In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No time for a woodshed...need a cover strategy for this season's wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Rangerbait, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I'm still neck deep in the project to install my wood stove, and am not going to have the time to get to build a wood shed like I had originally planned...my wood hoard consists of 4 partial Holz Hausen, two of which will be used for this season. I am considering just building a quick 4x4 frame around the two I'm using, with a metal roof and slats for the sides, and figure I'll bring .5 cord into the garage for my ready pile...any other suggestions?

20862140_10214304928036240_1125563312_o.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. blacksmith

blacksmith

Reclaimed rubber roofing from your local demolition company works nicely and it doesn't get all tore up from the wind like a tarp does! Simply fasten it with some deck screws and washers directly to your stacks. Also place a couple of larger rocks on top to keep the wind from flapping and tearing where you have it screwed down. This will last you for years to come!:thumbs: So keep on splitting and stacking:stacke::stacke::axe::axe:

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Any kind of flexible material will sag to the middle of your round stacks, as indicated in your picture. At least, it looks like it would sag. You'd want to raise the middle of your stacks to more of a dome and less of a bowl. If no roofing rubber is availsble, then tarps would work for a season or two. First few dome pallets to toss on top to hold it down. But you need to get those stacks to shed water first.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

4. Jon_E

Jon_E

That's a tough one. I am assuming you will be using those for this winter's firewood? If it were mine, I would just throw a tarp over each one and secure the edges somehow, do it right before you get snow. The wood will still continue to dry out as long as it is not sealed up tightly. I am not a fan of holzhausens because once you start getting into them, there really is no good way to cover them up. The simple wood shed (see the one in my avatar to the left) is 8' deep by 16' wide (each bay is 8x8) and holds 6 cords when full to the roof. It's just banged together from rough sawn 5x5 and 4x4 pine and a bunch of Timberlok lags. Metal roof on 2x6 rough rafters.

blacksmith, Eric VW, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  5. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

My plan is to keep my seasoning wood in HH configuration since it looks badass, and then move the upcoming season's wood into the shed around mid-September. Just didn't get around to doing it this year since the stove project took a good bit of time, and I'd rather do some recreating with my rugrats once this work is over.

I wonder if making some sort of tee pee over the HH might work?

blacksmith, Eric VW, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock

Used pool covers on craigslist , I have seen a lot of round and ovel ones on there

7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

EZ-up type canopy

blacksmith, Eric VW, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  8. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I thought about something like that too, but it's freaking wind tunnel here in the winter, and I doubt any tent-like structure would survive.

HDRock, blacksmith, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think you could build a quick "shed" out of pallets for walls. Even if you just put 4 pallets up to make 4 corners...maybe a couple 2x4s to tie 'em all together some how...and then some old rubber roofing or pool cover for a "roof" Or if you are feeling fancy nail a few sheets of old metal roofing on 'er (or could just buy new roofing...if you're feeling real fancy ;))
    If you shop around a lil, you can buy metal roofing for $0.50-0.60 per sq ft.

10. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Hmmm...you might be on to something there

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

X2

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x3

Here it all goes into a dumpster, so keep your eye out while driving for commercial roofing going on. I'd pull over and ask for some.

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Heres what i do.
    5 big skids (5'4" square)
    Holds 3.25 cords (about 1 years worth for me.
    Used rubber screwed down to skids on the ends and into the ends of 3 splits along esch side with deck screws and fender washers.

20170610_204945.jpg

Chaz, Ashwatcher, VOLKEVIN and 10 others like this.
  14. HDRock

HDRock

You could throw a pallet or a sheet of OSB on to keep from sagging in the middle and just tarp them.
    Put some 8d nails in bottom splits to attach rope or bungees to the tarps , I us rope with nails in the pallets , I tie an adjustable hitch knot that you can slide and tighten or loosen up.
    I use these Tarp Tie-Downs now, they work the best ,they will not come off. Don't get the black clips in the pic they don't hold as good

117800_1_65x65.jpg

117800_65x65.jpg

IMG_20131013_163737.jpg

IMG_20131013_163802.jpg

Could do this to I guess

515wGuGS47L.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    FatBoy85, Lucy, Timberdog and 8 others like this.
  15. justdraftn

justdraftn

I use the ever popular scraps of chip board, dipped in Thompsons Water seal and screws.
    IMG_6873.JPG
    I know these won't come loose.:cool:

16. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I think I've decided based on your post...I'll take four 12' 2x4s (HH are 12' in diameter) and make a tic-tac-toe grid, then use OSB to make a sort of lid. Then I'll cover it in a 20x20 tarp, and tie off with a trucker's hitch around the base. When I need more wood, I'll take the tarp and lid off, then just remove as many layer of the HH as I need.

Thanks for the spit-balling, fellers!

17. Mirkwood Jim

Mirkwood Jim

I've just picked up a load of galvanised roof sheets, some were free as I helped removed them, others I paid £5 per sheet (2.5m x 1m) for. I figured it was worth the investment as I'll be able to top cover all my stacks and they'll last a fair time :)

18. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I ended up just deciding to use the garage as a month's worth of wood storage, and leave the Holz Hausens just out in the elements. I've been burning about a cord/month so far based on my calculations, but expect that to pick up a bit if it ever gets cold this season.

[​IMG]

Timberdog, Horkn, Duvekot and 2 others like this.
  19. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Woah?! Someone stole everything out of your garage. Seriously where do you put all your uh... "Stuff"?

20. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

I have a "drying rack" i built, it holds a cord... My stacks stay in the elements..

I have a 1 cord rack in the house garage I fill up from drying rack, and then restock the drying rack. Basically 1mo's supply for me. Any residual moisture they get from being in elements is well dried off for the 1mo they are in the drying rack.

The drying rack is basically a smaller wood shed... I do plan on building a 4-5cord wood shed this spring.

Horkn and Rangerbait like this.