In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Old Haulers

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MrWhoopee, Apr 13, 2017.

1. cwn877

cwn877

Bring that to the gtg Duane(Pa) I will give it a good home.

clemsonfor and Duane(Pa) like this.
  2. bang

bang

My brother in law offered me a free 86 Ford 1/2 ton that he says is primo ( Alabama truck). The catch is after he got it from a relative he was unable to get the title. I can use it on my property mainly as a wood hauler. The truck is at his camp about 40 miles from me and I'm waiting for him to be there so I can trailer it home. I'll post pics when I get it, hopefully soon.

Thor and clemsonfor like this.
  3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

You can always apply for a lost title to the truck and then register it in your name.

Horkn, Thor and clemsonfor like this.
  4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Make sure the VIN doesn't come back to a stolen vehicle first.

Horkn, Thor, clemsonfor and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Hopefully the relative that his brother in law got it from was not in the stolen car business.

I would just go to the Department where you register your cars and ask what it takes for a lost title.

Horkn, Thor, clemsonfor and 1 other person like this.
  6. bang

bang

long story but basically the son conned his dad out of the title and won't give it up without $.

7. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Ok gotcha. Family business can sometimes be messy.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Here is my old K10. It's a 350/350/205, sitting on 33s, original Ralley wheels. Has original 3.07 or 3.08 gears, open diffs. Gets 8mpg loaded with a trailer like this and 12mpg if I drive it like a granny. Has dual 16 gallon saddle bomb tanks.

I love this truck. I can't tell you how many people every year want to buy this old beat up truck!! 20160825_093733.jpg

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

love that truck.

eatonpcat likes this.
  10. Transplanted Live Oak

Transplanted Live Oak

:D
    I have found that most things from Alabama are (primo). Just saying.
    :D

bang and clemsonfor like this.
  11. bang

bang

I picked up the 86 Ford half ton and it is as nice as my bro in law said. I'll need mud grips on the rear (it's a 4x2) and it has a coolant leak I'll need to repair but it's so nice I hate to ding it up in the woods. For some reason I am unable to download pics to my desktop from my phone and can't post pics directly to this site from my phone so no pics for now.

eatonpcat likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Unless your phone is very old and or slow it's easy. When you reply to a thread hit the "upload file" button to the right of the "post reply" button. Then choose where the picture is and the picture in the screens that pop up. Then hit like submit or something. It loads it and you can type as it loads. Then your good. You have the option to choose full or thumb how it appears inline, or you can do nothing and it defaults to thumb.

But the reason you cite is why I haven't ever painted may hauler. I'd feel guilty if I scratched it.

I'd be figuring how to get a salvage title from a certified letter from owner. But he can apply for a duplicate title. It's $30 in this state. I'd just do all the paperwork for him and have him sign. Just make sure you have bill of sale so he can't go back on the deal.

bang likes this.
  13. bang

bang

The guy that holds the title got it by scamming his dad and I'm told he's a nutcase. He refuses to release the title now for any amount of $ but originally wanted $3000 for it. He also refuses to take the truck back. Someone told me yesterday that Indiana has a title provision for an abandoned title if you have possession of a vehicle for a certain amount of time if it's not reported as stolen. I really don't need the title or tags except when I take firewood to my son but I have a dualy to do that with.
    I was recently given permission to remove the tops from 60 acres adjoining my property and I made a deal to get a road cut all the way thru wide enough for a pick up truck. There is probably a 5 or 6 year supply of hardwood and that's after I share it with the neighbor on the other side of my property.

Afa uploading pics I clicked on upload file then clicked on the photo and it takes me back to the previous screen but nothing happens, I'll try again, maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Ugh, this post has me lusting for an 80's half ton again. I just wish there were nice ones around here!

Horkn and clemsonfor like this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea but didnt you say the kid wasn't the owner. If the dad never signed he can get the replacement title

Horkn likes this.
  16. bang

bang

My bro in law tried for 5 years to get the title, the dad wouldn't do anything to harm his son and the son is a pri#*. The dad is now in a nursing home and mentally incompetent. If the truck had a title my bro in law would have kept it so it's better for me that it doesn't have a title and if he gets the title I have agreed to give it back.

Horkn, eatonpcat and clemsonfor like this.
  17. bang

bang

149347597490677373427.jpg 149347597490677373427.jpg here it is

clay shooter, Thor, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  18. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Looks like a old ford tractor in the background of your pic. Maybe a 8n or 9n.

Horkn and bang like this.
  19. bang

bang

1939 9n that I bought in 1979, pretty rough but still runs

Horkn, eatonpcat and clemsonfor like this.
  20. bang

bang

I'm reviving this thread because of recent developments. I found a way to get a title and told my BIL about it, he declined and said I can have the truck. Heres what I did and it's totally legal and above board, it's called the Vermont loophole. If you have a valid bill of sale, no title and a vehicle 15 years or older Vermont will issue a registration and tag, of course it can't be stolen. No inspection is required and you don't have to be a Vt resident. You will be required to pay Vt sales tax (6%) on the NADA low value and a fee, cost me just under $200 and I got the plates and registration in 4 weeks. The info I got claims that you can take the registration to any state and they have to honor it and issue you a registration and title (if required in your state) because VT is a non-title state for 15 yo vehicles but I haven't done that yet. I guess it's a common thing for car and mc collectors, just google Vermont loophole for a ton of info and how to get the forms if you have a vehicle with a missing title.

So far I have changed the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, temp sender, radiator cap and fan blower. I got a fan clutch but it didn't fit so I may need a new one as it runs cool even with a 195 thermostat. The cooling system was a mess and I flushed it several times and finally got the heater core opened up to get good heat and I changed the oil and filter and lubed the front end. I picked up a set of Ford aluminum wheels that cleaned up nicely but I still need tires and the battery seems good but is 10 years old so I'm going to replace it. I never had a problem cranking until I drove it to town yesterday for the 1st time to get gas. After I gassed it up it would barley crank but after sitting about 10 minutes it turned over fine and started so I suspect it needs a starter. I'll put up some pictures soon.

Need2Saw, Chvymn99, Boogeyman and 4 others like this.