In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Our semi- feral 2- week old kittens

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by BDF, May 26, 2018.

1. Chaz

Chaz

bogieb you know that Brian is gonna want update pics of the kids. :binoculars:
    :yes:

2. bogieb

bogieb

Well, he did give me a special price on the second one (one day deal only) ;)

3. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah - his wife definitely wants updates! Not a problem except getting them to stay still long enough so the pictures aren't just a blur :)

4. BDF

BDF

Thank YOU for taking two kittens and providing what we know will be a wonderful life for them! Looks like they are already doing very well in a new environment.

The 'cage' is a great idea; I have our two our loose in the house right now and have to continuously watch Phoebe so she does not get aggressive with them.

Not too many sniffles on this end, to both our surprises. I think the key here is again, they are in a great place with a great, new 'Mom' and we really think it best for the kittens that we did not keep all four, so while it is a loss for us, it is greatly offset when looking at the bigger picture.

By all means, do name the kittens whatever you want- as I said before, we really did not name them but just kind of assigned words so we could tell them apart and communicate with each other ('Hey, Glasses is making 'wet' on your shoe!')

As to Glasses not being quite warm with you, she is a little aloof with me too actually. I am going to end up with no cat lovin' from any direction. :( Glasses was singing and laying in Andrea's arms earlier.... but then of course Andrea gave here some bottle, which makes them quite affectionate (to whomever is giving the bottle of course).

FWIW, I think Runt will be, and is now, the best looking cat from the litter. A beautiful color, with that silver mask, I believe she will look like Phoebe when she gets older.

I have the two kittens out loose in the house right now with the usual mixed results. Still, I have am pleased none of these kittens is a shrinking violet, unusually timid and most definitely, not terrified of anything.

Again, great to have met you, we are thrilled you have two of the kittens, and we are looking forward to what will now be the 'other half' of the feral kitten story!

Brian

milleo, RCBS, Stephiedoll and 8 others like this.
  5. BDF

BDF

I did not want to push too hard and lose the sale entirely but truth be told, you could have had 100% off if you took three kittens.

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

But the kittens in pairs will go a long way to keeping them happy as they grow instead of being 'alone' in each of their new, and old, homes.

Brian

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  6. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Good for you bogieb It is nice to have pets from homes you know where the animals were well raised at the start. The person we got two of our dogs from became a personal friend as well as a supplier of pets.

BDF I really enjoyed the saga of the kittens and Phoebe. I have been anticipated the awaited "pound trip" with baited breath for the inevitable outcome. lol Your writing has me laughing and grinning and I have been looking forward to each episode eagerly.

milleo, RCBS, campinspecter and 6 others like this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz

Here here. I fully agree

8. rottiman

rottiman

Those 2 kittens haven't realized yet that they won the lottery today. Good luck and enjoy them........................:thumbs:

9. savemoney

savemoney

Love how this story has grown. To think that Brian will be able to know his rescues are good responsible homes now. You both now have three cats. Loving homes where they can grow safely.

10. BDF

BDF

Yep, we are thrilled where two of the kittens ended up- could not be happier with the whole situation.

We have had both kittens out in the main house for a few hours and both the kittens and Phoebe finally settled down; I guess the best description would be that they all got tired of paying too much attention to the other and just went about their seperate ways. Of course the kittens had to explore everywhere but eventually settled down. I also introduced them to catnip and while Glasses did not seem bowled over, Slash went a little nutz. :)

Finally, Glasses climbed up on the couch with Andrea, laid down on the top / back of the couch and fell asleep. We lost Slash for a bit and found her asleep on the bed. Brought her out and sat her next to Glasses:

14 July 2018 Slash and Glasses on couch.JPG

Then they promptly fell asleep. They do not seem too terrified:

14 July 2018 Slash and Glasses on couch 2.JPG

Phoebe got into the cat nip and that apparentely makes her sleep with her feet on the door. ?? :

14 July 2018 Phoebe on catnip.JPG

And finally, Phoebe slept while the kittens did, about 7 feet from where they were sleeping. They might not be the best of pals yet but they do seem to be coexisting.

14 July 2018 Phoebe resting while kittens sleep.JPG

We are going to have to set a new date for the trip to the pound now I guess......

Brian

savemoney, milleo, RCBS and 7 others like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

:popcorn:

brenndatomu and bogieb like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

Funny story - BDF and Andrea were telling me about a conversation they had with a friend (or maybe it was her with a co-worker - I was too busy kitten watching/handling) and Andrea said if they ended up with all the kittens then she would be known as the Crazy Cat Lady. The friend said that they were safe since you had to be single to be a CCL.

Hello - that is me. And I'm good with that title :thumbs:

savemoney, milleo, RCBS and 6 others like this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Pictures from last night. Rita went outside, so I let the kittens roam the living room, kitchen and hallway. Most of the time they were playing hide and seek with each other or racing around so it was tough getting pictures. But they were having a good time exploring.

Too funny, I couldn't even get the pictures loaded after I typed the first paragraph because Runt was squeaking as if she had lost something. She had, she didn't realize I was in the den (with doors open this morning). I went out meowing to her (yes, I am the crazy cat lady) and she came running to me.

Runt
    rUNT ON CHAIR.jpg Runt on chair 2.jpg

Spot
    Spot by foot.jpg Spot on couch.jpg

Both
    both on chair.jpg

savemoney, milleo, RCBS and 5 others like this.
  14. bogieb

bogieb

When Rita was ready to come in, the kittens went back in the pen

Runt on the 3rd level
    Runt on 3rd level of pen.jpg

Rita checking out the pen. Note that I moved the food (and later the water dish that is below) to the second level because they were rough-housing on the floor and moving the dishes all over the place.
    Rita sniffing pen.jpg

Rita checking out Runt. Spot is on the 3rd level to the right. Rita is already more curious than offended.
    Rita checking out runt in pen.jpg

Surprisingly the kittens were quiet thru the night although when I started moving around this morning they started getting restless.

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

This is great! Now that the kittens are in different homes, we get frequent kitten news updates to keep NH and RI branches informed. Thanks for all your great pictures and anecdotes, from all us kitten junkies!

16. MikeSs

MikeSs

Are we going to have new threads? Or will the two of you continue in this thread?
    It's great that kittens are "stayin in the family" (so far).

savemoney, milleo, RCBS and 4 others like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

bogieb if your crazy you are our kind of crazy:yes:

savemoney, milleo, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  18. BDF

BDF

Well, it is certainly up to bogieb if she wants to start another thread but it is fine with me if all the posts just stay here. After all, it is only one litter of four kittens, and it is not likely anyone of them is going to do anything truly amazing (learn to fly, mow the lawn, read, etc.) so it would make sense to just keep all the posts here. Just my opinion but that also makes it easy to check on all / any of them in one thread.

Our kittens are 'out and about' in the house with Phoebe yesterday afternoon and night, and again since this AM and really, all is going well. Phoebe is a little 'put out' but nothing terrible; when I seek her out and pay her some attention, she sings and closes her eyes so she is not in shock or anything. She is going to the laundry room and sleeping in there occasionally, and I assume it is to get away from the kittens.

Everyone slept together in one room last night and that went OK too. Again, not the best of buds yet (Phoebe and the kittens) but doing very well for only one day together. Andrea and I are being careful to give Phoebe extra attention so she does not feel excluded, replaced or placed to the side.

Brian

savemoney, wildwest, RCBS and 5 others like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

I don't see any reason to start a new thread. This is the one that started it all, we might as well keep it going.

BTW - "Runt" is now Rainey.

savemoney, wildwest, milleo and 5 others like this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

Rita is doing well with the kittens. No, they aren't buds yet, but last night when I got home from work I supervised several hours of free-for-all time (usually I would let Rita out before letting the kittens out of the pen). If a kitten got too close (being about 2 feet), Rita would growl. But, if the kitten persisted, then Rita chose to retreat every time instead of escalate. She took several opportunities to cuddle with me on the couch while I gave her belly rubs and told her what a good kitty she was whenever a kitten zoomed by and her only reaction was to look at it/them.

After a while, she became more intrigued watching them play and tumble about. And toward the end I had her and Spot both swatting at a ribbon that I was dragging on the ground. Just before my bedtime I put the kittens back in the pen so they wouldn't bother Rita during the night.

I think Rita is well on her way to being a great aunt.

savemoney, wildwest, milleo and 6 others like this.