In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New TSC White Bags

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by ttdberg, Aug 21, 2015.

1. PhilaB

PhilaB

Close. Whatcha' got? :)

I found Ligs (bagged truly as Ligs) at a local-ish Ace, but they wanted 6.99 a bag and I couldn't pony up for that when I can get the GS for about two bucks less per bag. Yes, the Ligs are better, but 40% better? The thing that makes PTLs so interesting at Lowe's or HD is they are about five bucks a bag.

2. will711

will711

This place , Joe is a member here and a real good guy , he's always been really good to me and my bro Steve'O, if you want to try a bunch of stuff you can't find in any Big Box .

https://buckspellets.com/

3. will711

will711

That's a BS price on those for sure .

jtakeman and gbreda like this.
  4. gbreda

gbreda

Yeah, ACE in Alton had Okies, Ligs and a few others last weekend. Pricing was really high there and always is

bogieb, jtakeman and will711 like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

They might run better like that - they certainly can't be worse :rofl: :lol::jaw:

gbreda and jtakeman like this.
  6. PhilaB

PhilaB

You're talking about the Maine's Choice? I'd never seen that brand and considered picking up a bag just to check them out. Sounds like I should be glad I didn't bother!

I've decided that from now on, before I buy any brand I've never burned before, I'm going to come here first and poke around. Wish I had found this place a year ago! :thumbs:

ttdberg, jtakeman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  7. gbreda

gbreda

Maines Choice arent that good but there are worse. If you find Maine Woods Pellets (MWP) that is a completely different story as those are a good pellet for not a lot of $$. Any time you have a question, just ask. Someone will let you in on their experience.

As always YMMV, but a Harman really will eat almost anything you give it without a fuss.

Glad you found us, we've been hiding in plain sight. A lot of experience and information here to go along with the crazy train that we ride on. And if you have ever seen a flying pig, it was likely one of us on the way to snatch someones stash :vulture:

8. gbreda

gbreda

Oh and if your are at Wally World, check their pellets. If you see bags with a log cabin on it, look at the bottom of the bag for MWP and an outline of the state of Maine that says Made In Maine. Those are Maine Woods Pellets :yes:

ttdberg, jtakeman and bogieb like this.
  9. PhilaB

PhilaB

Thanks much! I know the place. When I first got my stove, I had even less of an idea what I'm doing than I do now and I bought one of their sample packs of a number of different brands just to get a handle on the thing. I also picked up a couple of the cheap ubiquitous bags from HD (back then, Green Supreme was the "store brand" carried by HD and they were under $4 per bag), and that's how I came to find out that my Accentra would burn just about anything I threw at it, and I've burned mostly the cheap(er) stuff since then.

Yup. Just like that! :yes: Eats anything except Inferno Gold.

jtakeman, bogieb and Bucks Pellets like this.
  10. PhilaB

PhilaB

Only pellets I've seen in Wally World are Pennington. Don't remember what the bag looked like, and I didn't write down the UPC. I've not heard glowing reviews however.
    Those aren't the ones with the log cabin, are they?

jtakeman, bogieb and gbreda like this.
  11. gbreda

gbreda

That's odd because a few years ago Inferno Gold were pretty good. I havent burned them in a while though. Wonder if you got a bad batch or if they went downhill ?

bogieb , didnt you get some from Lowes during the fire sale? If so, how were they?

jtakeman and bogieb like this.
  12. gbreda

gbreda

oops, sorry ,man. This was the Wally World bag-the one with the stove on it..... my bad

[​IMG]

13. PhilaB

PhilaB

I'm thinking I got a bad bag of the Inferno's. They are softwood, and should have burned great, but they just didn't.

I have no idea how old they were or how they had been treated, so I'm thinking it was just me. If not, they would be out of business.

That was definitely not the bag I saw at Wally World, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in the future. Thanks for the tip!

14. gbreda

gbreda

Years ago, there were Infernos that were the absolute worst. Knows as dirt in a bag. Inferno Gold were a different manufacture

15. bogieb

bogieb

sorry, yes I was talking about the Maine's Choice. Sub par heat and very ashy., Fortunately my stoves have big ash pans and heat smaller areas so I can get away with them (especially at $100/ton from the fire sale a couple years back). I have to empty the ash pan of the P61a every two weeks - with most middling pellets I can go 3-4 weeks.

schoondog and jtakeman like this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

If you haven't tried them in a couple of years, you don't know MC. I burned them the first year and they were okay. This batch is on par with Therma Glows I had a couple years ago. Actually, I'm not even sure the TG's were this bad. However, the price was right and they keep the house warm so I'm not complaining on my behalf. Just saying unless you get them really cheap, you will be vastly disappointed.

17. bogieb

bogieb

Inferno Golds put out a bunch of ash but they also have good heat - at least those I got spring of 2015. Actually saved those for my could weather pellets over the MC as shoulder pellets.

18. PhilaB

PhilaB

Here's a pic of the Inferno Gold that I had troubles with:
    P1110379.JPG

It has all the right buzzwords on the bag, but my stove just didn't like them. Hard to get lit, and high ash compared even to the cheapie brands. I got them at a Lowe's last year and haven't seen them since. I don't know how long they had been in Lowe's stock, so maybe they were a couple years old even when I bought them?

It was probably just a bum pallet that had been sitting outside absorbing moisture for a couple years before I unsuspectingly bought a bag. They may have been great pellets at one time, but by the time I got them, they were Dirt in a Bag!! :rofl: :lol:

ttdberg, bogieb, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  19. Bags

Bags

Yeah, It's a bummer because all of the other tons of Sets have been great over the years. Always consistent but this ton is very different. It is a fluffy ash but doesn't want to knock down much. I've been pushing it down in the ash pan.

Last night I fired up my Woodmaster because it is so cold and staying cold awhile. I haven't ran it the last couple of winters. The P68 will do the job but I plan to replace door ropes and do a good clean while the PIG is eating wood. It is due for a thorough clean and the ash pan is stuffed as is. That and the OWB needed to be ran and I want to get rid of some junk piles of wood.

I have seen a couple of others complaining about Sets this year and a buddy of mine has the same issue with what he is burning now. They still throw plenty of heat but man that ash is out of control. I have started mixing in some corn with this batch of pellets and hopefully it is only this one ton that is ashy. I had almost a ton leftover from last year and bought 4 tons this season. I'll be a little jacked out of shape if all 4 tons are this ashy. It'll be enough to make me buy Greenways or Pro Pellets again because I don't want to deal with this much ash.

I talked to another guy down in KY earlier and he said what he bought this year was the same old good Somerset pellets. That and he scored them for $169 per ton. Great price. i paid $199.50 per ton and thought I did well.

bogieb likes this.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm pretty positive that the 449394 031717 =Most likely Green Supreme's(NEWP's) are indeed NEWPS. Even has the code on the bag.

2222 being the Schuyler NY plant. Date code may have been changed up to 345 day of 2016 though.
    345 = December 10 Saturday(week #49)

bogieb, wildwest and slvrblkk like this.