In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New OWB Install Planning

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by lukem, Nov 14, 2017.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wow, sounds like you G400 owners are pretty happy campers...I am gonna hafta make sure my brother and dad give these a good look again...they seemed to think the 400 would not be quite big enough...but after reading how much space synermead is heating, I think they are wrong! It would need to feed (2) houses, about 1600 sq ft each, a 40 x 60 shop with 16' ceilings, and a 30 x 40 shop with 12' ceilings. All pretty decent insulation I'd say.

So what is the difference between the G and the GS series? Its not real clear on their website...

Horkn likes this.
  2. synermead

synermead

That’s pretty comparable to what I’m using with the extra space I’m heating. I’ve been burning spruce I got last spring as it drys fast if you split it right away as well as some old fir and tamarack. I have a pile of polar but that hasn’t dried enough even the split piece. I have next years wood already stacked and am working on the following year now. Another note is I’m running a 500k heat exchanger right off the back of the boiler so the system is a close loop at 15psi. Do you drain your boiler in the spring? And if so do you reuse the water? I have a tote I can store it in if that’s the best thing to do.

Pex pipe from shop to house.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wood before split and stacked last spring.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn, Thor, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Creekin

Creekin

I think its just a few small features, but I think they are basically the same

If memory serves, i think its rated for about 8000 sq ft. So it should heat those two shops nicely

I keep shop at 20°c and house at 23°c,
    I actually think the house is just as big of a heat load as the shop at 1/4 of size (140 years old and poor insulation)

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Creekin

Creekin

Wow nice wood pile!!! And beautiful house!!!

I don't drain it in spring, just leave it in there, although this fall discovered a leak on my one supply line in fall which drained most of the boiler,

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Is that just conduit for the water lines? No insulation!? :jaw:

Horkn likes this.
  6. synermead

synermead

Gs is a less expensive model . Doesn’t have the loading door and different panels on the outside. Info is on the brochure. Are you going to put it outside? If there is space inside it sure is more enjoyable loading and servicing. Also as I mentioned it heats up the shop just from behind in there otherwise that heat just goes nowhere. I’m burning soft wood and keeps up no problem. I’m sure the guys with access to hardwood with even be better off. I believe the 200 would even do the job but would have to load it more often. When it fires it heats up about 1’ per minute.

7. synermead

synermead

Thanks. Good thing it was an easy fix for the leak. Does your bypass door cause you any problems? The guy I bought it from welded it shut as he said the creosote would cause the gasket To stick and would the fall out. I believe he was putting in wet wood as he swapped to a conventional boiler. That’s why I had to add the exhaust over the loading door.

8. Creekin

Creekin

Sometimes I think I should have gone with the 200, but happy i have the capacity to add heat to the garage if needed or another outbuilding

I am hoping i can get away with 10 cords or less this winter, will make it easier to get ahead
    Have about 9 ish cords of elm that i have to finish splitting and stacking, after Christmas looking to get 6 or 7 cords of poplar cut and hauled home

9. synermead

synermead

It’s the close cell double 1” flex pex. The good stuff. No point cheaping out on that unless you want snow melt for the driveway.

10. Creekin

Creekin

I get some buildup on the door, not bad though, just scrape it off, i lost the smoke curtain flap somewhere so i do get smoke out the door depending on where it is in the burn cycle, been meaning to pick one up at the factory

11. synermead

synermead

I should be able to keep track of my use next year better. We heated all last year with just the wood stoves. House wasn’t as warm, used more woo, more work and dusty house. And the shop was cold. Best investment ever. I still use our small wood stove in the family room every evening as it’s just nice to have that type of heat. Hoping to split a couple more cords over Christmas. Nicer to do when it’s not too hot out.

12. cnice_37

cnice_37

Firewood AND trampoline hoarder?

13. Creekin

Creekin

First year got a log load and cut and split for a few days, sucked big time! No idea how much I used, supposedly 13 cord load.
    Second year cut and bucked into a big pile and split as i went, under a tarp, sucked too!
    This year cut and split i spring, fall i stacked the boiler shed full with roughly 8-9 cords, the rest made pallet rack bins to bring in with the bobcat

Plan for next year is stack shed full with hardwood and bins with softwood, burn through the softwood first and when it gets cold out then pull wood from stack in shed, stays nice and dry

14. Creekin

Creekin

One is good, three is better?

Horkn, cnice_37 and brenndatomu like this.
  15. synermead

synermead

I see your in Manitoba? You close to the factory? Have you posted any pictures anywhere on the forum? I almost bought a closed loop boiler out of the states but after Trump put the steel tariffs on it wasn’t financially viable.

16. synermead

synermead

That’s sound like a great plan. I’m building a lean to off the shop next year to cover the wood. I did the north side but that was for the horses, chickens and equipment. The south side will have sun hitting inside in the winter to help keep the drying going all year. I was able to pick up 2 dump trailer loads of Manitoba Maple but it doesn’t put out much more heat than the spruce as the BTU charts show but will be good next winter for any cold snaps. What hardwood do you have access too.

17. Creekin

Creekin

I actually live 10 mins away from the factory, used to work with the owners son years ago
    Helped in my decision to buy the unit

They are in the process of expanding big time, massive shop as demand seems to be going up and have outgrown current location

When I was looking at buying, found some leftover units from global hydronics, (factory was 5mins away) but after a bit of investigation found major issues with welds and such, why they went bankrupt

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. synermead

synermead

2 were given to us and the other was $100 on Kijiji. 3 gymnast in the family and 1 hockey player. Keep them busy and active

19. synermead

synermead

Lucky you. I had 3 tube cleaners bend on me. Had to pull them out and straighten. Has that happened to you and what caused it? Some of the old wood may have had some moisture in it from sitting on the ground. All wood is stacked on pallets now over gravel.

20. Creekin

Creekin

I have burned mb maple ( box elder)
    Well, it burns! But pretty light on btus!

I have access to more poplar than i care for, but nice for warmer weather, lots of ash and 20mins west lots of oak,

I prefer oak and ash, but will take just about anything if its close by, if you consider cost of big 3 ton truck, saws, and time, will take the hardwoods for sure! Softwood has to be close by and free!!