In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New To Forum need Pellit Stove Advice....

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by MiMod, Oct 2, 2019.

1. imacman

imacman

Again, find what pellet brands are available locally and report back with names & prices. Yes, softies are great IF they're a good brand and a decent price, but same can be said for the hardwood too.

slvrblkk, Dpopps, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  2. MiMod

MiMod

imacman, I certainly will get back to you on that as soon as I have had time to ck. Oh by the way I really appreciate the extra effort you put into finding me a source for deals on a stove. That was good stuff.

slvrblkk, Dpopps, imacman and 2 others like this.
  3. Rich250

Rich250

Couple of Q----- It was mentioned BTU rating, what is your recommendation ? Go with a stove a bit bigger then you think you could get by with.You can always turn down a bigger stove but you can't turn up an undersized stove running full tilt

jtakeman, slvrblkk, schoondog and 4 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Both of these are true. Also, what seems to work for, say, my P61a and its set up, may not necessarily translate to someone elses's P61a and set up.

I usually find the value for my money is with certain HW/SW blends (Main Wood Pellets, FiresideUltras, PTL's). In this case my definition of value is a balance between cost, heat produced, ash produced, and what is deposited in the exhaust vent pipe.

If I can get a really good HW (Hamers or Cubix) for a decent price (usually off CL) I jump on it. Some people (okay, a lot) rave about SW's, especially Douglas Firs, but my stoves are sort of ho-hum about them. However, if I find Vermonts, I know my stoves love them, so once again I will jump if I can find a good CL deal.

I would worry more about what the BTU's your stove is capable of than BTU's that pellets are rated at. Also, it would be good practice to get a stove that is capable of more BTU's than you think you need - it is easier to make a stove burn less hot during warmer weather than it is to get it to burn hotter than it is capable of during an abnormally fridgid, or long cold spell. Here is a BTU calculator that takes into consideration a few variables.

jtakeman, slvrblkk, subsailor and 4 others like this.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Careful with those ratings. Some are actually a gross rating and seem bigger than they actually are.

The BTU requirement will all depend on its location and also a pellet stove is a gradual heat unlike the blast of a wood stove. Hard to compare a pellet stove to a wood stove.

Better to dig into the unit of interest and get the rough pounds per hour rating and use an average of around 8400 btu's per pound. Should bring the units closer to reality!! :whistle:

2K sft should be in the 50K BTU range or Larger IMHO. I'm heating a similar space with 60K from the basement. I'd also keep the woodstove as a backup/assist if possible for the colder parts of the season. And the power outage possibilities. As the season gets colder the BTU requirements will skyrocket!!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    schoondog, Dpopps, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  6. MiMod

MiMod

Well, After Looking around I'm favoring the Drolet ECO-65. Reviews I found seem good & it meets my BTU needs & Hopper Size. Wildwest suggested this unit. Its about $1000 more than the Vogelzang I was previously thinking about... So hopefully more $ means Higher Quality & Longer life.. What do you all think ?

imacman and bogieb like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

I've heard good things about Drolet, and if it meets your requirements and $$ range, then go for it.

imacman likes this.
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

same-o

imacman, bogieb and subsailor like this.