In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Official yard cart/ utility trailer thread

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jun 8, 2015.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Rustoleum professional high performance enamel is great paint. Rust Tough is the Krylon equivalent. I have used the Rust Tough on some stuff. If prep is done well and primer used, it is incredibly durable in my experience. Rustoleum should yield same results. I cannot get the Rust tough in gallons through work anymore due to VOC restrictions. Oddly, we can still get the spray bombs of the same stuff? Have used the aerosols quite a bit and have been impressed.

Bottom line...waterborne paint doesn't hold a candle to petroleum based.

Horkn, Hammy, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I can't beleive how well the rustolium has done on some of my projects on like my bush hog where I am welding patches in. Do half asset prep work that only consists of a wire wheel getting it shiny then blowing dust and maybe wiping clean with brake clean before I paint the bare metal with the rustolieum. Lasts for years so far and still protecting. No etching primer or primer or anything.

Horkn, RCBS, Hammy and 4 others like this.
  3. woody5506

woody5506

True. We won't even accept jobs at work that spec out water based paints. They spray like crap, dry slow, and look like crap.

Horkn, RCBS, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  4. woody5506

woody5506

Rusto has it's place in the general consumer market for sure. It's priced well, good color selection, readily available, etc. I've always thought Krylon was garbage compared to Rusto. When you need something with longevity in mind that needs to withstand corrosive/rough environments, that's where products like Rusto just won't cut it. When you get into industrial grade products, some pretty funky stuff not available to regular consumers, is when you start seeing how crazy different paints/protective coatings can get. When you get into automotive paints, you start seeing how ridiculously overpriced they are.

Horkn, RCBS, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Yet the problem usually stems from the fancy automotive paints failing?

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea for sure there is better stuff out there but the product that rustolieum brings at the $30 price point I think is a great value! I fully aware that some professional stuff would exist that would be way better and last longer but I'm sure it's way more money as well

Horkn, RCBS, Hammy and 1 other person like this.
  7. RCBS

RCBS

Both Rustoleum and Krylon have several lines, some more durable than others. The Krylon stuff at Walmart is not the same product as their Rust Tough line, which is "the good stuff".

I agree that industrial coatings and paints is a quite daunting world to look into. Also, the paint for my motorcycle is $90...for a half-pint! It shore is pretty though! :)

Horkn, bear 1998 and clemsonfor like this.
  8. woody5506

woody5506

haha I don't doubt it! We primed a '56 Chevy with DP90 recently which is kind of a gold standard automotive primer. Over $400 for a gallon kit of it, and the car needed about 2.5 kits. I'd love to know the profit margins on those automotive paints.

RCBS, Horkn, bear 1998 and 2 others like this.
  9. Duramax1

Duramax1

I had Mike Schultz build this trailer for me a few yrs ago. Custom features I added: 5200lb Dexter torsion axle, 4 d rings in the bed, LED lights, bulldog coupler and a big grab handle on the ramp. It is 6x10 and is rated for 4200lbs of payload. I wanted a strong single axle as it is still pretty easy to move around by hand but would hold more than the typical 3500lb single axle trailers. I paid $1900 for this with all the add ons and according to his website, he will ship from Oregon. Mike does nice work!

M.S. Metal Works Custom Trailers Homepage

Attached Files:

RCBS, Chvymn99, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I know a Mike Schultz . Different one.

RCBS, Horkn, Hammy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

Cheng Shin used to be decent tires. I put a couple sets on dirt and dual purpose bikes over the years. I had nothing but good things to say about the old Cheng Shin. Now, as recently as 5 years ago, I was buying containers full of all sorts of Chinese tires and casters for use on carts and such. If you get a few years out of them, that's good.

Chaz, RCBS, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have a set on my 4 wheeler on the front. I think I bought them like 4 years ago. Knock on wood they seem to be ok so far.

Chaz, RCBS, Hammy and 2 others like this.