In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New folks and first time burners, "Please read"!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by WeldrDave, Oct 26, 2017.

  1. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Make an appointment right away, the company I use was 3 weeks out in the middle of summer. When they did come, it was a rainy day, and they went right up on my metal roof. I was biting my nails, but I guess they have special soles on the shoes they wear.
     
  2. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    Scheduled for two weeks from tomorrow. Thanks for the kick in the azz!
     
    Midwinter, WeldrDave, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    You don't have to do that. But when burning cut-offs or super dry stuff, just burn a little at a time. And for sure at this time of year it is hard to believe some folks still think they have to fill the stove. What is wrong with burning, say, 3 splits at a time? Most times then you will not get a super heated house nor need for windows open. Oh yes, there still may be a few times when 3 splits will roast one out but that is rare. We've had it where it was cold and the house was cold but it suddenly warmed up outdoors and house got hot. It happens but we don't over-fill the stove to make it happen.

    One year in particular we had lots and lots of lumber cut-offs that were all super dry. We never overheated the stove or house but it provided us with lots of great heat in the fall and early winter.
     
    HDRock, FatBoy85, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  4. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    In this day and age of internet there is a ton of good information available (not like in the good old days BWS :thumbs:) so no reason to be an uneducated wood burner. And yet we have many people who seem to not know the basics, after all you are introducing a box of fire in your house.
     
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    This is the same road im walking on now. Just experiment and glean the experience. Call me cautious, I saw a bit over 600°F on my stove top within about 3-4 inches from the edge of the front. (Stove company manual says any temps over 600 is considered overfiring for the stove.)
    I just decided to just throw some ash to just calm it down. What I was burnimg was some oak and maple 1x3 cabinet cutoffs and these were placed on top of the fire so naturally they went up fast. Not many though. Maybe 6 about 10 inches long? You can probably gather that my draft is strong as well. I believe the fire was hot there because the baffle has the 2 or so inch gap just above the door. The fire wasnt deflected much. So Here’s my learning curve. I’m only laying out the truth that isn’t exceptional.

    With that being said.....I am aware of several stipulations 1: stoves are meant to burn wood. Built and tested HARD. I keep this in mind and mostly my fires have not overheated me out of the house. Just made it nice to open a door as it was just dropping to mid 40’s . Very wonderful inside. The kind that just gives you that very satisfying feeling. Alright maybe I should have wondered why I didn’t think about this earlier as well. I digress...
    2: I will promise to give myself some leeway. This isn’t a set up where you set it and forget it but rather set it and relax. Check it. I did this last night putting a half round of maple and some madrona in there for coaling. Worked excellent. Within about 10 mins before shutting down for the night i just checked got it down to barely closed and left it at that. Did I say it was extremely satisfying? Mhm this is the meaning that my house has become a home. Another living breathing being and I have lots of wood to feed it. :D
     
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    BigPapi and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Yes, but it still happens!... No reason to have car accidents, "but" they still happen!
     
  7. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    That’s an inevitability that no one will control. We don’t expect anything but we all can limit the occurrences by practicing.....well you probably know what to fill the blanks in with. Same goes with fires. A little common sense goes a long ways.
     
    Backwoods Savage and WeldrDave like this.
  8. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    A car accident is a whole other issue, a chimney fire is no accident.
     
  9. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    We had an AHA moment here too after moving into this new to us house, fortunate that I found FHC while looking for advice on changing out both woodstoves (no furnace, primary heat). We had no idea the time bomb was ticking in the 1952 chimney with a slammer. THANKS!
     
  10. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I was just trying to make a point about paying attention to what your doing! :picard:
     
  11. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I'd bet a dollar he had the air choked way down smoldering the wood during a mild Winter.
     
  12. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Possibly, I didn't ask him. I only burn't about a cord last year and it didn't look like his wood pile moved much at all, so I'm assuming he was burning "crap" all winter.
     
    Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  13. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Makes me wonder why he did that when he had wood? Or Im assuming he did since you’re saying he had a pile.
     
    WeldrDave and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Some people are so poor they can't pay attention.
    Just having a little fun.
    Chimney fires are no joke for sure.
     
  15. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Oh i see what you did there.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    He had about 4 cord of dry and about 2 cord fresh cut, "year old". He is one to not pass up "free"! :whistle:
     
    Mag Craft, papadave and FatBoy85 like this.
  17. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    No I say not. Boy it makes you think a bit about it right now....I would have to reason that someone trying to take advantage of free but at a disadvantage of not a great idea. Gotta credit him for being resourceful but that bit him in the azz.

    I do try to get as much wood as I can to be not treated or anything like that. Lumber cuts etc I just try to follow the rules. Nothing green. They apparently do have a salt borax mix that is supposed to be on the lumber now and I tossed that when i found out what it was, but likely to just use most of my lumber cuts for outside burning. Save one for my stove. No need to have salt burning holes in it.
     
    WeldrDave likes this.