In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New saw...run it first or port it out of the box?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by GrJfer, May 7, 2014.

1. GrJfer

GrJfer

Okay, if you were buying I new saw would you run stock first for a while or have it ported from the get go? Saw in question is a Husqvarna 562XP.

Let me hear your thoughts.

HoneyFuzz and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Hate to void a warranty by modifying the saw..

3. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Run it for a while first
    may find out it runs fine & don't need modified :)

Like Ray said :
    Warranty thing is a biggy too.

HoneyFuzz and raybonz like this.
  4. thistle

thistle

I would wait until warranty expired before even thinking of modding it.

A "new" saw is somewhat foreign to me - except for the pole saw I splurged on in June 2012 to save my back/shoulders,the last new saw I bought was in March 2000.

5. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Or maybe you'll find you don't really get along with it that well? Fit and feel and such?

porsche965, HoneyFuzz and draftgear like this.
  6. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

My vote is to run it awhile. Even if you don't plan to run it through the warranty period, there are certainly times when saws have from-the-factory issues which you'd hate to find out after you've voided the warranty.

I only have one ported saw. I sought out a 'like new' condition one that was freshly out of warranty - broken in with known reliability. I ran it just long enough to have a feel for the stock performance and then had it seriously worked over.

HoneyFuzz, draftgear, raybonz and 2 others like this.
  7. GrJfer

GrJfer

All good points. I now some folks don't worry about warranty.

To NewToStihl's point, I am looking at a like new saw so a new product warranty won't apply. I guess running a while stock would insure I like the saw enough to want to port it. For that matter I may not feel the need to port it.

HoneyFuzz, draftgear and raybonz like this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I just voided the warranty on my two new saws. :). But y'all knew I was going to do that anyways. ;)

I would run it enough to ensure you like it enough to keep it. Porting does not really significantly boost the resale value.

9. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

X2... I'm in this boat as well. I had 2 that "were" under warranty and sent them out and a 3rd that I opened the muffler up on (that is an easy fix).

It all depends on your level of sickness :)

Some can run a saw and be completely contempt with it. Other want a "X" class saw with "X" class power. In your case, you would be taking one of best (if not the best) 60 cc machines and getting 70 cc power out of it (better power to weight)

Run it for awhile first. If your not happy, then port it. Because if and when you do?? You will be sending any other saw you have out.

Having ran a 562 a fair amount, I will say that you should be fairly contempt with it. To be 59 cc, it's a mean machine.

HoneyFuzz and draftgear like this.
  10. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

The only contempt I would have for a 562 would be paying for it:)

basod, HoneyFuzz, draftgear and 5 others like this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I agree with the above. But make your own decision ultimately. You may realize you want to stick with stihl and then you will want to find a 036/360 to run port.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem

I was very close to getting a 562 a few months ago, but went a different route. As with anything I buy, I read a TON of reviews, etc. I'm pretty sure you're going to like the 562. I don't think I've read a recent review where anyone said it was anything less than a mean machine right out of the box. They also seem to be pretty reliable, so once you get it I doubt you'll part ways with it, and warranty work seems unlikely. All good arguments to port it right out of the box.

I'm of the opinion that you might as well wait until you wished the saw had more power before giving it more. After it it stops giving you that feeling, muffler mod it. When that wears off, port it. Not much you can do with a ported saw to make it feel like a brand new saw again.

My new saw feels plenty good right now....but it'll get tinkered with in the future.

We sure are getting a lot of 60CC interest lately.:saw:

13. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

One could just get a new 562 from Terry L. and have it ported before delivery... I got one from him last year, and have never run it when I didn't say "damm!" This thing punches way above it's weight class...
    He can also take care of warranty issues if needed I believe... Being a dealer...

14. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Agreed... All 3 saw makers have really stepped their ~60cc class saws... They all dandy's...

15. mdavlee

mdavlee

Stock saws suck period. Some are tolerable with a muffler mod and maybe a 7900 is tolerable stock. Other than that port them.

porsche965, HoneyFuzz and DexterDay like this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

The warranty would only be 6 months anyway. It's an XP saw. The warranty is based on the saw, not the use (commercial vs homeowners).

So buy it, wait 6 months, then port it ;)

17. draftgear

draftgear

+1
    Also after reading a lot of forum posts for the last couple years, I wouldn't hesitate to start right of the bat modding the muffler for any new saw. May not bring about the most power, but its cheap and you can go back to stock real quick with a new muffler.

HoneyFuzz and clemsonfor like this.
  18. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Sorry I have to disagree Dex, :whistle:

Husky warranties are 2 years, 3 years if you buy some oil, and 4 years if you buy their pre mix fuel. XP's don't matter.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/support/extended-warranty-program/

I have two ported saws and I have a 288 XP Lite being ported right now. But I would probably run the 562 XP for at least a while. They are so strong stock. I recently traded a 1 year old 562XP for a new 562XPG, I like the model so much, but I like the heated handles better.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  19. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

My 562xp was only a 6 months warranty. :(

This was about 3 years ago when they 1st came out. Had a bottom end failure. They ended up covering it. But they told me immediately that I would be paying out of pocket. There was 2 bulletins that they didn't make aware to current owners and I ended up getting them to cover 100%.

The oil thing wasn't available back then and they know I am just Johnny homeowner.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  20. capetownkg

capetownkg

The 562xp is a nast saw. I love mine and its stock. Like firewood Bandit said if you buy the oil or pre mixed fuel it gives ya some additional time on the warranty.
    I want to get mine ported and get some outer dawgs for it. But for now its staying stock it hasn't come across a tree it couldn't handle for me at least.

HoneyFuzz, GrJfer and DexterDay like this.