In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet Bags, Cords of Wood and Heating Degree Days

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by stuckinthemuck, Jan 4, 2014.

  1. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Stumbled across this yesterday and thought I'd share. Most have been talking about an increase in fuel usage to keep their homes warm (unless significant increases to insulation) and these sites can be used to confirm it.

    First the explanation of a "Degree Day" for those who don't know what it is.

    http://www.degreedays.net/introduction

    And then the site that has the data.

    http://www.weatherdatadepot.com/

    When I took a look at southern NH, using Manchester as an example, I found that we're trending for the coldest winter in 10 years using a balance point of 65 degrees. I'm sure others will find similar results for where they live.

    Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 9.06.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 9.06.19 AM.jpg
     
    raybonz likes this.