In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Outdoor boiler

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by sam s, Apr 9, 2018.

1. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

That sounds logical, but could you explain how I recirculate the water through the tank? Is it a recirculating pump or are you talking about a way of rerouting the water through the water heater? I’m just trying to picture it...

brenndatomu likes this.
  2. nsmaple

nsmaple

I have a flat plate. The DHW side is T'd into the DHW tank at the bottom feed inlet, and the top pressure relief port. I have a little circ pump that circulates that side, with a Johnson A419 temp control controlling that.

But, if you are only wanting to heat DHW when you have your wood boiler running & flowing, using a sidearm HX plumbed in the same way would heat your tank up by simple convection on the DHW side - without a pump or controls. I started out that way, but it wouldn't work very well when I wasn't burning for heat and just burning for DHW by heating DHW from my storage tanks. I could only go 3-4 days between fires. So I added a flat plate to the circuit and got to 7 days between fires. After all that, I don't heat my DHW with wood in the non-heating months anymore, unless I have some stuff to get rid of & it's a chilly day & I decide to make a fire on. So the first sidearm setup I had would do the job for me now. When doing any of this, you should also plumb in a mixing valve after the hot water tank outlet so the hot coming out of the taps won't burn anybody - the tank can heat up pretty hot if you are burning away and not using any DHW for quite a while. Unless you control the flow to the boiler side of the HX with a zone valve - but that won't work if your boiler loop is all one long series loop. Such as a lot of OWB setups are. The tank could heat up enough to trip the overheat stat on your heater - something else to keep in mind. I think mine trips when the tank gets to the 160 area. Which doesn't happen any more since I went to the controlled circ & flat plate.