In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oaks to come down...hopefully

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Jan 14, 2018.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

As mentioned in a different thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread, so....

There's a few large oaks just over my property line, that I'd like to take down.

The branches now extend over the driveway, and are causing another shade tree to reach for the sun, in a singular direction due to the oaks blocking the sun.

The two on the left I'd like to have taken down, and the one on the right, have a large branch removed.
    Part_1.jpeg

It's difficult to see, but another forked red oak has branches overhanging where we park, and are just about over the house. Between the red lines Part_2x.jpg

I'll add more pics when I can take them without looking directly into the sun.

I've dropped am email to the next door land owner. It'll be interesting to see how this moves forward.

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

I hope he's agreeable to your proposal. It would be nice if he offered to chip in to pay the tree service!

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Well... he is "connected" businessman with lots of retail/commercial property in town.

In my email, I asked if he knew of a tree service with reasonable pricing. I'm sure he does. One mention of his name to any recommendation, and I'm sure I'd get a good discount off the standard rate. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

4. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Ha. I wish. Not exactly the neighborly thing to do, cutting big trees on someone else's property without consent. I'd like to not have any legal proceedings head my way.

6. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Remember that you outright own any part of a tree that is growing over your property, doesn't matter where the stump is. So even if the adjacent property owner says no you can remove anything and everything that hangs over your property.

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Ok - here is a different view of the oak that overhangs the driveway -

The curving of the upper branches, all lean towards the driveway and house. Stone wall is the property line

IMG_20180114_141536776.jpg

And here is the effect of the other oaks are having on an ash(on the right) that shades the house in the summer. All of it's branches are growing to the the right. EAB aside, I don't want to lose this tree of at all possible.

IMG_20180114_162901412.jpg

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Thanks for that. I'd still like to be the friendly neighbor, until such time there's a need to be otherwise.

9. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

I get bring s good neighbor. If they are good people, I would negotiate. Bad neighbor......:saw:

10. CHeath

CHeath

As an insurance agent, it’s a sticky situation. Here in my parts, of the tree is not on your land and falls on your property with damage, the land/tree owner is NOT responsible. Make sure you cover this with the owner. MikeInMa

11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Neighbor asked me about a couple of oaks on my property that were leaning over onto his... he had a guy in mind to cut em... I thought it sounded reasonable so I gave the go ahead.. once cut, I took the sawlogs and firewood and he got rid of the tops... worked out well for both of us...

12. savemoney

savemoney

Hope you work it out. Parking under an oak is not safe. They tend to loose big branches that can cause a lot of damage to what ever they fall on.

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Thanks. That's why I'd have the trees pieced down - minimizes the risk of damage.

14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

here's a better picture of the ash with branches growing towards the brighter sky, and away from the large oaks
    Part_5.jpeg

I have reached out to the land owner. He gave me the name of a guy that does tree service for him. I called and his tree guy will be paying me a visit sometime this week.

Further, the landowner mentioned that he thought that I shouldn't have to pay for the tree work! Yahtzee!!

If I'm able to keep the wood, then double Yahtzee!!

Stay tuned

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

Save you some coin! A7NxqKY.jpg

16. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If you want to save the ash, consider a pesticide injector to prevent infestation. Just do s search online. I think there are some that you can buy and apply yourself...

17. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Tree pros came today and left a quote. I scanned it and sent it to the landowner. Waiting to hear back.

They said they'd need to bring a crane, and take the trees down in big pieces. Tops will be chipped and taken away. To save on space in my yard, I'll have them lay the biggest pieces of the trunk down, pretty much where they are now on the neighbor's side of the property line. This way, they won't be in my way as I deal with a big pile of the limbs, and I'll get to the trunks over time.

18. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Guys from the show big bad wood give you a quote? Not sure if you saw that show.

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I know of that show. The local outfit I believe was "American Climbers ", out of Hopkinton. This was a different tree service out of Bellingham, that has done work for my neighbor in the past.

20. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Sounds like everything worked out so far... keep us updated!