In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Now I have to move it all...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Joseph Valenti, May 29, 2020.

1. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I went and did some more research because I was curious why everyone said longer cycle times on higher ton splitters. The one we chose is 40 ton with 25 gallon per minute 2 stage pump listed at about 9.5 second cycle time but I assume it slows down in really heavy stuff like anything would. 9.5 seems ideal, any faster and I might not keep up. The smaller ones all say around 11-12 seconds. The engine is a Kohler CH440 and the hydraulic fluid capacity is almost 10 gallons so might not heat up as fast as smaller capacity hydraulic systems. I don’t own any Kohler engines yet, but if they have any quirks let me know.

My main concerns are beam construction related. I want to see the welds and make sure the debris will be able to fall away and not get jammed in the track.

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's the difference right there...it has a larger engine and pump...many times they put the same (or close) engine and pump on with a larger cylinder...yes it has more force that way, but the cycle times drop...you have the best of both worlds...just have a larger engine to feed...not much of issue for personal firewooding though.
    What model did you get?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  3. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

It’s a Countyline, she works part time at TSC So we get a decent discount. They had a recall on the frames a couple years back, that’s part of why I’m going to inspect it carefully and try to use it a lot within reason while it’s still under warranty. It’s not commercial by any means, but for what I’m ramping up to do soon which is for a few households in our extended family. I think it will do nicely and I won’t have to buy again. Also since she picked it I don’t get blamed fully if it fails prematurely, Bob forbid.