In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

P61-2 Issues

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by tazz, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tazz

tazz

Well I know the black esp in my stove now was made in 2003 so I figured it was time for a new one. I bought the red so I'll have one of each, if the stove doesn't like the red I'll set the dip for black and try that. Got nothing to loose.

ivanhoe, imacman, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  2. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Sill running the black ones in all of mine.

ttdberg, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  3. tazz

tazz

I put the new board in a couple of days ago and I'm very impressed with it, better management of the burn for sure, definitely more heat at a lower setting than before. I was able to dial the draft also, got it set at. 055, I didn't see any difference between high and low on the fan though. New ignitor and cradle installed, I did have the old style in there. The pot fills to the correct level and within a few minutes the stove touches off without a hiccup. I installed the red esp but the stove didn't run properly so back to the black probe.

imacman, ivanhoe, slvrblkk and 4 others like this.
  4. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

That's awesome news, thanks for posting the results! I also switched out my board for a rev "F" model recently and I am very pleased with it as well, it had a noticeable positive impact on the stove's burn qualities - which I will write a little bit about in a separate thread. I assume you got the ref chart linked below with the board, or have otherwise seen it. There are two separate sections for the various P61 models where the red and black ESP probe dip switch settings are listed. I suspect the one that would apply to your setup would be the 3rd line down (P61A-2, 3-20-05886, D & UP)?

http://rs.woodmanspartsplus.com/company_41/Harman Dipswitch Reference Chart.pdf

Edit: Actually to make this easier, the only dip switch that really matters for the ESP cable color is switch #5 - Black is 0, Red is 1

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    imacman, tazz, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  5. tazz

tazz

Yes I set the dip switch accordingly to the enclosed instructions from harman. I also noticed that in the four days I've been running this new board, which is a F revision, that the build up of carbon in the pot has been noticeably less as in no more ski jump, almost nothing actually. I am shutting it down this afternoon for a while and will give the burn pot a good looking over/cleaning and let you know how it looks.

imacman, ChandlerR, ivanhoe and 4 others like this.
  6. tazz

tazz

I cleaned the burn pot last night and I noticed that the carbon build up was about half of what it was with the old board, everything in there including the firebrick was much cleaner than before. I've been running in stove mode and with the old board I had it set from 2 in the daytime to 3 at night now with the new board I'm running it on 1 and it's blasting the heat out, I know the past few days have been warmer also, can't really judge it till the temperatures drop again. I noticed since I got this stove being as it's older, late 90's I'm guessing, that there's a lot of flickering of the flame. I don't know if the P61 burn pot was part of that problem and if they have a upgrade for it, either way that can wait until spring.

7. tazz

tazz

Also now that my ignitor is working I'll put it in room mode, no need for stove mode right now

ivanhoe, imacman and ttdberg like this.
  8. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

Is there any advantage to upgrading the CB in my 2010 P61A? This thread has been great. My stove pretty much runs flawlessly except for the fact that I’m on my third OEM igniter in the past 4 years....

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  9. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

My '07 Accentra II FS flickers as well. It did it before I installed a new combustion blower and does it now.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  10. tazz

tazz

I don't see why you would want to replace it if there's nothing wrong with it and it's running fine. Mine was messed up so I didn't have much of a choice

Harman Lover 007, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

For a CB that increases efficiency is something to consider if fuel savings for many years offset the cost of the board :cool: The more you burn, the more you save :thumbs:
    When the time comes I'll be after one myself 'cause I burn a lot :yes:

imacman, Harman Lover 007 and ttdberg like this.
  12. tazz

tazz

This is my first season with the Harman, not my first season with a pellet stove though, I have a lopi Pioneer Bay in my three season breezeway, well I guess it's four seasons with the stove in there, for six years now. We have a mid size cape that's 1900sq/ft with a dormered upstairs and a half finished basement. The first year with the lopi I tried to heat the whole house with it, didn't work so well but that's ok. I put the Harman in the basement last spring cause what use is a finished basement if freezing down there. We have forced hot water gas heat with a newer boiler but to run a new circuit down there would have been what a good used p61 would cost me and that was only for half the basement. So the P61 went in, so far this year I'm only through about a ton and a half between both stoves and haven't turned the gas on once. I think the P61 may be overkill for me seeing as it's keeping the house at 71 and I'm running on stove mode on 1 with the blower set to medium to medium/high. I might go though another ton and a half depending on this crazy new England weather. As for fuel savings for me with the new board, I guess so, I have no previous data to compare it to other than my original board was ancient and was running the stove as I call it dirty and obviously not very efficient. I'll have to leave this to the experts and people who have been running these harmans for some time now, that is how this F change CB compares to previous ones.

All in all for me and what I can attest to is my stove lights with the ignitor now, I have control of my draft (which in its self means the stove is more efficient) the carbon build up is way less, the stove is cleaner and I'm running the stove at a lower setting for the same heat output as before.