In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Older Saws

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I cut wood up the mountains and I have cut a lot of limbs off over my head. But I am saying it is not the safest practice. How about people up on ladders cutting limbs off a tree. We have all seen those videos. Yet there are people who still do it and are not careful. Then skill level can make a difference too. Ok enough from me. Everyone be safe out there.

2. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Not that old mid 80’s Poulan pro P65 EFD2FE26-73CF-42E5-A8FD-A008E7B20AF0.jpeg
    My Stihl 041... no brake here... 60’s vintage? 3295DD62-FB23-4558-91E5-C7E6A4B1AF35.jpeg
    Next time I get out to my favorite saw shop I’ll have to snap a picture. They have a bunch of old saws hanging up.

3. Ron T

Ron T

No brake on that 031 either.

4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Nope!
    That’s a future project saw. After the other 6 I’ve got in line

5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Favorite??? As in you have several to choose from?? Must be nice!
    Do you suppose he has any Swede o-matic parts, new or used

6. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Yep four shops within half hour of the house. Stihl, echo, husky, jonsered/red max and Dolmar

I can ask, but I don’t think they e got much for any old parts like that.

7. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

NOS, or something off a carcass in the dead pile. I’m several years late getting into working on saws and the parts availability is getting pretty dried up. I guess that’s part of the the attraction of messing around with the older stuff, trying to find parts. It doesn’t help that I live in a state with no real timber to speak of so there’s not much of a need for saw shops.
    Heck, the combined number of saws owned by the members here would probably be greater than the total number of chainsaws in the state of Nebraska!

tamarack, M2theB, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  8. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

WHAT DID YOU SAY?? I still run a lot of homelites hearing loss does not come from chainsaws it starts when we get married it is called SAD (Selective Auditory Disorder) it begins right after we say I DO :rofl: :lol: I remember taking what little baffles out of those saws to make them louder and when chain brakes came out we just took them off even the little handguards that were on the front came off I wonder sometimes how we ever survived without warning labels and safety stuff?? JB

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Only 6??:rofl: :lol: JB

M2theB, J. Dirt, Screwloose and 2 others like this.
  10. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

The 031 AV was the first Stihl I ever ran . in 1976 iirc.
    I've run lots of 041s and 041s Supers, but never owned one
    That P65 looks Nice !

MagCraft ; didn't mean to be rude, sorry about that !
    Lots of dummys with chainsaws. Not sure there is a safety feature that could protect them .

The chainbrake on a 460 Stihl saved my left hand from being cut off once. It was my fault. But still, I'm very thankful that I had a brake on that saw .

J. Dirt and Screwloose like this.
  11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I guess that is a blow down ?
    Is that a 36" bar ? With full comp chain In hardwood that would really give it some work.
    I had a couple 655 Poulan Pro saws. I liked them . Ring broke on one of them and it went down the road as a parts saw. I was running one when I got hurt pretty bad one time. In my mind I can still see it standing tip down powerhead up, stuck in the ground idleing. I could walk so I just left it and walked to the pickup. My partner shut it off on his way down the hill to take me to the hospital.

Screwloose and J. Dirt like this.
  12. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Yep red oak blowdown above my great grandparent farm house. Only a little bit of fence in the bottom. 36” full Comp chain on her and it pulls pretty good!

Screwloose likes this.