Atlanta area in 2014 when we were sent out of the training building because they were closing due to conditions.....:rofl: :lol:
    We were all from the Northeast and thought they were :wacky:

Atlanta.jpg

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 9 others like this.
  4. subsailor

subsailor

It was definitely cold but I'm not sure how cold. My phone said -6, my weather station said -9, and my truck said -13.

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 4 others like this.
  5. savemoney

savemoney

Well, they were all telling you the same thing. Too Cold:shiver::shiver::shiver::shiver:. When it drops below the teens it all seems the same.

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 7 others like this.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I've been on or is it under 4 layers since fall. I'm rather cold around the edges these days, damm beta blockers.

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 5 others like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

Tax refund hit the bank yesterday :makeitrain" - I can buy an extra bag of pellets now :banana:

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 10 others like this.
  8. Earl764

Earl764

that much? Nice

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 6 others like this.
  9. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Hey...
    Tomorrow is it....the big day is finally here.

BRINGING THE CAT HOME (After a 52 year wait)

We head out at 9 ish and get there by 10/10:30

Hook up to Kitty and drag him to his new home.
    A complete makeover is in the offing....
    I'm pumped.... (Whatever that means):rootintootin::rootintootin::makeitrain"

I will try and get pics of this monumental occasion...
    My son in law is bringing his big Dodge 3500 diesel and I am taking our Burb with the trailer many here have seen doing shell runs..
    Gonna be a production for sure.....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  10. bogieb

bogieb

Was out doing errands and picked up 10 bags of FireSide Platinum pellets (100% softies) to try. A little less than $6 per bag - a bit more than regular FSU's, but what the heck, I got my tax return so am splurging :D. Will try them in the P43 once it runs out of its current load of Lignetics Gold (it has about 2 bags in the hopper).

Fireside Platinum bag.jpg

fireside platinum price at Nashua HD.jpg

imacman, schoondog, ivanhoe and 8 others like this.
  11. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

12. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

We went out Tuesday and did a shell run.
    Totally wasted after all day dealing with the shells, plus fighting off the flu....

Argggggh
    No pix...all business that day.

We have been able to throttle back and run the little stove during the day and night and then run the big stove in the morning to catch up....

Weather has been nice

13. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Make sure we get to see pictures!

14. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

OH YEAH....THREAD NO GOOD WITHOUT PIX :rofl: :lol:

I will try to get a piccy with Tony and I and the cat....

Big Orange Kitty

15. savemoney

savemoney

I am trying to figure out how you test any pellet in a Harman. I mean, really, they burn anything you feed them and do a good job at it. The only difference I can see is the amount of ash, and maybe the dust. Yes some are really dusty and others not so much. I don't think there is a big difference in BTU's. I rarely change the settings, but then I rarely get but one or two brands.
    I just ordered a new door gasket for the P68. I noticed the flame being drawn toward the glass and more soot on the upper half of the door. When I open the door I noticed a white beard on the stove where the gasket should be touching. I haven't tried the dollar bill thing. I should. I haven't changed the gasket since I bought the stove new. Last year it passed the test, but the tech said it was a little iffy in a spot. I think I bought the stove 2013-14

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 4 others like this.
  16. savemoney

savemoney

You recall the variety and amount of meds I told you I was taking? Well, I am always too hot. no blankets or maybe just a sheet at night. I wear a sweater when I go outside, or ride in the car. My wife keeps the house so warm, a little cool is a welcomed thing. Big difference between you and me is a huge layer of fat on me. Hard to be cold when wrapped in fat.

imacman, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 3 others like this.
  17. badbob

badbob

OK, been busy, but thought I should respond to this, before checking rest of posts. thought i should reply. Having heated with an Integra, in the dirt floor basement for many years, I learned the drawbacks of a "drop box" as we call them, a top feeder. Served me well, still does, fire it up when below 0. A Harman, with "lesser" quality fuel, produces more ash, and less heat,soots glass up faster. Basically, your normal settings might be a little bit different. As far as gaskets,I have seen too many threads about replacing them, older stoves had poorer airflow,and gasket was a bit of a problem, but as they are negative pressure, not so much a problem. it is not a refrigerator,which is where the "dollar bill" test came from. All newer generation Harman control boards have different running operations, for the combustion and convection blowers. Most other stoves have never had this versatility. Just because you see something a bit "off" around a gasket, does not mean there is a problem.(on a Harman). It "appears" to me Harman has been upgrading the control boards, for user efficiently, and to meet the upcoming standards. My Harman,Accentra, is a 2006, I "refurbished " it, before i decided not to sell it, and installed it in my living room..It has all original gaskets and parts, other than the impeller on the exhaust blower. But, to be honest, It has only burned 4-5 tons a year.

18. bogieb

bogieb

Yes, the amount of ash and the heat output compared to my normal middle-of-the-road is what I'll be looking at. I can't imagine I would have to change the feed rate since I keep it at 3 when it is on the thermostat. Just curiosity on my part since there seems to be a dearth of direct information on these particular pellets. Heck, they aren't even on Fireside's website.

imacman, schoondog, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I am taking metopril ER for my beta blocker and it is the heart rate lowering that makes me feel the cold it is literally around the edges fingers and toes along with the nose and ears.

badbob, imacman, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  20. gbreda

gbreda

Good point Larry

For me, it's ash, heat, ease of firebox cleaning and maybe burnpot carbon. But your right in that many act the same.

The Matras really shine for me on the 10 bag test run. Very low ash, high heat from very little flame. LaCrete are right behind them producing more ash but easy cleanup.

Spruce pointe were similar to LaCrete but haven't burned them for years. Crabbe, MWP, Fireside Ultra seem to be on about the same level of a little less hear, little higher higher ash but still a good pellet for the price and all will be fine for the heating season.

Want to try North Country again (used these 5 years ago) and maybe some Vanderhoof Platinums

Door gasket is very likely due on your stove. Not a difficult process at all and best to do it during burn season as the heat will help cure the cement. A day like today would be ideal as its warm enough to shut down the stove for a few hours and then tonight's burn will cure the cement. Maybe a quick cleaning while the cement sets for an hour prior to putting real pressure on the gasket.

imacman, bogieb, jtakeman and 2 others like this.