In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Now I have to move it all...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Joseph Valenti, May 29, 2020.

1. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

This is my first thread that I started, I believe.

I bucked up this 35” diameter tree, on the border of a friend’s property and their neighbor. I did not take a photo before I started, only halfway through day 1 :
    043C3C38-0902-4232-8B05-C6365C690015.jpeg and end of day 2. :
    EC53FE2A-F347-4D49-9971-4C615FB46BEB.jpeg 7F928F0E-1942-4E69-AECB-746984982F96.jpeg 105D167A-487F-42EF-ABC7-DBBD1ECF01CE.jpeg
    I believe the neighbor said it was red oak. If you know please offer any of help . It’s been down for about two years. It’s about 10 minutes from my house. I have a small 4x8 trailer, but it is much too tall to load these into. So I think the plan is to borrow or rent a trailer with a ramp that I can roll the logs onto early next week.

The saws cut well, throwing off shavings about 1-2.25 inches long. : D431A08C-72D0-485A-80FD-D7E052640EFF.jpeg

It took a couple sessions to buck it because there was so much brush around it most of the first day was spent clearing around it. Also wrestling with 16” x 30”-35”rounds of heavy wood alone was somewhat strenuous. I also had to place them in a way where they wouldn’t fall on my friend’s small children or dog if they got into the area.

Anyway, looking forward to moving this home and splitting this and my other recent hauls.

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Looks good Joe. And it does look like red oak on my phone. Can't tell what Stihl you have but it looks big enough to noodle those big rounds.:saw: No use killing your back. Work smarter not harder. Keep the pics comin.:)

3. Loon

Loon

Nice! :cheers:

Wouldnt take ya long to noodle. Is that Blue saw one of these?

4. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

The large blue saw is a Holzfforma G660 (92 cc, something like 7hp) ms660 clone with a Stihl rollomatic 36” bar and full skip RS chain. Stihl is a 462 CM, Full Comp RS which is almost as powerful and much lighter and more nimble. I also have a G366 running a 20” Oregon pro lite with lgx chain on the smaller side of the Stihl, it was back in the truck box because the spark plug wire prong came loose and when inspected fully fell out. It’s repaired and working again now.

I’m sure I could noodle it, but if I noodle before I put it on the trailer I have to lift it twice or more and if I don’t I can roll it about 30 feet on level ground to the trailer ramp. I have a whole bunch of other stuff to split, so I may just rent or buy a vertical capable splitter once it’s home anyway. After that I’ll try to keep up with the axe, but much of what I have is old, knotty and large.

5. Loon

Loon

Sounds great and good the saw was an easy fix.:yes:

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Lots of work bucking those big uns, but they generate a lot of wood. If its oak you should be able to section the big rounds rather than try to roll them. Oak splits rather easily with a maul/sledge & wedge/axe etc. Ive do this on a regular basis to load wood into my PU. Probably have to section those into sixths/eights. One other option is to split on site. I do that on occasion when i can/need to.
    Noodling works well as farmer steve said.
    Some nice looking firewood btw. Looking forward to seeing more pics of it.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  7. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

My friend is not in a huge rush, but I’d rathe get it out of there for them.

I don’t have a pickup. My trailer is second hand and made from an old vehicle frame. I’m not sure what vehicle, probably very old. It can only hold half ton{EDIT 3/4 ton is more accurate because gross is 2800LBS and it weighs about 1300 empty} of wood roughly. {ETA it’s a very high trailer} I have a first gen Sequoia 4wd, the 4x8 homebuilt trailer, and a hitch mounted cargo tray with a Poly truck tool box mounted to it to carry my saws and fuel without getting gasoline fumes inside the suv cabin.

I’ll report back on how I end up moving it. And how it splits.

I think rolling may be easier and faster this time, but your ideas are all good option to have when I’m not pressed for time. I have lots of other things to do with deadlines soon.

I have to:
    -do a walkthrough and show and rent out a property.
    -process my ducks in the next week or two.
    -set up the pool, which has been neglected since 2 years before we moved in 4 years ago, for the kids who are home all summer now.
    The pool is a swampy frog orgy and I have no idea how we’re getting all the leaves out. Can’t drain and refill, not in the budget and we’d probably have to replace the liner if we took tension off it.
    -do a bunch of other less time sensitive projects and put out fires.

If I can get it home in two days work, I can split it at my own pace and stress less. I have tools to roll and position the logs as well so I’m not wrestling logs from the ground.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    metalcuttr, Loon, Screwloose and 6 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I understand. Life keeps us busy. Too bad i wasnt closer as id help and offer my PU. Ive met three CT FHC members, went cutting with a couple. Always cool to meet another.
    How close are you to Hurd state park?

9. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I live on the other end of CT 151, it is about 9-10 miles down 151 to Hurd State Park. Thanks for the offer, I’d love to meet some time. Roughly where in Southern CT are you?

I have help on this job, my friend and one of my family members will help me load and unload on Monday and Tuesday, and
    if I was going to chunk it up my trailer could handle it and it’s only 5 minutes from home to the wood, so I could take multiple trips, but I have to get it home by June 2 or wait a couple of weeks. If I chunk it, I would then have to carry those chunks the 30 feet or use my yard cart. Actually the yard cart is a good idea to save my back. I was going to use it on the limbs anyway.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im in North Haven.
    My oldest stepdaughter and her BF may be building near Hurd. His father lives there and has a piece of land for them. I was there May 3. Nice country out there.

11. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I used to live closer, I grew up in Wallingford. Actually I’m visiting my parents tomorrow. They have a downed oak I have to cut up soon as well, but no rush it’s been there for a while.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Born and raised there. Moved to North Haven in 2010. My PO box is in Wallingford. Are you related to the car dealer?

13. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

Not directly, I think there was a marriage at one time with my great grandmother’s generation and that Valenti family, my great aunt knows the details.
    The family canned response is that we don’t get a Christmas card and I hear nobody gets a discount.

My dad is a Bob Valenti, but not that Bob Valenti.
    I know some of them live in Moodus/ East Haddam. I think I met the car dealership Bob Valenti’s mother at the senior center while donating blood.

I think you’re like a decade younger than my father and he is the youngest of his siblings. You may be closer in age to my wife’s uncle Gary. Did you go to Lyman Hall?

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No. Wilcox class of 86. Nine years of Catholic school in Wallingford. My brother and sister are 12/10 years older than me and both went to Lyman Hall. Class of 75 and 76 i think.
    I dont know any of the car dealer Valenti's, just thought of it when i saw your name.

15. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

My dad was LH class of ‘75. I think my mother in law was ‘76. My father in law was Wilcox, maybe ‘81 or so, I don’t know if his brother went to Wilcox or Lyman Hall. He would be younger.

16. jo191145

jo191145

Hey Joe. I recognize the name from FB. CCDL maybe? Maybe even ran for political office at one time?
    Anyway, doesn’t matter, East Hampton here, just down the road. If you need a hand Mon or Tue let me know. Have a dump trailer and it’ll pick those chunks on board by pressing a button ;)
    I‘m rather physically messed up, not worth a lot as raw labor, but have the ability to move heavy wood with ease. Let me know, glad to help. Always nice meeting forum members. And welcome to the forum.

17. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

Thanks for the welcome!
    I am not too active on FB lately, but I have an account and sometimes use it. I never ran for political office. If you’re available it would be nice to meet a member and have help. Also not to have to rent a trailer. Is there a direct message function to contact each other to coordinate something?

18. jo191145

jo191145

Yes there’s a personal message link. Top right of page next to your name. “Inbox”
    I’ll send you one ;)

metalcuttr, Loon, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Hoarders working together. Awesome!
    :yes:
    Don't forget to post a pic or 2 of your wood gathering adventure.
    :handshake:

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Post some pics if you have a mini GTG. Joe has a great wood getting set up Joe! Funny when i saw East Haddam i thought of him being fairly close by.
    Have fun and work safe guys if you meet up!