In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Nice locally manufactured pickaroon

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by BrianK, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BrianK

BrianK

I've been looking for a tool that I can use to stab logs and lift them onto my splitter or my stump when I'm splitting by hand. I'm having back trouble and bending over is killing me. Usually I try to sink my Fiskars x27 into the log and lift it but I know its not made for that and it doesn't always work.

I was looking at hookaroons and pickaroons online and found this one on Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171428480274

They're made at a small tool shop run by a father and son team about 60 miles north of me. I just picked one up this afternoon, $52. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They are a nice size and weight with a 31" white oak handle and they make the handles from rough white oak in their wood shop. I have not had a chance to use it yet but its a good quality tool and its SHARP!!!

The son Brad was in the shop today. Brad heats with wood and I invited him to the FHC forum.

Here's their contact info:

Jeff Hipps
    Shop Manager
    Hipps Tool & Design
    146 Bridgeport Road
    Curwensville, PA 16833

Phone/Fax 814-236-3600
    Cell 814-592-0207
    [email protected]

I'm envisioning a FHC group buy with the FHC logo engraved on the white oak handle. :D

2. milleo

milleo

They look awesome but I envision myself getting stabbed in the leg with it for sure...:emb:

3. BrianK

BrianK

Well, so far I haven't killed myself with my Fiskars x27 which is also SHARP so I should be able to manage this one. With caution.

HDRock likes this.
  4. BrianK

BrianK

I just got home and had a chance to play with this new pickaroon with some logs that need split here. This thing is awesome! It makes handling logs a breeze.

I'll shoot a quick video tomorrow showing what I mean. For guys that have no lower back issues this tool is probably no big deal. For us guys with spinal stenosis and herniated discs it's a game changer. I can stab logs with a gentle swing of the pickaroon and lift them onto the splitter or my splitting stump with one hand without having to constantly bend over. Repetitive lifting while bending over is what really flares up my back trouble.

5. savemoney

savemoney

Looks like a good pick'um up tool. My Pop always said, "work smarter". In this case, less pain is more gain. Only thing is I wouldn't leave it around during happy hour. Would like to have some sort of cover for it when not in use.

BrianK likes this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK

Yeah, in the hand it does put one in mind of a medieval battle weapon.

I'm thinking a 4" piece of one inch PVC pipe with an elastic bungee cord to hold it on the head of the tool.

Attached Files:

Gasifier and savemoney like this.
  7. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Oh geesh! Just what I need...another excuse to spend more money. It is very appealing though compared to the fiberglass handled mass produced ones from Stihl or Logrite.

raybonz and BrianK like this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK

I like to support local businesses as much as possible. This is a nice tool at a decent price, made locally in a small shop. Best way to spend my hard earned cash IMHO.

9. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

That has the same look to it as a Gransfors or Wetterlings axe. It looks more expensive than it's price.

10. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I'm surprised one of these hasn't been a prop in a horror film. That point could do a lot of damage.

11. BrianK

BrianK

Frankly the tip of this thing is horrifyingly sharp for a hand tool. Here's the tip after sinking it into a couple dozen logs this evening: image.jpg

raybonz, Gasifier and HDRock like this.
  12. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Reminds me of an upclose pic of a wasp or bee stinger.

13. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

The only thing they could have done is to make that weld a little more polished and smooth, but you aren't getting that for anywhere near the $52 price and there is no need either.

BrianK likes this.
  14. HDRock

HDRock

I have never stabbed myself with my homemade pickaroon.
    To tell you the truth though I find myself using the tongs more than the pickaroon probably because I'm so low to the ground already, the pickaroon works very well for unloading the trailer though

Bubba and BrianK like this.
  15. Jon1270

Jon1270

How about using a magnet instead of the bungee?

BrianK likes this.
  16. rottiman

rottiman

Thanks for the info Brian. Just e mailed him to see if he'll ship to Canada. Having similar back issues, your right on, this is just the ticket.

17. Stinny

Stinny

"Repetitive lifting while bending over is what really flares up my back trouble." ... my issues are very similar and that constant bending really does the hurtin' thing doesn't it? Don't even have to be picking up anything heavy... but, add 20 lbs or more (100 lb round) and it just destroys any chance of doing much for the next 3-4 days. You'll wonder how you ever lived without your pick. It becomes an arm extension after a while. I can tell your's will need very little swing to stick well in hard oak even. Very nice looking tool... :yes:

HDRock and BrianK like this.
  18. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Nice looking tool. I bought a Peavey brand one a little while ago and have found it quite nice for reaching and picking wood up without bending. They are also mighty fine for pulling large rounds onto the splitter. Their one weakness is close in work. If you don't have the radius for a swing the handle gets in the way. I've been using pulp hooks for close up work but I'd like to try a hatchet sized pickaroon too. Wonder if they can make one......

andybaker, HDRock and Stinny like this.
  19. BrianK

BrianK

Yes, they will make any length handle you want. I originally asked about a 36" handle and they said they can make them any size requested.

20. BrianK

BrianK

I just got an email from Jeff. He said he received your email and is looking into shipping costs into Canada. Hopefully it isn't cost prohibitive.

raybonz likes this.