In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Wood Racks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:D

Screwloose, jo191145 and Eric VW like this.
  2. BHoller

BHoller

Only if that masonry chimney has the required clearance to combustibles. That is where the code requirements for insulated liners come into play. Yes there will always be performance gains from insulating but that isn't a requirement. As a mason do you know what clearances are required around the masonry structure of a chimney?

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Whachu grinnin’ ‘bout boy....:wacky:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :startled:

4. BHoller

BHoller

Because he knows what the insulation requirements are

5. jo191145

jo191145

2” to structural.
    On an outside wall the inner wall is kept 2” away. The brick side walls can be as close as 1/2” away from plywood.
    You’ll want to argue. Don’t. That will pass anywhere except possibly California and I’m not ever going there LOL

6. BHoller

BHoller

I don't have to argue
    IRC2015 - CHAPTER 10

Read 1003.18 it certainly doesn't say anything about plywood being allowed to be 1/2".

This is why I insulate every single liner I install. Masonry chimneys are almost never built with proper clearances

7. jo191145

jo191145

No? You ever see a wood mantle surround floating two inches off the face of a fireplace? There’s a lot of empirical data that trumps book learning in the masonry field.
    I’ve never seen an exterior chimney or fireplace floating two inches off the gable end of a house in 40 years of masonry. Build one and you’ll be fired. No homeowner or GC wants the hassle of trying to seal a two inch gap. Or the aesthetic puke that will result.
    Building inspectors all across this country understand that. So should you.

Screwloose likes this.
  8. jo191145

jo191145

R 1001.11. Read it and weep ;). Has a little picture for ya.

Screwloose likes this.
  9. unclefess

unclefess Guest

you know everything ,we are very fortunate to have you share your extensive knowledge

Screwloose and Ron T like this.
  10. BHoller

BHoller

The fireplace structure is not the chimney structure they have completely different requirements.

And if you bother to read the code you would see an external chimney only requires 1" and you can have trim touching the corners. So is it safe to assume the chimneys you build don't have the required 1" or 2"?

Again that is regarding fireplace structure not chimney structure. 1003.18 is the code regarding clearance to chimney structure. Which is what I said not fireplace structure.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  11. BHoller

BHoller

I do not know everything by any means. But I do know the codes concerning chimneys fireplaces and stoves.

12. unclefess

unclefess Guest

want to inspect my garage stove clearances ,i am not sure they meet the code

13. BHoller

BHoller

I don't understand why so many here has a problem with someone providing accurate info regarding safe and code compliant installs. A homeowner doing the work can take it or leave it. It is their house and safety. But a pro building chimneys for other people should know these things as well as I do.

14. jo191145

jo191145

It’s not safe for you to assume anything. Already told you how I built them. NEVER once in 40 years did I have one inspector say it wasnt perfect. We keep the house side interior block wall 1-2” off the sheathing. The side brick walls with it 1/2” of sheathing. Don’t like it? Too bad.
    I now understand why you’ve been ridiculed on this site. And I was the one person who stuck up for you. Won’t make that mistake again. Your arrogance is dumbfounding.

Screwloose, Ron T and unclefess like this.
  15. BHoller

BHoller

I am sorry but I provided the code clearly saying what was required. And that is 1" for an external chimney 2" for an internal one with trim being allowed to contact on the corners. That is what is required regardless of whether or not inspectors catch it. That is not arrogance at all just stating the facts.

That is why I insulate every single liner I install.

16. jo191145

jo191145

No, trust me. Your arrogant, in spades.

Screwloose and unclefess like this.
  17. BHoller

BHoller

I simply provided the applicable codes. It isn't my fault you don't know them.

rdust and Screwloose like this.
  18. BHoller

BHoller

Or am I understanding your description wrong? Are you saying you do have the 1 or 2" clearance and that 1/2" is only on the corners.

If I misunderstood I apologise. But insulation requirements for code compliance are all about those clearances.

Screwloose likes this.
  19. jo191145

jo191145

See what I mean?
    Have you ever seen a vinyl J channel that’s 1” thick? All exterior wall details need some coverage. Touching two 45 degree angles together at the points is not anywhere near a watertight structure. Even caulked how much rain would it take to soak through an 1/8” corner of a brick?
    You may spend time reading. You couldnt build a birdhouse because you lack logic.
    I’ve been out of residential for 20. Retired for three. I don’t read codes.

Screwloose and unclefess like this.
  20. BHoller

BHoller

So because j channel doesn't cover the gap you don't have to leave the required gap? Where does it say that in irc? I don't spend my time reading. I work on chimneys every day. I read the codes so I know how to provide my customers with the safest possible install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.