In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New IS. Air circulation fans?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Marshel54, Mar 28, 2018.

  1. Marshel54

    Marshel54

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Messages:
    1,663
    Likes Received:
    12,913
    Location:
    Ohio
    Just ordered an IS for the 2018 season. From the testimonies on the forum, it will put out way more heat than I would need. That is a good thing. Going to try and get a couple fans in place this summer when the stores have them.
    What fans, brand and model, do you use to circulate air? Am I better off with a low volume fan or high?
    When I had the Rebel in place, the box fans I bought from the cheapo store barely moved air on high and probably not blow out a candle on low.
    I remember from my youth, we would talk into mom's fans to hear the change in our voices. We would put a box in front of it, climb into the box and pretend we had an airplane. Not so with the modern fans. They couldn't blow a Tumble Weed out from in front of them on high.
    Do they still make high volume box fans, without going to a barn fan, or has the government regulated them them?
     
  2. BDF

    BDF

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2014
    Messages:
    2,160
    Likes Received:
    7,533
    Location:
    Virginia
    I use a couple of 9" round general purpose fans to help circulate heat around my house but not from the stove itself. One used to sit on the newel on the stairs to blow down and into the kitchen, the other at the end of the house, on the floor, to force cold air back toward the living room where the stove is. 6" fans will work but they have to be turned up a bit too high for our liking so 9" or 12" round fans work best for us as we run them continuously on low all winter.

    Brian
     
    Backwoods Savage, Maina and Chaz like this.
  3. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    They do indeed still make box fans that can move some air, but as BDF stated, I don't think that's what you'll need, but that decision is yours to make.

    I have a box fan upstairs pointing out a window that helps to draft air through the house in the summer.

    With the IS we really haven't needed to move the heat around much. Used to have a pedestal fan behind the old stove, haven't needed it at all this year, but we have a small house.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Roger, just keep in mind you don't want to move much air else you'll feel a cool draft and that is not good in winter months.

    Here is what we always used when we needed it. Now Judy uses it mostly to keep herself cooled off. I like it warm in here. It works good in summer too except if run on high it is too noisy for me. For winter air movement, we just ran it on low. Now with the Woodstock stove we no longer need it to move air in wither though. The blades are really small for this fan.

    The fan measures 9 1/2" wide and 11 1/2" high. So the blades are probably less than 4". Three speed. Another reason we like this fan is we set it on the floor and it is small enough to not get in the way.
    Vornado fan.jpg
     
    wildwest and Chaz like this.
  5. BDF

    BDF

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2014
    Messages:
    2,160
    Likes Received:
    7,533
    Location:
    Virginia
    The fan sitting on the newel blew air into and downward into the kitchen. Every time my mother would come to my house and sit at the kitchen table, she would complain about the 'cold draft' from the fan. I tried explaining it was that 'cold draft' that was heating the kitchen but that just did not work. So I would turn off the fan and the kitchen just kept getting colder, which she would mention after a while. In the end I gave up and shut the fan off and kind of heated the kitchen with the electric oven.... not efficient and absolutely not cheap but it seemed to work best. Of course when we left the kitchen table and my mother sat next to the woodstove, I could shut off the oven and turn the newel fan back on. :) I am not complaining because it was just not a big deal and a very small price to pay, just pointing out the amusement of being chilled by the thing that was providing all the heat in that room.....

    Brian

     
    Backwoods Savage, wildwest and Chaz like this.
  6. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    BTW.. Thx BDF I had no clue what a newel was till you posted that and I googled it.

    Makes one wonder, is there anyone out there still trying to sell encyclopedia's anymore??
    I can't imagine there is, but who knows. :loco: :crazy:

    My folks weren't rich when I grew up, but my dad was a teacher so we actually had a set of regular AND scientific encyclopedia's when I grew up. I loved reading them, we also had a full fledged Websters Dictionary. :emptywallet::emptywallet:

    Whenever I would find a word that I didn't know, I looked it up. Guess that habit was so ingrained that I continue to this day. Google makes it cheaper and easier though.:yes:
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,645
    Likes Received:
    144,587
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    x2 Marshel54

    I have a very similar model in our unheated bedroom, during the day it points parallel to the floor during the day to blow cold air out and warm air returns above that (Backwoods Savage taught me well), at night I angle up to my side of the bed. I also have a bigger version in large room (both living room and kitchen), that one is to move cold air from the floor so the warm air up by ceiling moves down. Both Vornados are practically silent on low.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. BDF

    BDF

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2014
    Messages:
    2,160
    Likes Received:
    7,533
    Location:
    Virginia
    My brother taught me that word when I bought the house I am in now and it had a rather fancy 'vertical post / assembly at the end of the handrail'. He claimed just saying 'newel' was easier. :rolleyes::D

    Everything imaginable has a name, and many things unimaginable (necrophilia...... shiver me timbers!). But most of us, and certainly I, do not know many of the words available. So it is easy to turn up a new word even into old age although after a point we forget faster than we learn (DOH!).

    This one time, in banned camp, a German asked me what the English word for "burning at the stake" was. ?? I said we just call it 'burning at the stake', probably because we did not do enough of it to actually need to assign that act a word. He got a little cranky because he thought I was holding out on him but really, as far as I know there is NO English word for that action. But there is a German word for it- maybe they used to do a lot of it? Perhaps as a punishment for not learning enough words in vocabulary class? :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

    Encyclopedias.... I do not know but I cannot imagine anyone actually printing full sets of them anymore. ?? The big Encyclopedia publishers may still be around and 'publishing' on the Web these days, you know, access for a day for $1, $35 for the year or something like that perhaps?

    Brian