In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New porch screen

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Smokinpiney, Apr 1, 2016.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Anyone have a decent online sourcefor rolls of porch/window screen? It's time to redo my front porch since the screen is starting to tear and show a few more holes here and there. The current screen i have is a wire mesh not fiberglass and I'd like to replace it with the same. I just don't think the fiberglass stuff is as durable. I need at least a 96"x50ft roll.
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  2. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Ever thought about the vinyl mesh that greenhouses use for shade screen. Stuff is pretty dam tough.
    I use a 10oz version for tarps on my trash trucks and it lasts a long time.
    Its pretty reasonable and you can get custom sizes made with gromets so you can take it down if you want.
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Amazon has it.
     
    Eric VW and My IS heats my home like this.
  5. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Not a bad idea JustWood but it doesn't look very see through? I still want to be able to see out of the porch.

    Jack, ive only been able to find the fiberglass stuff on amazon.
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  6. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,343
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    It may help to check out the local rebuild stores, habitat for humanity, goodwill type. You never know....
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I did not see regular aluminum screen in 96" widths on a quick search. I did see 72" wide.

    I have aluminum on the front porch in wood frames and most of them are over 10 years old. Those are up from May to October. I have fiberglass in the back porch with the screen tight system year round. Not as durable, but replacing it is quick and simple with the system.
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Minnesota Marty and Eric VW like this.
  9. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Smokinpiney, have you looked up Hurricane rated screen? Would last longer, by default.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  10. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    That's a great choice too.
    I've done several screened porches with my dad, before the new systems were made available; we'd build basic frames that were removable for the winter months.
     
    HDRock likes this.