In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Order WS Ideal Steel Stove!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by snaple4, Apr 2, 2021.

1. snaple4

snaple4

Went yesterday to pick this thing up and WOW is it big. My wife may kill me so if disappear you know what happened. My trailer wasn’t holding up well so the supply house offered to deliver it with a Tommy gate! If I take it apart, how light can I get this thing? Looks like it will be a few guys and a dolly to move it.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Leave soapstone liner in!
    You can pull lid, cat, radiator, door and leg trim and soap stone on legs about 5 minutes drops about 150#

Chaz, RGrant, NVhunter and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

You have the floor protection in place or so it appears, bring it forward! Show it off! Bring the heat out! (Not to mention where the old stove sits may not work with a wider stove as you alluded to.)

brenndatomu likes this.
  4. snaple4

snaple4

Thank you for the suggestion. Why leave the soap stone liner in? I thought it was supposed to be relatively easy to put in?

That is the plan. Because it is so big I may not go minimum distance to the edge (16”) but I will get close to it. Good this thing will burn low!

brenndatomu likes this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

The soapstone liner only goes in 1 way and it’s a complicated jig saw puzzle and it doesn’t add that much weight

NVhunter, brenndatomu and snaple4 like this.
  6. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner

Do you remove them when you're giving the stove an end-of-season cleaning? I always remove my firebricks and sweep/vacuum up all the stuff that falls between and behind them when I clean the stove out in the spring. Mainly to placate my OCD, but I do like to start each season with a clean stove, haha.

7. NVhunter

NVhunter

I remove the floor of firebrick but don't move the soapstone liner on the sides and back. A shop vac can get 98% of the ash out from around the liner and as said above it will be a pain getting it back in once removed. I just sent my Ideal Steel back for repair last month and Lorin said not to remove the liner because it's hard to put back in...

8. jo191145

jo191145

Are you ok? Noticed the disappearance. Should we send out the hounds?

RGrant and Canadian border VT like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

10. snaple4

snaple4

Thank you for the concern. Just been busy. Looking to build a 40x80+ building over the top of my house to hopefully stop my roof leaks. The supply house still has the stove. We haven’t had enough days of dry weather to deliver it. I do have the local stove guy scheduled for Tuesday morning to give me an estimate on running close clearance pipe from stove to class A and extending the class A through new roof line.

jo191145 likes this.
  11. snaple4

snaple4

Received a quote from a local stove company to extend class A ICC excel pipe by 12’ to go through a metal roof and one adjustable black CC pipe. Wow, that pipe caries a premium. Anyone know of a way to order that brand at less of a markup? I can only order metal-fab through my supplier.

12. snaple4

snaple4

I’m setting up my stove and have a question if you guys can help. I put the Leg height at max and can’t put the side panels on. I can go one notch up and it fits but then they are up off the floor. Looks like the metal that holds soapstone is causing the problem?

Hope to get chimney cleaned and pipe put in today. Might even do a break in fire if my wife isn’t home.

Attached Files:

13. snaple4

snaple4

Found my mistake on setting the side panels. The bottom bracket that holds the soapstone on is also a support that holds the panel to the stove. You have to set the bottom brackets on the stove first then you can put in the top brackets. Not sure how I missed that. Woodstock customer service really is great.

14. snaple4

snaple4

Finishing product. Took forever finding time. I should have my outside air hooked up tomorrow. I’m about 19” leg to front of hearth. 18-19” from corner to wall. Back to corner is about 40”. Looks like we will have an odd morning with a low of 58 in a few days. Might do my first fire then. Any suggestions on how much wood to put in there?

WS is sending me a probe thermometer.

Attached Files:

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. dennish

dennish

Shouldn't you have some sort of heat protection on the floor under the stove?

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I assumed that was tile on the floor...looks like it's not though...

17. snaple4

snaple4

It is tile on a concrete floor. Need to get trim/transition for it but that has been low on my list.

brenndatomu and PA Mountain Man like this.
  18. Highbeam

Highbeam

And then hvac grille, is it a suck or blow? If it’s a suck, aren’t you worried it will suck smoke down the chimney and blow it all over the house?

19. snaple4

snaple4

It was a return but is just a crossover to another room now. Negative pressure hasn’t been an issue but I do have detectors just in case. The original design of the house had a horrendous HVAC system design. I have removed all the ductwork and installed new. Unfortunately this crossover needs to be there and can’t move it due to concrete load bearing walls.

20. NVhunter

NVhunter

That grate is an old return that isn't in operation anymore? If so good as building code said no returns for HVAC systems within 10 feet in any direction of an open combustion or other appliance within a room... If it's just a crossover now I think your :yes: now.