In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New (to me) truck. Finally.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

New to me Taco. This is one that the frames rotted off. My buddy decided to take the warranty and they replaced the entire frame and replaced all brake lines. Book value is $11,000. I got it for $4500. Andddddddddddddd....he said not to pay him until I sold my farm. Nice friend to have. Got it transferred today and drove about 200 miles getting all that done. It drives like it’s new! I know it’s not a real truck but it will do everything I need for a long time.

2CB9E765-B47B-40F6-9CD5-9C5F0FF2AA79.jpeg EEAE148A-7251-4587-9606-B686DBAB7A13.jpeg

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

It's got 4 wheels and a bed on the back that will hold wood...that makes it a truck...nice. . .

3. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I would have bought that truck in a heartbeat! With the new frame on her, you got a rig that will last as long as you want to keep it. The Tacoma and some some second generation Tundras had bad frames from the Dana corporation. Toyota did a huge recall and inspected, and if needed replaced the frames. I would rather have one like yours with a complete frame replacement versus the coating that some got.

leoht, Hammy, eatonpcat and 7 others like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I like it, Brandon. Use it for all things wood hoarding! And anything else!!!
    :yes:

leoht, wildwest, Hammy and 8 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Brandon Scott don't worry about it a real truck!! It should run great for 250k miles!! That makes it real!

leoht, wildwest, Hammy and 9 others like this.
  6. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Considering I’ve been in minivan hell for more than 11 years I’ll take it.

leoht, wildwest, Hammy and 10 others like this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz

X2 ^^^

That Yota should serve you well for many years.
    :yes:

8. Horkn

Horkn

It's got a body on frame, longitudinal engine and drivetrain with rwd bias, and a bed on the back.
    It's a truck then.

Nice score Brandon Scott !

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Congratulations on the truck, Brandon Scott !
    Looks to be in great shape!:handshake:

10. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Even has a rear locker.

11. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

When you get here don’t park too close to it. Don’t want your Dodge sucking it down the intake.

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

wildwest, Hammy, eatonpcat and 8 others like this.
  13. Chaz

Chaz

X2 ^^

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

:hair:

14. Horkn

Horkn

Nice. We love our distant brother of your truck, our 04 v8 4runner. It's been super reliable.

15. James Miller

James Miller

Not real trucks seem to get alot of work done for people that dont worry about others opinions. I've been beating the s word out of this 1/4 ton Dakota for years and it still doesnt realize it's not a real truck. 20190330_121129.jpg

Snigg, leoht, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  16. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

They put that engine in the 4 Runners of that vintage. That 4.7 toyota 2uz V8 is a very good engine, which some engineers have said is the best production V8 ever made. When engineers did testing on the million mile Tundra all mechanical parts was found to meet or exceed specs for a new engine. I have the same engine in my 2006 Tundra. Thirteen years old and runs as good as new, with plenty of power. There is not even a loose thread in the interior. No adding oil between 5000 mile interval changes. All parts are original, except the water pump which I replaced when I did the timing belt.

Thanks to yearly Fluid Film treatments there is no rust to speak of on the frame or body, which is amazing for a vehicle of its age enduring our snowy and salty MN winters. Other trucks of similar age which are driven year round typically don't look too good around here.

I am 55 and expect my truck to last until retirement. It gets plenty of real truck work besides being my daily driver.

Tacoma, T100, Tundra, Land Cruiser, 4 Runner, Sequoia, are all great trucks, not to mention the Lexus GX460s and 470s. My wife has a 2006 RX330. While not technically a truck, that vehicle is very good in the snow, and extremely reliable as well. It replaced our 2004 Suburban after the kids grew. It was a pretty good truck, but not the cheapest to maintain, as a lot of little things were always going wrong with it, or falling apart, but it never left us stranded. It was already getting very bad body rust before I sold it 2 years ago. I see occasionally around the neighborhood, and it is looking pretty rough, but still running.

For small trucks I like those Dakotas and old Ford Rangers. There are still a few of both of those on the road around here. I think the new Ranger should be a good one too.

wildwest, Horkn, Hammy and 4 others like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If it keeps raining like this, I think this will be my next wood hauler... FullSizeR.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Stephiedoll, Thor, Chaz and 10 others like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, you could get the 4.7 in the 2003-2009 4runners. After my wife had 2 different 95 and 98 3.4 v6 4runners she needed more power. The v8 fixed that issue. It's a real shame that yota doesn't offer a V8 in the 4runner. Yes you can get the Lexus gx, but the new spindle grill is ugly. We also like the normal tailgate, not the side swinger that the gx has. We've thought about getting her a new/er 4runner with the 4.0 and putting a supercharger on it. Her 4runner we got new in January of 04 and it has~180k on it and it's not needed much. The water pump and the timing belt and consumables is all it's needed. 6500 mile full synthetic oil changes and it's happy. It doesn't burn any oil.

19. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I think DexterDay has these tires on his Dixie Chopper, widest mower I have ever seen!

Horkn, Chaz, TurboDiesel and 4 others like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

thats a really cool pic!

Horkn, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 2 others like this.