In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No wood since January

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Dstrick, May 14, 2022.

1. Dstrick

Dstrick

I’ve been working with four different tree services in my area PNW. I come get their quality haul out wood. Fir last came in November 2021. Maple and alder in January. My side hustle is completely shut down and now I’m sitting on a sizable backlog of repeat burners and no way to support them.

anyone else seeing this?

MaineMtnMan likes this.
  2. Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

I'm in the PNW too. Only got one load from a tree company this year. I usually get at least 3. Me and another were just talking about how the available free wood has been scarce this year. Im not totally dependent on the wood guys delivering, I had to do a lot more hauling this year.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Dstrick like this.
  3. Rich L

Rich L

It's going to get harder for free wood.There's still free wood that I see from time to time.I just don't have the space to put it and time is running out.

jo191145 and MikeInMa like this.
  4. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I've more than I got room for right now. That's mainly because I haven't sold much this yr. And I just saw one of the tree services that normally supplies me had a Craigslist ad for free wood

jo191145 and brenndatomu like this.
  5. jo191145

jo191145

I’ll agree the free wood will become more scarce. Like that old saying, “you’re about to find out why your grandmother washed her tinfoil”.

FWIW was talking with a tree guy the other day. He said he’s getting g $300 a cord and no one is balking. I have no idea if it’s the truth but it should be. I’ve noticed less and less sellers are advertising full cord prices. They seem to be shrinking things in order to raise prices.
    $300 a cord is very reasonable these days yet there’s still a few advertising $220. It’s just not really worth it at that point.

theburtman likes this.
  6. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I went for several months with nothing. Since weather started clearing up in April I've had a lot dropped off (probably around 5 cords - that's a lot for me). I'm fortunate that some of the local tree services don't sell firewood (yet).

theburtman and Rich L like this.
  7. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Not to rub it in but where I live just north of NYC tree services come up to me randomly and ask if they can give me wood. There's nowhere around here to get rid of it without paying.....but I'm almost at capacity.....I could do probably 5 more cord if I get more plastic pallets (those I'm having a hard time sourcing) but that's it. Tree services pay my village to dump at their organic dump and it's just so damm wasteful it's insane. My neighbor is cutting down a pretty large river birch that's too close to his house....so I'll be getting that wood as well. I've always found the smaller tree services are the ones who will make the effort to drop off wood. The big ones don't care about saving money as much.

fire_man, Ohio and Rich L like this.