In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oregon VersaCut 0.063 x 0.325 x 16” bar

Discussion in 'Ratings & Reviews' started by Eric Wanderweg, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

This bar has proven itself to be very problematic. On the second cutting session the sprocket got jammed up with chips. I cleared it without thinking much of it. Ever since, anytime I’m doing any serious cutting it continues to happen. It seems to work fine on smaller diameter limbs, but if I have the bar buried into a round larger than 16” the sprocket quickly binds up.
    D5233983-B13F-46A4-9E0E-717D18A02E9A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I used it again today, being careful to cut only smaller logs. After half a dozen cuts the sprocket seized once again. The bar will get tossed in the scrap metal pile once a replacement arrives.

John D, RCBS and eatonpcat like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

Lack of a grease hole in the nose tells me that's a ccp made bar? Noticed lack of them on a 20" Makita branded bar I have that's still new...marked made in china. It's a laminated version. The 28" bar has ports and says Made in Oregon.

Side note...I'm not sure I've encountered a .325 using 063 guage rail. Unknown if this would be a partial reason for the clogging or not.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I run one on my 2150. Admittedly I’ve never buried the bar that I can remember and I’ve never experienced the chip jam that you have, but I can assure you my chips are usually large size from square grinding. Not real long ago, someone on here posted about their tip seizing after a slight pinch. Any chance you could mic that gap to be sure? They are cheap chinesium anyway so it's not a great loss to toss.

RCBS likes this.
  5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I just spent a considerable amount of time freeing the sprocket and cleaning the bar out. The chips I was making are nice and large. I’m pretty diligent about running sharp chains. I did just use a small pry bar to open the groove up just around the sprocket. It seems a lot better. What I did find caked in there was a bunch of thick bar oil mixed with some fine dust. My next move will be to run the TSC brand oil and put the Husqvarna molasses oil back on the shelf. I think it’s too sticky for this application.

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Alright I think the root cause was 2 things: first and foremost, the sprocket was indeed being pinched by the bar. Something in their manufacturing process is out of whack. Secondly, Husky bar oil was not helping the situation. Too tacky. I’ll save that oil for summertime use only, and maybe only use it in my other saws. After fixing the bar and swapping to TSC bar oil, I had a small noodle fest in some Aspen rounds with zero issues.
    522C3156-499A-4E26-8DBF-BBF0E831D999.jpeg

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Good deal and I can see how the molasses would help contribute. No surprise w/ quality control, or lack there of, considering where they're made. I've read favorable feedback on em before I pulled the trigger. One guy said the weakest link is the tip. He blew one out doing a lot of plunge cutting, which I don't do, and never do with the saw I put mine on. Here's the thread I remembered: Bar sprocket froze

eatonpcat and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I owe Chinesium Oregon bars an apology. I just froze the sprocket twice on the Stihl Rollomatic bar on my 029 super, running Husqvarna bar oil. So the oil is the culprit. Temperature seems to not matter, since it’s in the mid 50s here at the moment. I guess this should be a review on expensive bar oil that acts more like an adhesive than a lubricant.
    27BECC14-2013-4A39-B8D6-B70495D80D38.jpeg

eatonpcat likes this.
  9. Czed

Czed

Must've been a bad run of bar's or something
    I have 5 of the 24" versacuts
    i've been running for the last 5 year's
    Never had problems but i don't run the shorter bars.
    Tsumura is still my favorite I'm still running my 80s vintage total d009 bar's

eatonpcat and Eric Wanderweg like this.