In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New to FHC-I think I may have been ripped off

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Hunker down, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Hunker down

Hunker down

Would it be worth while to add a fan to the wetter wood splits? I imagine it won't do much as the real thing, just thought I would ask

2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Wet it certainly is and firewood it certainly isn't. I'm not so sure it is in advanced state of decay though. It does kind of look like splitter junk, shorts, bark and other fodder that spent some time on a wet paved surface and then were loaded into a truck with a bucket loader. The color on the larger pieces actually makes them look pretty fresh. That's basically an unstackable pile crap with some small burnable chunks mixed in.

HDRock likes this.
  3. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Welcome to the club, HD. That is a pitiful looking load of wood that was delivered to you, the seller should be ashamed of himself for even delivering it.

As has been said here already, the 3 Year Plan (as we call it) is the best way to KNOW you'll have top quality wood come heating season. It ain't real easy to get there, but once there it's not hard to maintain....all you ever really have to worry about once at the 3 year mark is replacing what you use in one heating season.....your wood will always be seasoned that way.....

Drvn4wood and raybonz like this.
  4. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

That says it all Scotty! I want to bolster my current supply and hopefully can get beyond 3 years with the current wood shortage in this area..

5. CTYank

CTYank

Who proclaimed 3 years' supply to be the goal? I'm working on 5-8 years, to infinity and beyond!

Can't have too much, and it can't be too dry!

Helps to be retired and experience the odd hurricane, though. :cheers:

$ooline and raybonz like this.
  6. splitoak

splitoak

Three yeats is a great goal..its a lot of work tho..lol..im steady workin that way...btw the seller would have turned that load around..sad how people do each other..:picard:

wildwest and raybonz like this.
  7. Hunker down

Hunker down

Update: reached out to B&B Firewood, at 101 Hawkins Ave, Ronkonkoma NY. (631) 335-4058. Well the owner Bob, came up with every BS excuse: First he said how do you know it's wood from me, second, said it was from the rain we had last week. Even though I tarped it immediately. Third, now this is rich, said it should have been stacked the first day. Fourth, claimed he never said it was seasoned. You can't make this S**T up. I attempted to reason with him and asked only to swap out the extremely wet splits and I would load them into the truck! Bobs answer, I am not in the business of sending my trucks to swap wood. From there it was explicit and he hung up the phone. I finished stacking this load of junk and the kicker is that it is know where near a chord of wood. Now it is social media time, BBB time and consumer affairs time. How I see it I will be thanking him for the free wood in about 3 years, thanks to all you nice people!

kukuna, fox9988, coal reaper and 5 others like this.
  8. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

In Mass. we have the department of weights and measures that has jurisdiction over this sort of thing..

9. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

10. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Anybody up to calling the guy to see if he has any seasoned wood?:rofl: :lol:

Gary

11. CTYank

CTYank

I'm hoping to hear that this guy gets his due. In spades. Or clubs. :p

If you search them on Google, you'll "hit" a page where you can leave a review. The one existing review there mentioned staggering unprofessionalism. Time to pile it on!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    milleo and $ooline like this.
  12. Hunker down

Hunker down

Just to put salt in my own wound, I had to clean up 10 black leaf bags of bark, scraps and the like off my drive way. I was such a novice. I truly thought, call for chord wood, chord wood gets delivered, stack chord wood, burn chord wood, family is warm, have many beers in the process and all is good in the world. Unless you have Ebola! Just glad I found this site. Maybe next fall I will not be a novice.

kukuna, Drvn4wood, bigbarf48 and 2 others like this.
  13. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Next fall you will be giving advice on this website and helping out another novice woodburner!!;)

Drvn4wood, HDRock and raybonz like this.
  14. Drvn4wood

Drvn4wood

All kidding aside, I would be burning wet oak and wondering what was wrong with my stove if I hadn't found this place. The best part about FHC, you can ask an honest simple newbie question and get real answers instead of getting killed by internet heroes. Great group of members here. And stuckinthemuck is right. If you follow this site closely you'll learn so much so fast it's unreal.

raybonz, Grizzly Adam and bigbarf48 like this.
  15. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Sounds more like internet zeros!

stuckinthemuck, Drvn4wood and dutch like this.