In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Next winter might go with100% Hardwood Pellets. Curious as to what’s available in Vermont

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by bostonfan49, Feb 12, 2021.

1. unbidden

unbidden

I've burned many ton of La Crete through the years. Very good pellet, always consistent in quality.

2. Tullytown

Tullytown

Someone mentioned the huge harman ashpan ( which i have ).. P61A.. that said i often wonder if that is why lot of people seem to have no complaints about mega ash budget Box store stuff as long as the heat is there.. you know, " can go weeks without emptying the ash pan.". I read this alot on other sites. Personally i burn only good low ash softies like Matras, firs etc even though my ashpan can go forever .. too much ash would almost have my flame smothered in the morning so as a newbie yrs ago i learned to steer clear of lot of budget priced hardwoods and just played it safe with high Btu softies which i dont mind paying more for..just an observation..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Keep a decent supply of Vermonts on-hand because no matter what else you try, you will always go back to them. They really are the best, and have been my “go to” pellet I think since the first year they were sold. If nothing else, this exercise will leave you with a new appreciation for being lucky enough to live in an area where you can get Vermonts!

Having said that, I do like to tinker and sample all kinds too, lol. If hardwood is what you are looking for, like CF said, Cubex, Northern, Comfort are good and maybe available in your neck of the woods? For a blend, look no further than MWP. Take care.

bostonfan49, will711, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Exactly why I don't complain about the ash usually - unless it doesn't put out heat at the same time. I used to have a stove with a very small ash pan and that sucked cleaning it out every week. But I also live in an area that I would have to pay $65-85 to have good pellets delivered. I can get 6 tons for $1,200 (TSC MWPs with discount codes that I get regularly) and pick them up locally myself. Even with La Cretes being at an HD "near" me, I would be paying around $1600 for 5 pallets of pellets to be delivered (if I could take all 5 pallets in one shot). The difference nearly makes my motorcycle full coverage insurance payment for the year.

My P61a is also in a situation where it hates great pellets. Most of them gunk up the stove big time. Most likely because it is heating a small area so doesn't really get up to a good temp before it shuts down. It runs nicely on MWPs or other middling pellets and doesn't gunk up.

bostonfan49 and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  5. Tullytown

Tullytown

Can understand that.. i'm sending heat thruout the downstairs and up the steps diagonally to the 2nd floor bedrooms.
    the P61A runs pretty hot to do this most times.. 24/7 burning..

Lousyweather and bogieb like this.