In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Paper Collection

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, Mar 22, 2021.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

"Posting about ammo again?"-FHC crowd.

:emb:

:picard:

OK I'll get on with it. Knowing awhile back how muzzleloaders would take powder in parchment as a measured load and pour it down the barrel, the whole paper and guns part isn't new to me. However, reading an article about paper shotgun shells on its element of nostalgia was new and that started a different rabbit hole. Suffice to say, there's a new appreciation for some things that are like these. The article explained about how paper shells after being fired, sniffed have a nuanced smell to them. I've never smelled them after firing them yet but a pawn shop visit just days after reading the article prompted my attention.

Don't know if anyone still likes to fire these off.
    Some 12 Winchester, 20 Winchester, 12 Federal and Peters .410s. Not sure if I'll fire many off. Id like to keep a few as collector value. They're fun to hold. Also heard that Federal still makes paper shell batches limited. I think I missed the boat on that but I don't mind so much now.
    Enjoy.
    20210322_192849.jpg 20210322_192921.jpg 20210322_192914.jpg

Attached Files:

Horkn, Casper, Eric Wanderweg and 3 others like this.
  2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

When I shot trap in high school paper shells were still common and I preferred them.
    And yes, the smell, I can almost smell them now just thinking about it. Fond memories of a simpler time. Thanks

3. ole

ole

I know exactly what you mean. I still have some paper 410 shells. Can’t shoot em I just look at em.

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I REALLY love the .410. That's one of those things where both a beginning hunter or a master clay shooter can have some serious fun with. They say its such a novelty. That charm is not lost on myself or my lady. However because it's such an expensive round, I'm goal-oriented to buy as much as I can find while leaving some for others when I find it at its cheapest $ and reloading them when components are easier to find.

One thing I do hope is to find paper hulls in .410 to be loaded. Doubt they would make them cheap though. Magtech has brass ones I might take a look at. Keeping the round "alive" is the goal. I really jumped on some local online auctions that were selling mixed shells and specific gauges that had paper shells in the mix. Can't win them all but happy to currently still see something that my grandfather probably shot. Today they are about 50 cents a round if I find some loose. More if intact with a boxed full set.

Horkn, ole and metalcuttr like this.
  5. chris

chris

grew up with paper shells and reloading them. By today's standards I should not even be here.

JackHammer, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. tree killer

tree killer

I have a few in 16 and 20 gauge. Don’t own either shotguns but I gots some shells. Someone gave them to me years ago and they are old ones. Winchester and Remington/Peters if I recall.

Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Remington Peters are the ones to collect if I know. I managed to get a few but not all paper ones except that .410 box you see. Can't bring myself to shoot them. Too nice to look at.

Horkn likes this.
  8. tree killer

tree killer

Yup. I just have them sitting on a shelf kinda decorations. I’ve never owned a 16 or a 20 but my daughter has a 20 now. I saw them at someone’s house, an old feller, and commented on the fact they are rare nowadays and he gave them to me.

FatBoy85 and Horkn like this.
  9. Warner

Warner

image.jpg

10. Warner

Warner

image.jpg Inherited a bunch of random stuff in the cabinet my great grandfather built. I have to make some time to go through it and get stuff stored properly.

11. Horkn

Horkn

I shot a good number of paper she'll 12 gauges growing up. They were old then, and 20-30 years older now. What do these go for?

I'm sure I have a few left.

I also have a plastic see through no brass 12 gauge shell or 3 in my stash.

Just like this wanda12.jpg

FatBoy85 likes this.
  12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Sometimes those Wanda shells can fetch a pretty good price, I think in the smaller gauges even more so! Especially a full box

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I saw someone post one of those a bit ago. Pretty cool. One time use though.

Horkn likes this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Horkn, sorry I overlooked your question how much these go for, the paper ones in 12s and 20s go for about 50 cents today. I got a mixed batch of those plus some 16s at a pawn shop. Then I found a bunch of shells at an auction online. Mostly plastic but found some rarities and of course more paper shells too. Hard to price those out as the whole lot was 85% steel shot shells and those are practically none existant at stores.
    I aimed to get a lot more, but the auction had closed up and lost out on a crapton of 20 ga lots full of paper shells. Had I got them all, probably would have been well over 1000 12 and 20 ga shells at give or take $200. Most of these were a total mix but lots ended up being steel shot ranging from 4 to BB, good quality stuff. Definitely belongd to a duck hunter, a good handful of shells had some rusted bases.

Horkn likes this.