In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Wood Racks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warner

Warner

Somebody asked what the manual says and I just happened to have it close by.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The manual doesn't actually mean anything though...does it?! :eek:
    ;););)

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Where did you get that number? I have always heard less than that...and whatever it is, it drops as time goes by due to drying, and when next to a stove (or any other heat source) pyrolysis...and there are documented cases where fires were starting in old building framing caused by hot water pipes...that were under 200*F! (190* if memory serves)
    Here is an article about this subject...there are tons more out there too.
    upload_2020-2-15_16-46-27.png

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

If it were me. I would make a template out of cardboard, tape some pieces together if you have to and then cut some sheet metal like 24 gauge. Then screw it to the side of the rack.
    I have some pieces on the floor under my stove and you can put your hand under it and it is as cool as can be. The reason I do it is because I want the heat going into the air and not into the floor. But it does provide a good heat shield.

Plus insurance companies get a little weird about wood stoves and having things close to it. My insurance company actually came and took pictures of my stove installation.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

You'd be surprised how many do not carry home owners insurance. Heartbreaking stories from the High Park Fires, so many in Stove Prarie, Buckhorn & Red Feather, even some in Glacier View (that did not have mortgages) did not buy homeowners insurance. Not a gamble I would ever take but many do.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. oldspark

oldspark

Ah, good point about the insurance.
    And the flash point of the wood as it gets dryer.

7. NVhunter

NVhunter

Does the manual show the clearance with a shield for the sides? Or is the shield standard on the stove? If it's not listed with a different clearance with a shield then I think the side clearance for that stove is showing 16" from the sides. If the manual says 16" as is, and the shield is standard equipment I think the clearances still are 16". Could be wrong, just guessing.

8. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes. However, the shields don't cover the full sides of the stove; therefore, the minimal clearances has to be from the unshielded parts of the sides. The shields wrap part way around the sides to improve the back clearance of the stove. If one uses a double walled stove pipe the clearance on the rear of the stove drops to seven inches.

However, I do agree that putting an additional heat shield is a smart move; the old adage, "Better safe than sorry."

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Was it BHoller that had some code info?
    Maybe he could give us some insight

10. BHoller

BHoller

It is a listed stove so the manual sets specs. If there is any question it needs to be asked of the manufacturer. But in general no a second sheild won't reduce clearances below 12"

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

Are you sure about this?

I have never heard of a stove's CTC reducing if "one" uses different apps of vent pipe.

Normally, the CTC that reduces by using a double wall vent pipe is only the vent pipe's CTC.....

May want to read once again.

Screwloose and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Englander has some weird deal with double wall pipe on some models (nc13 is one maybe?) where CTC actually goes UP when using DW... IIRC, it is because the draft improves enough to make the stove burn hotter...

13. Kimberly

Kimberly

Scroll back through the posts Warner posted a clearance chart for the stove. I may have read it wrong.

14. BHoller

BHoller

It is extremely common to have listed CTC reduced in the manual with doublewall pipe. Because with modern shielded stoves safe clearances for the stove put the pipe much closer than 18". But you can't do that with single wall so they list a seperate set for single and double

15. billb3

billb3

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.38.53 AM.png

16. jo191145

jo191145

17. NVhunter

NVhunter

So with double wall pipe, and the installed side shields clearance to combustible is 12". There's your distance needed for the racks of wood to be within the manuals specs.

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

?

19. billb3

billb3

That very well could be but what the insurance company /fire dept. /installation inspection municipality team(s) are going to refer to is documentation.
    For the Madison/01 (what I call it)/ 2000BTU version of the Smart Stove there is no difference for double wall pipe (in the documentation) - it's single wall clearances only.
    Once you exit the stove the CTC from the documentation of the stove pipe takes precedence.
    CTC and pyrolysis aging becomes less of an issue if the stock in the racks is rolling stock, it's just not going to sit there long enough to be an issue beyond CTC concerns.

Besides, CTC isn't the only issue with fuel supplies close to a stove. Personally I'd be even more concerned with ember protection and encroaching on that ember protection space. IMO, minimum protection cuts safety razor thin, again, my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  20. BHoller

BHoller

What is it that makes no sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.