In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New folks and first time burners, "Please read"!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by WeldrDave, Oct 26, 2017.

  1. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I'll try to be short..:whistle: so here goes; Today I went to assist a very good friend in cleaning his chimney because I have the rods and brushes. For the record, this gentleman is "not new" to burning, but this will show anyone can make a mistake or just not think about results.

    Him and I are in our mid 50's and we flipped a coin to see who was climbing on the roof to get the cap off his pipe, Well when "I" got up there... "You can see who lost":whistle: The cap was almost closed it was so gooked up!:eek: We cleaned this last year as we do every year. So, I asked him what the H@!! was he burning??? He shrugged his shoulders and said his usual pile of Gum, Maple and Hackberry. :confused: All this was well seasoned and I burn it also, so it couldn't have been that! Sooooo with further "prying" I asked him "what else"... He said, he'd been bringing home a lot of "plywood and varnished flooring scraps" last winter from his work and burning that for kindling and getting a good hot fire quick! (Any problem here folks??? "GLUE" ) So I basically gave him a verbal scolding and he now understands that this was almost a Disaster ready to happen!!! He is burning a older Harman and when we took the pipe apart it was restricted about 50% inside. :jaw: I'm so sad I did't have my camera,:( but I didn't think about it and it was "nothing" like this last year! So, lesson learned from someone else mistake folks, "DON'T" burn anything with glues, stain, varnish or anything as such, that also includes cardboard boxes that are glued. Also, "please" take the time and inspect your set up, it may save your life!

    Happy burning! Dave:fire:
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Hammy, Boogeyman, wildwest and 30 others like this.
  2. Ronaldo

    Ronaldo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2015
    Messages:
    1,775
    Likes Received:
    11,275
    Location:
    Iowa
    Great Post! Thanks for taking the time to alert others. Sometimes simple things we do and don't realize or think about can have ugly consequences.

    Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
     
    wildwest, Todd 2, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,161
    Location:
    Central MI
    Such a shame that this sort of thing happens every year. No wonder insurance companies want to charge high rates.
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Wow Dave, just Wow.
    When we moved here and I didn't know any better, we went ahead and started having fires. Unknown to us was the fact that the flue was 1/2 full (literally an 8" pipe and less than 4" not full of the stuff) of fluffy ash deposits from prior owners burning habits.
    After struggling with the stove, I went up and checked. That was my "AHA" moment (among many others).
     
    wildwest, Mag Craft, Todd 2 and 8 others like this.
  5. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Lucky for him it didn't combust!!! It was "ugly" Dennis! If I had been closer to home I would have gotten my camera! He is just soooooo Lucky or was "blessed" ;)
     
    wildwest, Todd 2, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Blessed to have a friend like you with the knowledge to educate.
     
    Gark, wildwest, Mag Craft and 8 others like this.
  7. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Him and I used to work together, I kinda thought he knew better! :picard:....:whistle:
     
    wildwest, savemoney, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,161
    Location:
    Central MI
    Sad to say Dave I know exactly what you are talking about. Even my FIl had it happen. One time, on a Thanksgiving morning I was called because the house was filling with smoke. A mile away but did not take me long to get there. Chimney was really plugged bad and here I was trying to break it loose and it was still dark outside. One morning I'd rather forget...except for the lesson.
     
  9. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,380
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  10. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Thanks for the reminder WeldrDave! We can always learn from someone else’s scoldings to prevent having one ourselves!!! Valuable lesson and certainly not underheard.
     
  11. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I tossed a bunch of cuts of prefinished oak from a project just finished. It was hard for me not to burn it but with the finish and all I'll sleep better at night.
     
  12. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    You’re likely to breathe better too. Along with the rest of us. If we knew the STAAAAAGERING figure of those who did this sort of thing and deserved more than a slap on the wrist.....I think the majority of us would just be in epic surprise. Almost makes you want to give wood to this guy so that he can understand why burning splits is better than the manufactured stuff. By Far. I hope to just know what to say when someone is burning this stuff when I see it.
     
  13. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    My friend was just trying to "stretch" his firewood out and made a dumb mistake.:emb: We didn't have a bad winter last year and instead of burning big stuff, he brought home this other crap. I don't think he "realized" just what he was doing and also I think in his case it was an honest mistake. To him he saw "free" BTU's which almost got him in a world of hurt!!! I'm glad he didn't light off before we cleaned, it may have been more than a scolding, he may be calling his insurance company after his place burn't down. It was really a awaking for him, and I had never seen one quite that bad! o_O
     
  14. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I admit that I do hoard lumber cuts, mostly will burn these outside though with the exception of some hemlock and small DF blocks for a quicker and hotter start. But nothing like this fella. I may get my stove hot its best to just have a hotter fire than get a chimney fire going! At least you can control one of the two.
     
  15. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    As I do also, I use small "splits" of 2x4 and 2x6 Kiln dried stuff for starting, and only that. But "nothing" with paint, glues, varnish, stain or such! Plywood is "HORRIBLE". it's full of glue.
     
  16. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Yeah and I had my small share of some temps that looked too high on the IR therm. So I took action, realized it was kiln dried splits but the flame was too direct. Best to get a split on top of that and keep those torch like fires to a minimum. Just block them off.
     
  17. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I use strips of cardboard to get a fire going all the time but I don't stuff the box full of it.

    I had a big chunk of square wood that was mixed in with other wood from a scrounge, 8x8 was about 16" long.
    I threw it on the splitter and split it and all of a sudden I started smelling something kind of like gas, took a big whiff of the wood must have been creosote soaked.
    I said no way I'm burning this in the stove, I had a bark fire going so I threw it all in there, wow those chunks took off and burned like they were soaked in gas, burning hot, black smoke coming off them.
    I would hate to think what would happen if someone put 4 splits of that stuff in their stove.
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  18. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    All I can say is wow. That was a honest mistake that any number of people without a cat stove might make.
    I always pull the top section of pipe off while up on the roof other wise it is to tall for me to reach. That gives me a good bird's eye view of the pipe when done cleaning.
     
  19. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I did my share of stupid stuff. No one back then that knew any better either. Wish I knew then half of what I have learned here. I swear the Lord was looking out for me much the same as He is now. I try to tell folks about this forum and how they can learn to burn correctly, burning clean and efficient.
     
    wildwest, BigPapi, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    This home is my first experience with stoves. Woodstove downstairs, and VC Fireplace on the first floor. I didnt burn much of anything downstairs last year, and glad I didnt. When I pulled the elbow off the thimble and looked inside a few weeks ago, I saw giant 1/4" thick 4x4" chunks of type two creosote that had broken off and fallen to the bottom. Needless to say, I skipped climbing on the roof with the brush, and I am going to have them both professionally cleaned and inspected as soon as this rain clears.
     
    wildwest, BigPapi, MikeInMa and 7 others like this.