In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Not a Fancy Bake Oven - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Woodwidow, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    While we were waiting to cook the "bird", Campinspecter was running the boiler again. This time we tried chicken and taters. Our daughter who was home for the weekend was impressed.

A few coals left in the base.

100_0681.JPG

The pan is about 10" across and we have to be careful not to tip it putting it in.

100_0683.JPG

Put the potatoes in after the pan was at the bottom.

100_0684.JPG

Smells good. Potatoes should have been put in first and then added the chicken a bit later. "Oven" was a little hotter than last time.

100_0685.JPG

Out of the oven and headed upstairs to the table. Sorry forgot to take a picture of food on the plate.

100_0686.JPG

After this was baked, the "oven" was still hot so Campinspecter baked more potatoes to go with the turkey later in the day. I think I will be coming home to boiler baked potatoes more often in the future. In the next installment, I think I am going to try baking buns. :)

2. NW Walker

NW Walker

This is just the coolest thing! Love, love, love the way you are getting so much out of your wood burner, and the food looks fantastic! Keep 'em coming please.

3. Machria

Machria

What the heck are we looking at here? Are you cooking IN your chimney??

Mitch Newton likes this.
  4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I posted a picture in the part 1 thread; here it is again.

IMGP3685.JPG

We have a Jetstream wood water boiler. It has a refractory base where the burning takes place. On top is the water vessel which is connected to a 1000 gal storage unit. After Campinspecter does a firing cycle, the refractory base retains heat for quite some time. To access more of this heat, we will run the circulator between the water vessel and the storage tank on the right for up to 4 hours after the fire is out. You can also use the heat retained in the base for cooking as we found out. The idea was sparked by the baking oven fishingpol made and showed cooking cinnamon buns on this site. Below is a picture of the base where the fire takes place.

The base weighs 1,400 lbs.

IMGP3375.JPG

The burn chamber is vertical and about 42" deep when the unit is assembled. The food is cooked at the bottom of the burn chamber.
    Jetstream drawing.jpg

5. Daryl

Daryl

A giant rocket stove. Sort of.

campinspecter likes this.
  6. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I am not sure what a rocket stove is. This boiler is one of the first gasification boilers built and designed in the 70s. We also have another brand new one that is 30+ yrs old sitting in the basement waiting for this one to die. It was a lucky find a few years ago.

Gasifier and campinspecter like this.
  7. Machria

Machria

Oh, ok. Yep, it's a rocket stove.

Now, what the heck is the big thingy to the right in the first picture? I see wood planks wrapped with straps like a barrel, with insulation showing between them, and then attached to a big stainless thing! What the heck?

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

That is our 1000 gal storage tank wrapped in insulation and a protective covering. The stainless cover is to provide a fire shield and keep you from brushing up against the insulation. Inside are two coils of copper that are the heat exchangers. One heat exchanger provides hot water for heating the house and the other one provides hot water for our domestic use.

9. Machria

Machria

Nice! And, your in my dream area! I recently discovered Vancouver and the area, LOVE it! First, there is something like 7 to 1 woman to men! YOUZA! Why didn't anyone tell me that 20 years ago????

And then there is Whistler! Some of the best skiing in the world if you ask me. I've ski'd all over the world, the last 3 years I've done whistler and really love it.

Gasifier likes this.
  10. Daryl

Daryl

I picked this off the net. A general concept of one:

[​IMG]

11. Daryl

Daryl

I love you guys. Thank you! I've got a new stove research project for the winter.

12. Certified106

Certified106

Looks great!