In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New pellet stove recommendations--Harmon? Enviro? others?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DanP, Jan 2, 2020.

1. DanP

DanP

I've been nursing an Englander PDV-25 along since 2007. The last few years have required a great deal of nursing, and I think it's time to give up and buy something new. What I want is the pellet stove that is most likely to last longest--I'm willing to pay a bit more if I can be confident I'll get a long life out of it. But I can't find any reviews anywhere that talk about the long term reliability of any of the models I'm looking at.

There are two stores in my area that have models I can look at in stock and that will come to my house (way out of town) to install and service them. So I'm strongly inclined to pick something they sell, if at all possible.

My favorite dealer only sells Enviros. I'm looking at the Enviro Meridian Cast Iron, although I'd like to also look at the Enviro M55 Cast Iron.

The other dealer in town sells Harmons. I'm looking at the Harmon XXV Cast Iron, although I'd also like to look at the Absolute 43.

The last time I looked, I spoke with a Quad-Fire dealer, and was pretty impressed by them, so I thought my next stove would be a Quad Fire. However, that dealer went out of business. I could get a Quad-Fire through my favorite dealer, but it would be special ordered, I wouldn't be able to see (or hear) it work before buying it, and they said they may or may not be able to service it. So I'm strongly inclined to get an Enviro or a Harmon, unless everybody on here thinks Quad-Fire is way more reliable.

I've read a lot of reviews of Harmon, and there seem to be a fair number of people saying they used to be wonderful, but the build quality has suffered in the last few years. I can't really find anything at all about the long-term reliability of Enviro. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As I said, my chief goal is long-term reliability. That's really goal 1-5. Goal 6 is probably ease of use, and goal 7 is quietness. I'd also prefer to get one made in the U.S. if possible, and I'd prefer a larger hopper to a smaller one, although my wife gets to veto ugly stoves, and she's already vetoed most of the ones with big hoppers.

Thanks very much

DanP

Russell, ivanhoe, imacman and 2 others like this.
  2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Can’t offer any advice to pellet stoves, but Welcome. Someone will be along soon to offer advice. I’ve only heard good of Harmon though. I know there’s often advice to purchase quality used if you are mechanically inclined, as they’re fairly simple to repair.
    Anyways, pull up a stump or whatever you pellet burners use, grab a drink(coffee), and stay a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell, ivanhoe, imacman and 3 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

:thumbs:

Russell, ivanhoe, imacman and 2 others like this.
  4. subsailor

subsailor

1. It's Harman.
    2. Where in Maine are you?

Russell, ivanhoe, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  5. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I have a 12 year Harman Accentra FS that is reliable, easy to clean and service (I do it myself) and looks great. (Passed the wife's veto with flying colors). Every part that can wear out is easily replaced so I plan on keeping it forever. I have looked at the new versions of mine and didn't see any questionable build quality. Personally, I like the manual control board vs the digital one but that's just me.
    I bought mine used last year. I stole it for $1000. Even if I replaced every wear part in this stove, it would still be half the price of a new one.

Russell, savemoney, schoondog and 5 others like this.
  6. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

I'm not sure what the "latest and greatest" stove is nowadays. Many good ones to choose from.
    But I bought a Enviro M-55 Cast Freestanding in 2011.
    Put about 36 Tons of pellets thru it since then. About 4 tons a year.
    Installed myself and I'm the only one to ever service it.
    Only serious repairs made were both done this year.
    I replaced the 3 Convection Blower Bearings for about $15.00 and about 2 hours of my time
    I also replaced the Level Up and Air Trim buttons on the Daughter Board. About $2.00 and 1 hour of time

Overall I'm very pleased with my stove and how it has performed and held up over the years.
    Good luck choosing a new one.
    ---Nailer---

Russell, savemoney, schoondog and 6 others like this.
  7. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Welcome to the forum! Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of those stoves...they ALL have their pros and cons.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Ssyko, Russell, Tullytown and 6 others like this.
  8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Harmoan and Enviro, can't go wrong!!

Only thing I can say is all the cool kids have Enviro's!

Welcome to the site DanP !!

Ssyko, Russell, ivanhoe and 6 others like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Can't be! I gotz one. o_O

Just sayin :whistle:

10. DanP

DanP

Thanks to you and everyone who's written in. The nearest dealers are in Bangor, though I'm a long way north of it.

Russell, ivanhoe, imacman and 3 others like this.
  11. ironpony

ironpony

Welcome aboard,

Harman set it and forget it.

Luneyburg, Russell, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

More proof that all the cool kids have Enviro!! :cool:

13. ironpony

ironpony

give me back my avatar.............you Ford driver

Thor, Russell, SmokeyTheBear and 4 others like this.
  14. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

no, no......the cool kids have Harmans........dont hate us cuz you aint us!

Russell, eatonpcat, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  15. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Can't speak for the other brands, but I can say the Harman's really heat if/when needed.

Russell, savemoney, imacman and 3 others like this.
  16. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

True Statement for Harman's absolutely true and has what you seem to desire , heck what anyone would desire.
    Have both P series and could not be happier, can not speak for the Enviro but I use my Harmans as primary heat not supplemental and they perform perfectly .

On the P68 replaced the probe, auger motor, and the daughter card which I believe was a bit wonky from the get go. All 15 minute jobs and I burn through some serious pellets at a minimum of 12 tons a year. Super easy to maintain and no fuss about having to switch anything when changing pellets the stove will take care of it perfectly (trim ect.)by itself. Room temp mode works perfectly with truly keeping within 1* in the room where the thermostat or probe is.

P43 have had one year less and have done nothing but held a strict cleaning schedule and it has performed perfectly for 3-4 years now.

Welcome aboard !

17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Only need one if you go Enviro!! ;)

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:D

Ssyko, Russell, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

All the really cool kids have stoves they have to play with. Where you are you need a stove that throws a lot of heat.

20. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

If that were the truth I would have one my friend :)
    But I live in a partially renovated and I emphasize Partially 160 year old house that has a field stone foundation which has not been touched since I have moved in here.
    All I have done in the basement is replace the main carrying beam so its damp its cold and drafty hence the reason one stove will not do the trick for now .
    Love your skill at pitching so now I hope you catch as well as you pitch .

Good stuff and I need it humor that is .

Thanks

Russell, ivanhoe, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.