In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oak

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Paul bunion, Aug 24, 2017.

  1. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,491
    Likes Received:
    113,812
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Nice... and Cut to length Oak even better...:yes:
     
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,724
    Likes Received:
    224,422
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    You don't suppose if he lets them have access to the splitter.....naw, spose not!
     
  3. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Score!:stacke: And you don't suck Paul bunion, The others are all jealous. Me, I'm just envious.:) :rofl: :lol:
     
  4. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    All split today. Got it stacked up and covered just as the remnants of Harvey showed up.

    Main stack at 13.5 x a little over 5 high comes in at near 2/3 cord. The rest was 8' and maybe 2.5 high but some was the short ends. So call it < 3/4 of a cord. My initial guess was about 1/2 so no complaints. The way the winters have been the past few years I've been burning under 3 cords making this almost a third of what I need for 2020.


    IMG_1296.JPG


    Now the somewhat weird part. About 40 years ago the family that lived in the house where this tree grew was murdered. It didn't bother me till I counted the rings. I did it from the inside ( about 120 years). What I was really looking for was to see if there was any change in the growth over the last 10-15 years because this tree had two siblings that came down between hurricane Floyd and Irene. And for that part of the science project there was noticeable increase in growth rate over the last 12 years. That tree got more light and packed on some serious meat. But then when I thought about what the tree was witness to before that I was done counting rings. It was more than I wanted to know and I split up that stump round.
     
  5. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,464
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I was going to give you a you suck but then I looked at your weather bug. :bug::jaw::hair:
    upload_2017-9-2_22-6-33.jpeg
     
  6. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Weatherbug is the coldest thermometer there is, Vostok Antarctica.
     
  7. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,464
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    So you have it set on a location that isn't where you live?
     
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    It sure made it pretty stack of firewood:thumbs::stacke:
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    If so, I'd like to see all of his wood piles!
     
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,464
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I was wondering how many cords that would require (if there is a season)!!
    :stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke::stacke: