In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pallet buildings

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Nov 10, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Saturdays storm made for a mess. Glad I got the roof done when I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did shovel out near the shed roof so I can install the ice and water shield and Tyvek once it melts

[​IMG]

I didn't work on the building on Sunday. I had more important things to do

[​IMG]

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yes you did. Looks like y'all had fun.

sirbuildalot and SilentHatch like this.
  3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Buildings don't grow up so damm fast

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I know. Wait until they come back and bring more with them. We have 6 grands...

5. Haftacut

Haftacut

Check out some of Jeff Veals stuff in Georgia. Appear well built and mostly from pallets! Price of lumber is absolutely crazy. Can’t blame you for entertaining the idea!

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Thanks, brother. They are just simple sheda

SilentHatch and Haftacut like this.
  7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Got a lot done on the pallet garage this weekend.

My first focus was to get the ice and water shield over the step flashing and get the house wrap on. Had some left over Grace ice and water from a previous side job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to make the 8'x8' side entry door 7' high instead. The implement shelf would be at about 7' so it would have been pointless having the door be 8' high and a shelf a foot down from the top. So I framed it lower. The original header stayed where it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then cut in a 3' wide x 6'8" high door to go to the future 5'x11' tool/storage room. I'm going to build a wall to cut the current 16' deep x 11' wide dog kennel to 11' x 11'.

[​IMG]

Lots of wall to go through. 10.5" to be exact. I ended up using the MS250. The Makita Sawzall even with the 12" demo blade was just too slow going.

[​IMG]

The bottom of the door had some gaps

[​IMG]

So I made some little steps, and cased the frame with OSB to hide all the raw edges of the two walls and spaces.

[​IMG]

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I then framed the implement shelf

[​IMG]

I used 5/8" zip board for the floor. The shelf is 7'2" off the concrete floor. The back rear most point of the shelf is 6'2" from the bottom of the rafters. Should be just enough room to pick up the pallet with implement, back up beyond the shelf and lower the implement down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to support the shelf from the roof. This will enable easier/free movement in the main shop. I may add a couple angle braces that go back to the rear wall underneath to take a little load off of the two rafters supporting the shelf.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the re-framing I had to do for the side entry door

[​IMG]

I also added most of the braces where the fork slots were in the pallets. I used 1" rough sawn Pine I had. I have a couple still to do. Mainly above the shelf. I added a few small angle braces on the top corners of the two main doors. Hopefully it adds a little racking resistance. That wall is not sheathed yet. I need to bring those two doors in a few inches each to get to 10' in width. I ran out of 2x lumber. A good project for the spring. Bring them in, OSB, and apply house wrap. With the large overhang I'm not too concerned about it over the winter.

I got all the tools put away, and swept up the garage

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Last order of business for the weekend was to move the tractors in their new home. I started with the big Powermax. I don't know how many more sleepless nights I could have taken worrying about him being under the tarp with snow forecasted this week. I also put the Sears SS14, the Massey 214, and the high wheel brothers in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the dog kennel only has two machines in it, I can move them forward and build the dividing wall to create the new 5'x11' tool/storage room. I have the materials I need, just ran out of time. I would have liked to have painted the floor and put up the electrical prior to moving machines in, but mother nature was working against me and I was worried I'd run out of nice weekend days. The electrical I can work around the tractors, and the paint would be better done come spring. I need 2-3 warm days in a row. I plan to concrete grind a rough spot where the two floors meet, power wash that area well, let dry, apply some floor leveler, in that area, let dry, power wash whole floor, let dry, fill a crack with crack sealer, and apply two good coats of epoxy or floor paint and let dry. I also plan to put up my workbench, some wall mounted cabinets and move some tools in, and place some small stone around the slab outside. I may plastic off the two main doors for the winter.

Til next time.....

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

What are you siding it with SBA? Bet it was nice to work with the Grace when it was cold out. Stuff is miserable when its hot out...especially alone!

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’m going to use the same red vinyl I used on the barn. I still have a small amount left. I’ll do the trim in dark brown to match as well. I’ll side the garage and shed all at once. Probably will rework the shed rakes and soffits as I don’t like how they currently look. Yes sir to the Grace. Once it touches itself it’s game over.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats gonna look REAL nice! Grace is the best I&WB by far but i hate installing it. That addition i was helping on in North Grafton. The dormer ended up being a 3/12+ pitch and i had to Grace the whole thing. 90% went down okay but the rest :hair: :headbang:some choice four letter works came out of my mouth!

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Mighty fine pallet shed...its like you've done this before or something! ;) :thumbs:

14. Bill2

Bill2

Wicked nice job. Looks great.

T.Jeff Veal and sirbuildalot like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Job WELL DONE, sir. Looks very nice

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Just wondering what this guy can do with regular lumber:dex::handshake:

SilentHatch, jrider, Bill2 and 5 others like this.
  17. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s awesome that your daughter wanted to help you!

sirbuildalot and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  18. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

You wood!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::thumbs:

19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

For those curious on pricing....Let me start out by saying that after being involved in construction most of my life, I have access to a lot of leftover materials from jobs and connections to get items at wholesale prices. I've been known to barter items for other items or labor as well, so my pricing may be different than others could do a similar building for. Often times lumber yards do not want to pick up 1 or 2 sheets of sheathing, or a couple sticks of lumber. The customer doesn't want it, and my labor cost to return it is as much as the item costs, so I end up taking them home. After awhile one or two sheets turns into enough to build something decent sized.

Anyways...

*The concrete pad was the most expensive item. Including the old section, the 450ish square foot 6" thick pad was about 8.5 cubic yards and was around $900-$950. The forming and concrete leveling/finishing I did myself.

*The stone under the pad was also around the same amount of yards, but they sell it by the ton. A cubic yard of small stone is about 1.5 tons, so 12-13 tons. I forget the amount in dollars but stone is cheap compared to concrete. I believe it was around $200-$250 for the stone.

*The 1/2" threaded rod I had, and the epoxy I bought. That was about $15-$20 for the tube.

*Sill seal and PT plates I had.

*The walls are pallets which were free. The OSB sheathing I bartered. The house wrap I had.

*Most all of the 2x stock including the true 2" old growth lumber I salvaged form previous jobs. Some of it also came from the old 2x8 roof rafters.

*I had a ton of 1" rough sawn Pine boards.

*The 2x10x24 roof rafters I bartered, the metal I paid $240 for.

*5/8" Zip board was leftover from a side job. It is commonly used on new construction roofs.

*Ice and water shield I had.

*Nails and screws I have a ton of.

*Step flashing I had.

*Roofing screws I bought. They were about $50.

I think that's it thus far. I'm in the building for about $1,500. The main portion being the concrete slab. The siding will be about 5-6 squares (10'x10' is a square). I have some of it and most of the J channels, starter strip and nails. So the siding and the brown trim coil together will be around $500-$600. The doors I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Overhead doors would be nice, but I'll probably end up building sliding doors out of stock I have.

20. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

SilentHatch and mikeward like this.