In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Japanman, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Japanman

Japanman

The house walls are about 4 inches of mud stuck to a woven bamboo frame. You can’t even knock them with a sledgehammer you need a big chainsaw to cut through them. Even a brick wall falls after a few good sledgehammer hits but these are far tougher than they look.

2. Japanman

Japanman

Went to the local co op veg shop and picked up some seconds grapes and some apples to send to the mother in law. Grapes work out at $50 a kilo because some have a mark or two. They usually sell for around $100 a kilo. They sell by the bunch and then weigh them. Really top quality they taste like grapes used to taste but have been bred to be larger. Really natural and sweet. Small scale rice farmers bag up their rice and sell by the bag with their location etc on the bag. Local quality rice is about $4 a kilo or $40 a 10 kilo bag. This is more than double back home but tastes nothing like the rubbish rice from large scale farms. The difference is like homemade sourdough bread to supermarket sliced bread.

Attached Files:

3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Irrashaimase Japanman. Always good to see another perspective. Had a member here briefly who was US Navy. Introducing myself....Hello from Japan! I also spent a little time there in the southern islands... nice people over there and amazing culture and history.

4. Japanman

Japanman

Cheers.

The Honma stoves are really poor quality they are sold in the big box stores here. Whilst they are around $1500 when you factor in the cost of the cost of the flue and installation being around $4k I feel it’s a waste. $5.5k for a crappy stove you are gonna hate? It’s a real dilemma here.

I went to the upmarket stove place earlier today and a fully installed Vermont Castings is gonna be $13k.

I really need to contact some people in the US to see if I can that can be had cheaper and or better. I’ve actually only ever OZ brands so I don’t even know if the Vermont Castings is any good.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Welcome
    Vermont castings are made 150km from me and while not horrible parts are hard to get here! Definitely not a top tier item now. Older one 1980’s were better.

Midwinter, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 4 others like this.
  6. Japanman

Japanman

Cheers!

Gonna stay clear of them then.

Midwinter, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 4 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I would Woodstock or blaze king if I were paying...

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

SBI in Canada makes several brands, we have a Drolet Blackcomb. It is a EPA rated tube stove, not as pricey as some of the others

9. Chaz

Chaz

:faint:

I was wondering if shipping a stove there from the state's would be prohibitively expensive, but perhaps not, when comparing local costs.

WOW!!

We purchased a Woodstock Ideal Steel stove in 2017, didn't complete the install till Jan of 2018 due to inclement weather.

It's a great stove and can heat me out of the room.
    :rofl: :lol:

When I spoke to the people at WS, I was told this stove is a bit more than I'd need for my heating purposes, but I wanted to make sure the house is warm under the worst possible weather.

You could always zip them an email and I'm certain they'd work up a quote for ya.
    :yes:

Simply beautiful place and area you are calling home.
    :)

10. Japanman

Japanman

I called Blaze King and they told me they have a shop that sells their stoves in Japan. I asked them who and the guy said he would get back to me by email. So I’m waiting for his reply.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Blaze King might have a slight advantage since they are on the west coast of USA (less shipping cost?) but they also only sell through dealers...so I think I would still call Woodstock too...they deal direct and it sounds to me like very personal service from what everybody here says! Tell 'em Dennis Backwoods Savage sent you! :handshake: ;)
    Welcome to Woodstock Soapstone

12. Japanman

Japanman

Got a phone number or link? There’s a Woodstock dealer in Japan but their website is terrible to look at as a foreigner. A direct number to the sales dept would be ideal.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

15. Japanman

Japanman

16. Japanman

Japanman

Where is the phone number? I have clicked “contact us” but no phone number.

17. Japanman

Japanman

I clicked the “contact us” yesterday and can’t get a phone number. I’m using an iPhone but it shouldn’t matter.

Attached Files:

18. Japanman

Japanman

Wife showed me. Not a good site with an iPhone you have to turn your phone around 90 degree to get the full screen. Maybe an older web design. Anyway I will call them tonight when they open.

Attached Files:

19. bear 1998

bear 1998

(603) 298-5955....pulled this off there facebook page

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Many sites are like that...my phone does it too...even on FHC, sideways viewing has more info available than the upright screen does.
    Don't miss my link above to their sale page...scroll down, there is lots of good info there...something to chew on for a while :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019