In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oddball Omega?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by 3650, Jan 12, 2016.

1. 3650

Hi guys

New, to me, Omega owner here. Its actually a 2007 model WH-Omega-188803. It has the 3" exhaust pipe and the outside air flange is just that....a flange only. There is no hole through to the burn pot. This is my main concern right now, as it's 3 degrees out and this stove is set on level 4 and the room the stove is in is 62*. I have a very drafty house and with out an oak it just won't warm up.

I would like to learn where it is pulling air from for the firebox? I can put a hole where the oak flange is but I will need to seal off the place it is currently getting air from, right? Seems to me there's no point putting a hole in the firebox if its still going to be able to pull from the house. I'm sure there is probably a boat load of others upgrades this stove needs but for rich now this is my main concern. I will definitely have to modify the fire pot liner once it warms up. The carbon is building up very quickly and this thing sounds like a 3 mast ship rocking to and fro.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

imacman, wildwest and ivanhoe like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks to be in the same location where mine is, But I have a flapper inside it. I'll snap a couple of pic's for you once I get home.

IIRC mine is a late 2008 unit, But still had the welded agitator, So it was considered to be one of the first run. It also has the 3" exhaust housing where later units had 4"

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  3. 3650

No flapper here. Just a solid sheet of galvanized tin. So if you didn't have your oak running outside it would still pull air through your flange via this flapper you speak of? Interesting. I can't find a place mine pulls air from. The flange is merely a "dummy" oak. Guy that built this one must have had one hell of a hangover.

Any tips on contacting Enviro. I don't see any possible way from their website. There's a dealer locator but nothing near me and tbh I have very little faith in dealers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    ivanhoe likes this.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

IIRC the oak inlet is inside a cutout in the tin. But lemme check when I get home!!

ivanhoe likes this.
  5. Rich250

Rich250

I can just here this at the factory,hey Harry you forgot to install the oak,oh chit zip,zip,zip,zip with the screw gun,Henry says how the hell is that gonna work, Harry says who the hell needs an oak anyway.

imacman, gbreda, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

imacman, ivanhoe and slvrblkk like this.
  7. 3650

Yeh sure no problem...I'm just thinking out loud here. I've called both dealers Enviro's website has down that are a few hours away and they both say they aren't dealers...so no luck there.

ivanhoe likes this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Mine looks very similar. The flapper is also galvanized. Its hard to tell by the pic's but the stove is running and its open a bit on the bottom.

IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Rich250, ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  9. 3650

Yes yours has a visible gap. I don't see that on mine. I'll pull that flange off tomorrow and see if there's anything behind it. I wonder if those button head allen screws have a nut behind them or or if they are self tappers. I tried pushing on that piece of tin and there was no movement. I'll find out tomorrow. I'm at work right now so ill get to it in the morning. I need to clean that burn pot liner too. This pot stirer is a noisy bastard. I'll drill those holes in the liner and see if that helps any. Thanks for the pic.

10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

???, But I'd expect them to be self threading/tapping. You'll know once you take the first one out.

I wonder if the hinge is just stuck/rusted?

11. 3650

Yup....possible. The guy said he never used it. It was sittin in a 5000 square foot pole barn. He said it wouldn't heat so he never used it. It looks fairly new. Might just be rusted stuck. Tbh, it doesn't seem to be throwing the heat I thought it would. I'm running it on level 4 and the house was 61* when I left. 1200 sq ft.house, only insulated in the attic. I'm fairly sure my Cumberland running just below wide open on a day like today would probably have the house at about 67*. So it looks like I've got some fine tunning to do. I'll have to get my hands on a Mag gauge and see what the WC is.

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Unless your burning heatless pellets you should be roastin. I heat close to 2K on level 3 and it spends more time off than on. Never needed to use anything above 4 and that was only to get the house temp up quick after a power outage.

But I did tweak da chit out of mine. 455cfm maxx blower and some mods to the burn pot(to reduce carbon) and fire grate(to reduce pellet lost to the ash pan).

3650, IHATEPROPANE, Rich250 and 2 others like this.
  13. 3650

Burnin one of the best....Somerset's. Yeh I've been reading about how this stove is supposed to be a virtual flame thrower and I dont see it. Last Saturday it was around zero with a _25 windchill. My thermostat was at about 63* I opened this stove all the way up and left for about 8 hours. When I got home the wind had died down to calm and the temp was still around zero... My house was only 75*. I was kind of expecting more. I've plays around with pellet stoves running them wide open before and had my house up to 96* in dead winter with a Quadrafire Mt Vernon. Did similar tests with the Cumberland. The Harman Accentra couldn't come close to what those stoves do. So, maybe I got a dud here with the Omega.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Could be, But I think your on the right track. That flapper should be open some under load. The pic of mine is on low setting and it was close to being 1/8 inch open. High its more like 1/3 way open or so.

I'll try and snap a pic when its going good on medium heat(level 3).

15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Did you clean it before putting it in use?

jtakeman could prob help with the passages, but that is a big heater in a smaller home. Seems like you should be shedding clothes!!!

Especially with Sets!! A OAK will help, but I think it needs cleaned. Exhaust blower/impeller, passages, heat exchanger, etc.

imacman, ivanhoe, 3650 and 3 others like this.
  16. 3650

I inspected the exhaust and could see the fan blades...they had some build up but it didnt look too bad. The firebox looked good. I'm not familiar with the passages or how ro remove the flame guide. I did pull the heat exchanger cleaning rods. Something is definitely amiss. it was 58 in the house when I got home still set on level 4. what should the feed trim be on?

Now....this is the point where the new guy lets everyone know how he likes his crow. I like it it roasted on a spit over some nice mesquite served up with loads of rosemary potatoes . I checked the oak flange when I got home and viola...it was abou 3/8" open. I cant explain why it wouldn't budge before. It sure seems like one solid plate. Needless to say I jimmied up some pipe and now have an OAK. Just need to get this old giant start throwin some heat .

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to meet you:)

ivanhoe, jtakeman, 3650 and 1 other person like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Not much passages on these. Once you pull the inner baffle all is visible. If you pull the damper all the way open you can clean the exhaust fan blades. The only tricky bit is the exhaust passage from the blower housing to the exhaust outlet. But I've yet to see much build up in that area. And if there is any the leaf blower should get it out.

Another interesting spot is getting the crud off the back side of the convection tubes. I use a 1/2 wire tube brush with about an inch of it bent in a 90º side it between the tubes and twist the brush so it can work on the topside of the tubes. Otherwise these things are pretty dang simple to keep clean. That is when you clean them. I gotta do mine its been neglected badly but still roastin ou out!!

ivanhoe, 3650 and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  19. 3650

What do you have your feed trim at?

ivanhoe and jtakeman like this.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Usually have trim set at 3 but some of the duds I'll go to 4.

Mag is set on the low side of the scale for most good pellets. I'll bump it up if the burn gets dirty.

My convection temps give a good clue to the pellet quality. I usually see 250ºF on an average pellet on heat level 3 trim 3(magged at about .11 and bumped to.13 for cruddy stuff).....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016