In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New use for wood stove.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by tfdchief, Feb 25, 2016.

  1. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    I reload and shoot a lot. When I clean brass for reloading it needs to dry. It takes 3 days on moma's kitchin counter but only overnight on the old Hampton
    image.jpg
     
  2. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Mods, I just realized there is a reloading Thread. Redirect my post if you want. Chief
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I think you are okay chief. But probably not too many cook casings on their stoves. :rofl: :lol:

    Did you get rid of all the snow? How long were you out of power?
     
  4. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    I take it you wet tumble. Is there any chance of overheating the brass and making it brittle doing that?
     
    unclefess, tfdchief and Eric VW like this.
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    tfdchief likes this.
  6. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks BS. 'Cause you know I'm not alright. :rofl: :lol: We still have some snow and power was off for about a day. Some 2 days.
     
  7. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Actually I clean in a sonic cleaner and then resize, then sonic clean the lube off and dry tumble. I'm anal about my loads looking like new, or better.
    No chance for them to get too hot. The Hampton's top is a cast hob spaced above the actual stove top. Fan forced air flows in between. The top of the doesn't even get hot enough to cook on. We have to lift the hob off to cook on the stove top. I checked the temp of the cases and pan, sitting on a trivet. 170 degrees. Dries them out in an hour. Otherwise, bottleneck cases take 3 days laying on the kitchen counter and Momma isn't crazy about that. :hair:
     
  8. saskwoodburner

    saskwoodburner

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,612
    Likes Received:
    14,907
    Location:
    middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, Canada
    I wash and clean my brass trailer park style, vinegar diluted with water, and then a quick dish soap and hot water wash n rinse.

    I've dried brass in a hurry in loading blocks, with the missus hair drier. Works in a pinch, although your method would be better.
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  9. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    I understand. In 40 years of loading, I have done a little everything. Back when I was young and poor I made my own tumbler. I now have turbo. I hate to throw it away but can't find anyone who wants it. It works great. Just big and ugly. :rofl: :lol:
    image.jpg