From the “I should have done this sooner” file…. Started cutting up old pallets vs just letting them rot up back in VT. I’ve got a nice supply of hardwood boards that make excellent kindling. Today, I had some plans to run the saw, but I’m not feeling 100%, so figured I’d hold off. I split a bunch of the boards I had using the Kindling Cracker. Super easy and had a nice supply in no time. Those coupled with some softwood shorties get the stove going really well. I put my bigger splits east west, pine shorties north south, east east pallet board, more pine shorties, then another layer of pallet boards. A piece or two of fat wood lit with the propane torch and we’re off to the races. Surprising how that hardwood coals up and allows the temp of the stove to rise faster . A difference from my old method of straight softwood kindling. Given we come up to a cold house on the weekends, quicker heating is always appreciated. Also, I’ve never seen the grass this green this time of year in VT. It’s pretty wild.
Nice, that makes great kindling. I did this exact same thing before the end of summer and filled up two Rubbermaid garbage cans’ worth. I’m sure before winter is out I’ll have to process some more.
Santa Claus brought me a Kindling Cracker last year. It comes in very handy for working up some small splits.
I have used one of those and they are nice units. Look them up and read the backstory. Very cool! I ended up making my own in a 2 blade configuration and it works great. I have also moved to a cheap Harbor Freight plastic dead blow hammer instead of a small iron sledge. Easier to swing and does away with metal to metal "clangs" from a miss-swing. Looks like yours is serving you well for pallet wood. Also safer than splitting with a hatchet or Boy's axe!