In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

PBV to PEX Sux

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Greenstick, Jun 4, 2015.

  1. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Ready to get a big hammer and start swinging because swearin ain't helpin. I am trying to work on plumbing in my camper and one thing leads to ten. Can't get the connecter from pbv to seal to my pex and now the store closed and have to wait until tomorrow. Really tempting to just rip it all out and start new but it is so tight to work I was hoping to use some of the old stuff cuz I don't have a triple jointed elbow to fit how they run the pipes in there.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I got nothing on this PBV, but what about compression fittings? Or is that sorta what you've got going already?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    It is the predecessor to pvc and it has much thinner walls. You use the same clamps as pex but u have to b careful to not over tighten. My first time working with it and am seeing why they went to pex. Run out of clips cuz I over tighted em n leaked.
     
    eatonpcat, wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  4. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    This camper has been on its last legs for the last couple years. I am too stingy to go get a loan for one so I keep performing CPR. My wife is frustrated and wants a much newer one but I won't go in debt for fun.
     
    eatonpcat, wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Can't use the old stuff as a "snake" to get some fresh PEX in there? Just a thought....
     
  6. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    That is a good idea I may just have to use!
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    You posted this while I was posting above- I totally understand:thumbs:, if the plumbing can be patched up and everything else is decent, there ain't no reason to go in debt!
    :hair:
     
    mike bayerl and wildwest like this.
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Minimum charge for advice- FHC friendship, man!
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    :yes:Deal!
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.