In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Old Tractors and Farm Equipment

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by J. Dirt, Feb 13, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

:dex: Nice work Buttercup ! Was it a simple restore or did you uncover some interesting stuff?

Screwloose likes this.
  2. Buttercup

Buttercup

It was actually pretty simple. The engine smoked a little so it was just a simple rebuild with new main bearings and rod bearings. I can’t remember if we had to get the block machined. I think it was good and we just had to turn the crank. A pretty interesting thing we found out was that the engine has crushable shims for the block. So once you torqued it down the clearances were automatically set. Also the tractor is Persian Orange 1. Most everybody paints them Persian Orange 2. I really enjoyed doing it and wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.

Screwloose and J. Dirt like this.
  3. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I love opening them up to see what’s going on and even to try and get a little history. As far as the Persian oranges go was there a break in serial number or years for the different tints?

Screwloose likes this.
  4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

couple of the toys IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_20130615_160043_097.jpg

5. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Left to right top to bottom
    44 JD A, 48 Farmall H, 52 Farmall Super C, 52, Farmall Super A, 48 Farmall Cub, 62 Ford 6000 Diesel ( sold this past winter ), 45 Farmall M, 52 Super A (same one in the first pic) with a David Bradley/Electric Wheel co. Wagon, 65 International 504 Hi-clear, 39 Oliver 70 (future restore project)

6. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I picked up a few things today. In really sad shape, but maybe fixable; the old stuff typically can be.

A 1930ish water tank and spray pump

And a 1930 McCormick Wheat Binder. This is NOT mine, but the same thing I have, now to restore it...

7. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I’d love one of those and a corn binder! Hope you can make her run and keep us posted on progress. :D

Screwloose likes this.
  8. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

She is in rough shape.

Sorry for no pictures yet. My father was saying a friend of mine/neighbor had all kinds of threshing equipment and so a week later I saw him and he said he had tried to give it away a few times, but no one came and got it. He said I could have it, so I figured I would strike while the iron is hot, and while the ground is not frozen. I still got to go back and get the thresher, but it is in really rough shape.

I figured if nothing else I could at least use it for parts for something else. Gears, chains and gear boxes always have uses, but the only thing that is really broke are all the wood and cloth parts. But then again, back then that constituted a lot of the machine.

9. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

You are getting a thresher too?! :faint:

Screwloose likes this.
  10. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yeah he has a thresher too.

It started when I sold (10) lambs and only made $75 per head on them. It just seemed all the land that is tied up in allowing them to graze in the summer and have winter feed, I might be better off to grow a better crop. Around here you cannot swing a cat without hitting a micro-brewery, so I thought small grains might work well for us. We grew 10 acres of oats last year without trying and had a bumper cop. So we thought what about more acres in small grains?

I told my dad and he said (2) miles up the road our friend/neighbor had some small grain equipment, and that it might be my Grandfather's as he took his small grains there for threshing. That led to me asking him how much he wanted for the stuff and he said he has been trying to give it away for years. Horse drawn people and the Amish come over and mull it over, want it, but never lugged it off. Well I got a log loader so I just tossed a chain on it, had my wife drive ahead in a separate car as a wide load warning, and away we went. I learned (2) things long ago about getting free things off people:

(1) Do what you said you would do and strike while the iron is hot. They might change their mind or forget they gave it to you
    (2) Take everything, even if it is junk. They want their yard cleaned up, not just part of it.

On number 2, I have no real use for the sprayer, but it has a cool 2 piston geared pump that is kind of cool. That unto itself was worth getting, plus the gears and chains and gear boxes and such...

I am still up in the air about grains. I got a small bakery that is interested in me providing small grains for them, but they require certified organic and it will be awhile before I get that certification. I could stick with sheep though, dedicate some acreage to small grains, give the sheep my own home raised grain to fatten up the lambs, then mix the straw in with their silage to get a nice dry matter/protein mix, and have some good looking sheep. It takes 3 years to become certified organic, and yet if sheep farming is in a slump now, by staying with it, I might come out of the tunnel on the other end stronger. At some point it has to get better.

J. Dirt likes this.
  11. clay shooter

clay shooter

12. stumplifter

stumplifter

197? Leyland 270, shown with Deere cultivator, also have a Ford brush hog and IH 3 bottom plow - all bought used and maintained to a 'functioning condition'. Really need a sickle mower.

Attached Files:

13. stumplifter

stumplifter

2001 Polaris Xpedition used mostly for plowing snow - need to get chains for the Leyland.

Attached Files:

14. leoht

leoht

This is one of dads Fordson farm majors with his New holland super 69 hay bailer.
    [​IMG]

Fordson FEL picking up hay.
    [​IMG]

Another Fordson with a hay rake.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Benjamin Turner

Benjamin Turner

HOLY CANOLI! How did I miss this thread!? I'm completely obsessed with old tractor and farm equipment! I have some of my pictures up in the gardening thread on another page. I'll have to plop some up here :) I'm into IH and Oliver mostly. Right now my only tractor is a Oliver 550 gas '61. It's a got a loader for doing wood stuffs and plowing snow in winter and whatever else. Lifting heavy stuff out of truck bed. Also use to play farm on my property with some old implements I've collected. Need to find a 2 row planter though! Planting by hand still. Takes a while haha and makes row cultivating my corn a bit tricky to say the least :/

16. Benjamin Turner

Benjamin Turner

I'm a bit GREEN with envy my friend. I'd love to have one of those McCormick 80 pull type combines. AND a New Idea picker.

Screwloose, clay shooter and J. Dirt like this.
  17. Benjamin Turner

Benjamin Turner

What an awesome crew of red there! That is such an awesome planter! I'd love to find a two row three point planter like that. Not common. I'm assuming that was a three point mounted planter that you modified to fit your fast hitch? Or vice versa?

18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Thanks ! I’ve got 9 tractors total and a bunch of attachments . As for the planter I picked that up about 10 years ago from a guy that used to be an auctioneer. It’s actually an international 3pt. Tool bar with the John Deere planters hung on it. I’m hoping maybe today or tommorrow to put in some sweet corn with it. Stay tuned I’ll try for a video :ithappened:

19. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Backwoods Savage
    Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone I have a John Deere

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

John Deer 2 row corn planter
    Too bad this didn't come up before...I was just to Appleton WI with an empty cargo area last weekend...:doh:

Last edited: May 27, 2018