In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New OWB Install Planning

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by lukem, Nov 14, 2017.

1. synermead

synermead

I get all my wood for free. Already buckled up just have to pick it up, split and stack. I usually pass on the popular as I seem to get more than enough spruce and I like the smell. Had some aspen last year but the ash it gives off holy cow. Birch is like gold around hear so pretty hard to get for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn likes this.
  2. Creekin

Creekin

Haven't cleaned my tubes, didn't see it in the owners manual, was thinking i should do itthis fall but with work piling up it just never happened

Talking to a friend who is switching to used oil from coal, and i asked him how he was going to clean his flues
    He says with a small crank auger device that fits the tubes then brush the remaining
    Hmmmmm, I'll have to see this on how its made/works

Horkn likes this.
  3. Creekin

Creekin

How often do you load your boiler?

Horkn likes this.
  4. synermead

synermead

Mild temps once a day. If it drops below-10 twice a day. Not always a full load either.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  5. synermead

synermead

I was talking about the spirals that also work as tube cleaners. The handle on the side that moves them up and down. Mine will need a good cleaning at the end of the season. Will remove the spirals and figure a way to get it down to the metal. If your at the factory maybe ask them and let us know.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Creekin

Creekin

I will!

Horkn likes this.
  7. nsmaple

nsmaple

There is a controlled way to do that. If you want. 'Outdoor reset'. Involves a temp sensor, controller and mixing valve. Principal is constant circulation while varying (mixing) supply temp.

Edit: Oops, meant to quote last post on page 7.

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. lukem

lukem

Thanks. That sounds like what I'm after.

9. lukem

lukem

Been really, really mild here lately. Boiler doesn't have much demand at night...and almost none during the day. Had it go out several times.

I think the biggest cause, other than lack of demand, is the wood I'm burning, which has been 90% hedge. Hedge will burn hotter than the blazes of hell when it has some air given to it, but it doesn't idle well at all.

Other than having to put a propane torch on it to wake it back up, the boiler has been flawless.

I've tried a couple different ways of loading it and landed on this for best results in staying lit, not bridging, and getting the cleanest burns.

1. Burn it down to a nice be of coals.
    2. Push the coals toward the left and right side to expose the nozzle.
    3. Place one medium sided split right on top of the nozzle.
    4. Push the coals back up along the sides of the split over the nozzle.
    5. Place a big split on top of the coals along the edges.
    6. Place a few smaller splits on top of the medium split in the middle.
    7. Top it off in a pyramid shape with as many big/medium splits as you think it will take to get to the next reload.
    8. Put one or two smaller splits sideways in front to fill in the gap between the pyramid and the door.

Sounds kinda complicated, but it really isn't.

About 7-9 total splits is currently lasting me about 24 hours right now in this weather. After 12 hours I'll push everything toward the center and occasionally add a split or 2 if I think it needs it to get me to the big load in the evening.

brenndatomu likes this.