In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pallet buildings

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Nov 10, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I was really hoping to get all the metal up by the end of the weekend. That's not going to happen unfortunately. I ran out of 2x stock for purlins, and truthfully I ran out of steam. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, so I’m kind of bummed. Originally I planned on using the 5/4 x 6 PT deck boards from my neighbor. I decided it'd be better to use 2x stock for the 30" O.C spans, plus Id rather use the PT for other projects.

I was able to get quite a bit of it done. I have about 6' left to go, or 1 and a half rows of panels.

Started out by cutting a bunch of purlins. Spaced those out about 2' O.C.

[​IMG]

My son helped me yesterday afternoon, but we were only able to work on it for about 2 hours.

[​IMG]

Today my daughter helped me for a few hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to look more like a a garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

If you notice, I added another board on the facia. Mainly so it breaks up the face of the 2x10 to not look so big, giving it an extra "line"

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the inside some, and threw all the scrap wood in the kindling pile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That kindling pile is getting good sized.

[​IMG]

3. billb3

billb3

I always called those shadow (trim) boards whether they actually served a function or not .

T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Sorry friends I lied....well sort of.

As I sat on the couch I couldn't stand the thought of the rain tomorrow getting the best of me after working so hard all weekend, so I thought to myself, get that top sectioned covered somehow so the rain doesn't get inside.

So I did.....

With some sheet plastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can sleep tonight. Time for a couple beers!!!

:coldone:

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

You have earned them:handshake:

sirbuildalot and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Thought it might be fun to go back to the beginning and explain the build.

When I moved in in 2011, there was only 1 small 12x12 shed with a piece of plywood dangling on a single nail over a 4' wide or so door into the shed. Fairly quickly after moving in, I reframed that opening including a new header to accommodate for a 7'h x 9'w overhead door and had one installed. I then built a PT ramp going into that new door, and added a layer of 3/4" plywood over the existing 1/2" plywood floor to stiffen it up. I also added a 12'x12' or so lean-to onto the right side of the original shed. The rough sawn pine was added later on.

[​IMG]

Of course that small lean to filled up quickly, so then a built another lean-to to the right of the back of the original shed and the right of the new lean-to. This lean-to was 12' x 20'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once that was filled up, I built a 16' x 24' barn on another area of the property. This was the end of 2013.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The barn also features a nice 11' x 24' storage loft with a 7'2" ceiling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Once I got the Kioti in June of 2017, the 12' x 20' lean-to became the main GT building. I poured a concrete ramp for the barn and at the same time a concrete floor for the two lean-tos. One got extended and a dog kennel took place of the original 12' x 12' lean-to. With now even lower ceilings, and only one door on the far end it wasn't ideal to work in or on machines.

Fast forward to 2020. I decided to blow out the 12' x 20' lean-to, and go up and out. So I took the walls, and built a stone wall on the new perimeter to build up the grade, as there was about 2' of elevation difference. The new pad would utilize the old pad and extend it on two sides. Out to a total size of 20' x 22.5'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I leveled and compacted the stone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I backfilled against the forms and then I poured the concrete. The pad is 5-6" thick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Once COVID prices ruined my hopes and dreams of building it in the fall of 2020, I made a temporary tarp structure to protect the slab and keep the tractors somewhat safe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast forward to today, and we almost have a 20 x 22.5' garage with plenty high ceilings and plenty of doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess the moral of my story is if I could go back I would have built one big azz pole barn that is about 40' x 60' and been done. Of course I never did stumble across a money tree at the times of the builds so that wasn't really an option for me.

10. Yawner

Yawner

Sirbuildalot, now I see how you got your name. Amazing! Perfect name. Building is your hobby! Thanks for the journal with the pics, cool!

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I picked the name because I've always been involved in building related fields from age 10 to present day.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like the same way things progress around here too...if you could go back you'd do it right and be done with it...but, not having the money in your pocket at the time, and not knowing what the future holds...you just do the best you can with what you have and know at the time...

13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Bingo!!!

The barn was about 7k including the concrete, framing lumber, siding, roofing, sub panel, etc. That's was doing it by myself and pre-covid prices. I hate to admit it, but it sat like this for at least a full year before I could finish the build.

[​IMG]

In comparison the slightly larger (450 square feet vs 384 square feet) newest building will cost much, much less. Concrete including the 12 x 20 original pad was about $950 for about 8.5 yards. The metal roofing was $240 for 94 panels, but not all of them are on this building. Pallets were free. 2x lumber was bartered. I did have to buy a couple small items like epoxy caulking, and roofing screws, so say $70. I think by the time I'm done I'll have between $1500-$2000 in this building. So about a quarter of what the barn build cost.

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Thanks for the journey. A little at a time.

15. Bill2

Bill2

Awesome job. Enjoy following it.

16. MikeyB

MikeyB

This is an awesome build man. Real nice work.

17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

They're calling for several inches of snow tomorrow so the push was on today to get the roof done.

I finished the last 6'. I didn't get the shadow board up, but I did extend the metal enough to account for that. Ill get that up soon.

[​IMG]

I also scored some OSB and decided to close in the walls. I wanted to get the shed connecting wall done so I could step flash it. I had plenty of the 6"x8" oversized flashing for metric shingles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll put some ice and water shield over the top of the flashing then some Tyvek over all the OSB once I finish installing it.

Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow!!!

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wow. You have got'ter done. Proud for ya. Looking gooder. Well done.

19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Glad I got the roof done when I did. We got a nasty 9” storm of sticky icy snow. Power out since yesterday at 1:30, branches down all over the place.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  20. MikeyB

MikeyB

I love the Barn Gambrel style roof. Had the opportunity of doing one with my Dad on my cousins garage many years ago. It was a great experience and a lot of fun.
    You do real nice work man, love it.