In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ok, I gotta be dumb lol

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Joe P, Jan 25, 2021.

1. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I guess I don't know what these do that the stock ones don't? Only time I've ever used my dogs is when my chain is getting dull in order to use as leverage. When I see myself having to use the dogs as leverage is when I know it's time to sharpen the chain. With a sharp chain I don't even come close to having the dogs touch the wood....even when felling. Although I guess I do use them when I am stumping.

The way you show it above looks like the mating surface does not come in full flat contact with the chain cover....? Like it will start to bend the dog out from the bar once you start to tighten it....?

Screwloose, Horkn, Christoph and 3 others like this.
  2. huskihl

huskihl

Correct. That cover is not made for using an outside dog. There is a wider West Coast clutch cover kit that is. I’m not saying that carving some metal out of the way is a good thing or bad. Only the owner can decide if that’s the way he wants to go

3. Joe P

Joe P

well the outer definitely doesn't sit flat on the clutch cover, which I'm not particularly fond of. I don't have the non-captured nuts so I can't tighten it down to see how it would sit when it's tight. Amazon looks like they have the full wrap kit for 40 bucks which is less than the westcoast dogs by themselves.

I have had the stock dogs on my 450 rancher slip on oak bark that wanted to peel off (it was dead standing) when I was really putting the coals to it.

ETA: Huskihl, just saw your post regarding the cover not working with an outer dog... Does the wrap around kit work with the 572 or do I have to modify the clutch cover to make it work? Not sure I want to start chopping on that if I do.

Screwloose, Horkn, Ronaldo and 2 others like this.
  4. huskihl

huskihl

The kit includes the full wrap handle, large dogs, larger clutch cover and roller chain catcher along with hardware to secure it.
    Make sure it’s the full kit. There are sellers out there that want $50 just for the clutch cover.

You want part # 579 50 40-01

5. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

For me, I find the bigger dogs come in very handy for felling, because you can stick the saw in position on the side of a tree easier, before you even start your cut. And I also like them better for noodling, and of course low stump cutting. But I usually don't really need it for low stump cutting, however it works good there, too.

Recently, I was felling a tree just inside a fence line, cutting at about 5ft high to get over the fence, and made the face cut from the same side of the fence as the tree was on. But the back cut was something else, as I would be trapped by the fence if I made it from the same side of the fence, so I had to go around and lean over the fence to make the cut in a bit of an awkward stretched out over the top of the fence position, but at least I had room to run if things did not go well. However, it was easy because of the big dogs where I was able to just lean over and stick the saw on the tree, no straining to hold it up there and then make the back cut. It was easy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Screwloose, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  6. huskihl

huskihl

Your dealer may be cheaper yet. I got them from mine a year ago for $30 per kit

You can also try this number with no spaces

6514151A-8853-447F-864A-198B128EF011.png

7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Man! That's a deal! If everything bolts up and works, that is.

8. huskihl

huskihl

It works perfectly. It’s an OEM kit meant for this saw

9. huskihl

huskihl

I actually had a kit in stock here. Had I known Joe wanted it, I would have installed it for him so it was ready to rock

10. Joe P

Joe P

Heck, I didn't even know it existed. :) Again, I'm a learning SOB. hehehe. If you have the kit still, PM me the price and I'll mail you a check + whatever shipping is gonna be. Otherwise I can run over to my local Homesteader's store and see if they have one or can order one. Rather support a forum member tho if you have it :)

Screwloose, Horkn, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  11. huskihl

huskihl

I would check your local dealer first. With the size of the box that the wrap handle comes in, shipping would be nearly as much as the kit. I sold both sets of dogs to a fella I just ported a 572 for so I don’t have those anyway

12. huskihl

huskihl

Joe P
    I just ordered two more from my dealer. $30.99 plus tax. If your dealer comes close to that, that’s what I would do. If not, I will gladly send you one of these

13. Joe P

Joe P

Dealer has them for the same price. Had to order, but thats ok. They ordered the wrong chain for my bar, so I gotta go back again anyways.

14. Horkn

Horkn

For all of that hardware, that's a smokin' deal.

Screwloose, brenndatomu and huskihl like this.
  15. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

What dealer do you go to around here? There used to be a Husky dealer in Reedsburg across from Slahma's, but they've been gone for awhile now.

Gotta love dealers. :picard: Why I try to order everything online. If I can't find it online I use the dealer as the last resort and I make sure I tell them the part number. I just ordered a couple new chains on eBay. I think if you go to the dealer and simply ask for a chain for your saw, they will probably give the crappy anti-kickback ones.

Screwloose, Horkn, Chud and 1 other person like this.
  16. Joe P

Joe P

I went to the Homesteader's store off the belt-line in Madison, right by west town mall. Give 'em one more change to get the right stuff. I gave them part number for the chain and kit. If I get the wrong chain and wrong wrap kit, that will be the last time I grace them with my presence. There is something about ordering your own stuff. Course the last bar I ordered for my new saw was the wrong one so I had to send it back. LOL.

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  17. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

That makes me want to buy a husky, just to get this deal. I wanted a full wrap for my Stihl 362 and ordered one from my dealer, and it cost over 200 dollars, and I ordered it a month ago, and when I went to pick it up today after it finally came in, I found out it was the handle only, and still required more money for mounting brackets which they didn't have anyway. I told them to just keep it, I wasn't going to spend more for brackets to boot. I guess I will just live without it. I suppose I don't really need it that bad, anyway.

I wish sometimes we had a good Husky dealer locally, but we don't that I know of.

Screwloose and huskihl like this.
  18. huskihl

huskihl

I can hook ya up lol

19. Screwloose

Screwloose

Thats a crazy low price for a oem kit, I wouldn't cobble anything at that rate. I have to ask ...are those arrows on the chain to show direction ?

20. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I am tempted. I may pm you one of these days on a saw build. I am trying to keep my CAD under control right now, since I kind of went overboard this last few months. I am up to 4 saws, and when I am doing clean up of my fields, low cutting old stumps, etc. I will take all four and usually come back with 4 dull saws. I dulled all four the other day and then swapped a new chain to one of them in the field and kept cutting. I do like having several saws, that way, when I am cutting, I am cutting, not usually working on saws in the woods or field much.