In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Wood Racks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice. I wouldnt have paid $37.99, but for $21 im there!

2. jo191145

jo191145

Never had a stove with heat shields. My PH did come with a rear shield but I have no reason to install it.
    I would think if there’s no side clearance issues it would be better if they were removed. The whole idea is to let the heat out of the stove, not trap it. Thoughts?

PS. My sister found out the hard way putting water that close to a pipe is not good. Those pipe joints aren’t well sealed and the draft can pull steam into the pipe creating creosote. If your not having a problem disregard but if you are it may be the cause.

3. Biddleman

Biddleman

I did see at my local TSC that they were clearing out winter items. I may have to stop and check it out. I do have gift card from secret santa.:D

4. Kimberly

Kimberly

:D:rofl: :lol:

5. Screwloose

Screwloose

I have wood closer than the "majority " myself. As long as you are aware of the hazards and know how to monitor it you'll be fine.

6. Kimberly

Kimberly

Haven't seen any issue yet but I will keep it in mind.

7. Kimberly

Kimberly

Stove top currently 550F; wood beside stove 109 F.

8. Kimberly

Kimberly

That is a good question. With good hardwood and stacked to the capacity I hope several days. Time will see and of course how hard one is driving the stove. Last evening the house was wanting to get too warm with our mild temperatures and I had trouble keeping a low fire going. Let the fire go out last night and it was chilly in the house this morning. Cold weather has returned so I may go through more wood.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My co-worker is the local fire captain (and my 3rd cousin)...he says they see this kind of stuff all the time when doing fire investigations...the people almost always say some variation of "I've done it this way all my life, and it never got hot at all"...until it did.
    He says two of the most common causes of fires they find are improper use of extension cords, and improper "stovesmanship" with wood stoves...mainly green wood, chimney issues, and CTC issues.
    Too easy to get complacent, or get busy with life and just forget to monitor things as closely as normal...and that is when "murphy" always seems to strike!
    For me and mine sakes, I always try to abide by the manufactures listed CTC...and usually exceed their recommendations.

10. NVhunter

NVhunter

Just turn each rack 90 degrees and place them on the edge of the hearth and you'll be good to go for clearances I believe. The wood is still right there and you'll be safe from any issues with clearances and combustion worries.

11. Kimberly

Kimberly

I need to dig my manual out and see the clearances again, they are fairly low at the shields. I pulled the manual up online, the clearance from the back of the stove to wall is 9 inches. That should be the same for the sides where the shields are located. So, I should be good if I place the racks nine inches from the side shields.

12. Kimberly

Kimberly

I actually thought about that as well. However, the side shields don't go the full width of the sides. Plus, I don't have the space in front of the racks for the shovel and poker etc. I may do as you say though and see how it works out; but the wood may get hotter where the side shields stop.

13. NVhunter

NVhunter

Where are the shields? I can't see them on the picture you posted. I think moving the racks 90 degrees and to the edges of the hearth you'd be safe. Keep us poste .

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Here is a thread that is less than one month old. That guy thought it was all right and had been doing it also....right up until this point.

Drying wood around the stove

The intention of FHC forums are to show responsible and safe practices. Not "unsafe and reckless"...….

15. Kimberly

Kimberly

OK, I understand. That is the best place for me to stack wood. So if I place an additional shield I should be OK since the stove has a partial side shield as shown below.

side-shield.jpg

16. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Let me calm your nerves....................Everything has a temperature at which it will burst into flames. This temperature is called a material's flash point. Wood's flash point is 572 degrees Fahrenheit (300 C). When wood is heated to this temperature, it releases hydrocarbon gases that mix with oxygen in the air, combust and create fire. Put up a shield on each side if you like...but is it really needed???

17. Kimberly

Kimberly

Some on here appear to think I do. I thought that the side heat shields would be enough to give me safe distance. The stove's manual states 9 inches from the back heat shield to the wall so I figured the same would apply on the sides where the heat shields are located.

18. NVhunter

NVhunter

What does the manual say for side clearances?

19. Warner

Warner

20. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, but there is a shield that covers part of the side; I certainly would keep distance from the unshielded part of the side. However, I can get something; cement board or some sheet metal, and create an additional shield for the rack. The old adage "Better safe than sorry."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.